Stage collapse at Ind. State Fair

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by victorskid, Aug 14, 2011.

1. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Live reports on CNN - at least a dozen hurt. It happened after the opening act; the band Sugarland was about to take the stage.

2. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

How awful! And I have friends attending this fair; gonna check on them now.

3. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

5. shan

shan Well-Known Member

How awful! :(

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Terrible!

Thanks for posting this news. I have not watched TV in several weeks, but I do check the news on the internet everyday. I just did not do it today.

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Horrible. :( I just saw this tweet from Sugarland: "We are all right. We are praying for our fans, and the people of Indianapolis. We hope you'll join us. They need your strength."

8. missflick

missflick New Member

Similar to what happened in Alberta a couple of years ago, before Kevin Costner and his band were about to perform.

9. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

There was also a stage collapse here in Ottawa just last month. Fortunately no one was killed and apparently no one seriously injured although a few were taken to hospital. In that case, it was a similar weather situation.

10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

11. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Here's another article linking to photos. There were a lot of fans helping emergency personnel lift the pieces of the stage to get people out.

12. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I heard about this, but somehow didn't really grasp the full extent of the disaster until I saw a video on Gawker. :yikes: How horrible.

13. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Just saw the video. Going to think twice about any event with weather like that. Authorities thought about evacuating and didn't. So sad.

14. shan

shan Well-Known Member

That video gives me chills. How terrifying for the people there.

15. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

That is so sad. Five people who are in the hospital are from the area here around Cincy. :( Earlier tonight the news said that a severe thunderstorm warning had been issued for the Indy area and showed the big blobs of red and yellow level storms heading for that city. I'm astounded that the higher ups didn't seem to do anything to warn the people at the fair about the bad weather heading their way. Would it have hurt to postpone the next concert for about a half hour while the storm came through? I guess we'll never know. RIP to those who died and speedy recoveries to those still in the hospital. :fragile: :(

16. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

They usually only suspend an event if there is lightning in the area. The police did alert the crowd that there was severe weather approaching only a few minutes before the wind gusts, but I think that was designed to get the audience prepared in case they evacuated due to lightning.

I don't think anyone expected that kind of localized wind to come up so quickly.

17. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

This is terrible. I was in Indy last week: most hot, humid weather, but sudden storms, including an intense electrical storm about an hour north. Even the weather report didn't predict the very quick changes.

Very sad for all concerned.

18. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I have gone to several outdoor events where huge storms rolled through, and I never thought to worry about the stage collapsing. This is awful.

19. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

My friends are ok. But dang, this is incredibly sad :(

20. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

I used to do photos for concerts and I have seen huge storms move in and blow everything over and never have I seen a stage go down like that. I've seen where the cover has been blown off. The beams have rocked. Something wasn't right about the set up. Nothing else in the area was blown down.

21. brina

brina Well-Known Member

I live in Louisville and we were hit with a sudden wind storm the same day; It might have been the same one. There are trees, powerlines, and billboards down everywhere. It looks like a hurricane came through.

22. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I hope everything is ok there too. I visited Louisville in September 2008 right after Ike went through and there was so much damage.

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

24. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member