Stars on Ice....3 New DVD's...for only.....$19.99

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by FSWer, Oct 19, 2012.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

That's right my FRIENDS!!!! I just got an e-mail from the IFS. Magazine Newsletter annoucing 3 brand New DVD's.....For ONLY...$19.99...you can own the...1993,2011,AND....2012 Tours of Stars on Ice!!! For those interested here is the Link...
    http://www.starsonicedvd.com/

2. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

After numerous requests, they have finally listed all the musical selections for each DVD. I wish the DVDs for the 2011 & 2012 were complete or nearly so (showing the programs that were not originally aired on TV), but the 1993 DVD looks like most of the show, if not all of it.

3. waddlercu

waddlercu Member

Too bad that the 2011 & 2012 DVDs are exactly what was shown on TV. Hrm. Glad they finally listed the music. (I sometimes get the impression that SOI's office is flying by the seats of their pants.)

I'm excited to have a DVD of the 1993 tour, though. I can finally throw out my SLP copy of and SLP copy VHS tape!

4. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

How much of what was shown on TV. is on each DVD.? Who from each Cast Tour,is NOT on each DVD.? Does anyone know why there efited? Because as far as I know...you can make a DVD. as long as you want. Unlike VHS. were you can only work with 8hrs SLP.,etc.?

5. waddlercu

waddlercu Member

6. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

What exactally is not on the DVD.? All the Music the Skaters skated to on TV.? OR all the Skaters? What do we mean by music list?

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

If you click on waddlercu's link, there's a list of all the programs (music) performed by the SOI skaters that are on the 3 DVDs.

8. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

How is all the music not on the DVD's? Did they only put the Short Programs on the DVDS

9. marysy

marysy Active Member

Darn it! I was really hoping to see "Waiting for My Real Life to Begin" and the "A Life Loved"/"Up" number, but it seems neither is on there, and I ordered before seeing this list. I love Katia, but wish they had included "Feeling Good" rather than the Captain and Tennille number... It seems odd that they wouldn't have the entire show, you'd think they would've recorded the whole thing.

10. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Did they edit the Music on ALL 3 DVD's? How many songs are edited? I agree with you Mary....it DOES seem odd. As as I said before...unlike a VHS.....a DVD. has NO end. It's just like a Record. They should need to worry about editing music. Maybe their intentions were to just put fav. Programs on the DVD's for Fans. Because SOI. is curtainly no 4hrs. long.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Sometimes it's a music rights issue (some of the music in the show may be more expensive to purchase for use on DVDs to be sold).

12. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I know in the past that some of the music rights are purchased for the live shows only. So they can't broadcast those numbers without being sued. So I would think that would have something to do with it too. If there were no plans originally to release a DVD, the only edited footage may be what was shown on television. For the sake of costs, they would not re-edit for the DVD.

Additionally, I know from personal experience with filming that sometimes a crew thinks they got something only to find out in post production that the lighting was too poor on camera or other issues are problematic with the quality of the final product.

13. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Gee,it sure would be great if a Deal can be made for future DVD's of SOI. giving permission for full recording of the Shows. I'm sure that we MIGHT notice things missing from the 2011/12 Tours of the set (if they were shown on TV.,as I never heard of them being on TV. this year or last). But as for the 1993 part of the set...I serously doute (sorry if those are spelled wrong) anyone could even tell anything...or for that matter....even REMEMBER the whole Show.

14. waddlercu

waddlercu Member

Ah, that's right... the 2011 and 2012 shows were only televised in select markets. I was just lucky. I'm glad others will have a chance to see it, then.

In other Stars on Ice news, looks like they're returning to Lake Placid at the end of December. I won't be able to make it (for the first time since 1996!), but I hope they issue another DVD next year.

15. marysy

marysy Active Member

Thanks Sylvia and ArtisticFan - it makes sense that there might be music rights and/or filming issues. Still, I'm sad for those of us who weren't able to see the show live last year. It would've been a good opportunity for skating fans to see what they missed out on, and I would think there would be more buyers of the DVD set if there was more than what was already shown on TV.

16. waddlercu

waddlercu Member

I agree, Mary! I thought last year's SOI outclassed all of the Disson shows. It deserved a 2-hour national broadcast.

17. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

So only curtain stations broadcasted soi.?

18. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I know that college basketball pre-empted it in Atlanta one year. I had set the DVR to tape it only to get basketball instead. It is not broadcast live so in some markets they change the time or don't show it at all. Local affiliates have a say in what gets broadcast. So if a local sports broadcast will bring in more viewers and more revenue then they will certainly go with that.

19. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

In response...I don't know if it happens with you all. But here (I'm not sure about Skating),I have turned the NEWS ch. on with the News listed on the TV. Guide ch....and they have a Game on instead.

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

In the email, they mentioned Gary Beacom. I guess he's "Cast."