Stars on Ice 2013 (syndicated 1-hr special!)

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Frau Muller, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Another Stars on Ice special -- the 2013 edition -- is now making the rounds on syndicated TV...so keep an eye open for airings in your area. By sheer luck, I happened to catch mine in the Washington, DC, area yesterday, on the local NBC station (12 noon to 1PM), as I was waiting for the NBC shows to begin. I missed the first 15 minutes but caught it & began taping at the 15-minute mark, just as the Kerrs were being announced. Best of all: Dorothy Hamill is back in the show! Wow, she looks great!!!

I'm going to try to catch this show live because of Dorothy, although there's much else to love, such as Kurt Browning, Ilya and Katya, etc.

Edited to add:
    Eegads! I just saw that this year's tour has only four stops. Living in DC, the closest show to me appears to be in Portland, Maine...or maybe Chicago would be easier to get to? Phooey! A stop in Hershey, PA, is promised but only in 2014 (and likely with a different cast, just returned from Olympics...I prefer to see veterans like Dorothy & Kurt).

Check this out:
    http://www.starsonice.com/?content=tickets

The show seems to have been filmed in Japan, judging by the lettering on the boards. I caught solo and group numbers with: Kerrs, Ilya & Katia, Navarro/Bommentre, Dorothy, Kurt, Shawn Sawyer, Joannie Rochette, Ryan Bradley. Dorothy skated to a Streisand song ('As if we Never Said Good-bye') and Kurt was fabulous in his famous 'Singin' in the Rain' routine.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

*delete*

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

The Hershey, PA show (of this season's tour) took place on New Year's Eve (the night after the Lake Placid debut). Usually the tour has come to Hershey in late March/early April. We were shocked when we found out the date of the Hershey show (as we fully expected it to take place in March 2013), but we had ordered our tickets in advance and stayed overnight in Hershey to avoid the crazy New Year's Eve drivers. The show was super, so I'm hoping that more cities are added to the TV airing list since so many markets in the US were left out in the cold for this season's live itinerary.

4. momnatur

momnatur Member

I read somewhere that this is Kurt's farewell tour (US cast) and that Dorothy was doing the show in celebration of Kurt. If all that is true, this may well be the death of the tour, which would be very sad, despite the small cast. There is such a rich history to Stars on Ice! Maybe we need to start up a write in campaign.

5. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Indeed, the TV show mentioned various times that this is Kurt's farewell. There was a touching interview with Kurt before he skated his 'Singin' in the Rain' number.

6. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

While I agree it will be EXTREMELY sad to see Kurt leave the cast after carrying that show for years, the show I saw last night evidenced that this show can and will thrive without him. At least in the Canadian cast, they have the skaters to carry it. I think if they brought in skaters like Dorothy, Nancy, Tai and Randy maybe (even one per year) it could really help be a draw. I also think two skaters that the U.S. tour could benefit from signing would be Nicole Bobek and Johnny Weir. They'll be fine. They've made good casting choices for the most part for years, I'm sure they'll figure out a way of making it work. Keep in mind after Sochi, they can probably get skaters like Jeremy to join the cast full time, maybe Ashley and Meryl and Charlie as well.