Stabbing at a Texas college near Houston- 14 injured

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Horrible incident and thank god no one was killed. There are two who were seriously injured and still in hospital.

3. Vash01

Two are in critical condition. I hope they survive. A 21 year old suspect is detained.

4. heckles

heckles Banned Member

Because the anti-gunners never use a tragedy to bolster their political agenda?

5. Vash01

I guess you think the grieving parents want gun reform for THEIR political agenda?

IMO there is no place for guns in a civilized society, except for law enforcement and the military. Nothing to do with politics. I am not a politician.

6. heckles

heckles Banned Member

Red herring. It's not only the grieving parents who are all over the news after these tragedies happen.

7. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Not to turn this into yet another dead horse :argue: about gun ownership/CC rights vs. gun control, but the hard truth is that if a trained, licensed gun owner had been in close proximity, she or he could have greatly reduced the number of injured victims.

Hate to break it to you, but what you envision is not so much a civilized society so much as it is a Utopian fantasy that is impossible to exist in this day and age.

8. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  9. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Yeah, being in Texas, I figured there were probably people hanging around with a gun already. And if the stabber had had a gun, he couldn't have been brought down with a tackle.

10. Vash01

Only in the USA.

Many other countries in the world would appear like a Utopian fantasy to you. They do just fine without assuming that the solution to every proble is everyone carrying a gun, and they have a lot less violence/murders/accidental deaths/mass killings. That's no fantasy.

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Leo Johnson, the security guard who was shot at FRC, brought down the gunman with a tackle.

12. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Which one is FRC?

13. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

At the Gabby Giffords shooting, there were plenty of people carrying guns (it being Arizona and all), but none of them could get a clear shot off (at least the two who talked to the media). In the end, the shooter there was tackled as well.

14. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

such a tragedy :(

I know that people who are pro-gun owner ship probably will not see it this may, but to me it invalidates the whole 'if people didn't have guns there would be other ways to kill people', as it is much harder to kill people with a blank weapon. I say at least the guy didn't have a gun!

15. heckles

heckles Banned Member

The Giffords case is not the best example to use for the point you're trying to make here. Joe Zamudio, who tackled Gifford's shooter, was carrying a handgun and says that is the reason he felt confident enough to intervene. Add to that the fact that Gifford's husband tried and failed to buy a rifle last month, which didn't give a lot of credibility for the couple's anti-gun efforts.

16. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I was happy to learn that the two injured people who were in critical condition have been upgraded to "good" -- three others who were injured are also still hospitalized.

17. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

He was trying to buy one to show how easy it was to buy one. The dealer declined selling it to him when he found out the purchase was for political reasons.

18. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for explaining the situation in that case. I didn't understand heckles post because both Gabby Giffords and her husband are gun owners and have been clear about that from the beginning. I don't know what "anti-gun" efforts heckles had in mind -- being in favor of stricter "gun control" laws is not the same thing as being "anti-gun."

19. heckles

heckles Banned Member

Oh yes, the video in which hubby's plinking in the backyard, which is a Class One Misdemeanor in Tuscon and most other incorporated municipalities. Such responsible gun ownership. :lol:

That one's on par with Pee Wee Herman falling off his bike and saying, "I meant to do that."

20. Skittl1321

I think in the case of the most recent gun purchase- it was an "assault rifle", which is not the type they own, and is the type they wish to push more regulation on.

It might sound as stupid as Pee Wee Herman, but that is the reason he did it. And it was incredibly easy for him to get the permit to buy it, and the background check took only seconds. The sale only fell through because there is a holding period, and the gun shop owner changed his mind during that period based on statements that Mark made to the media about the sale.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...rk-kelly-rifle-purchase-questions-his-intent/

21. heckles

heckles Banned Member

Assuming that's the actual reason (yeaaaaaah-right), his attempt to prove his theory was incredibly lame. If he'd sent in someone notoriously unbalanced like Lindsay Lohan to buy a rifle and she had succeeded, that would have been a real story.

Everyone should remember that as a defense. "No, Your Honor, I was only buying that weed because I wanted to prove how easy it is." :rolleyes:

22. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Wasn't there one bystander with a handgun who was about to shoot the guy who tackled the real shooter? The rescuer had wrestled the gun away from him, and the bystander thought that he'd been the original shooter. Because he was holding a gun.

Which begs the question - if there's multiple people with guns and they are not uniformed like cops or Secret Service, how do you know who's the bad guy? I think that's the greatest danger when you arm multiple people. Even if they're uniformed, there could be confusion.

23. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

So what I'm getting from this is that having a gun isn't necessarily going to help. What helps is having confidence in your ability to take down the attacker. And for that, my thought is that martial arts training would be more useful than gun ownership.

allezfred and (deleted member) like this.
  24. heckles

heckles Banned Member

Yes, because an 86-year-old arthritic woman living alone on Social Security should just hire a private dojo for five years so she can get a black belt.

25. Skittl1321

But you think she's going to be a good shot? The arthiritis is probably going to impede that too. An attacker or house intruder could likely get the gun from her if she isn't well trained in retention.

Even people who are very good shots generally aren't when they wake up groggy. The number of stories of people killing housemates because they were confused at night terrifies me.

26. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

The best defense for an 86-y-o woman is going to be good neighbors who watch out for her.

Before he was moved into a home, Alf's 91-year-old grandpa (who lived alone) lived across the street from a former cop. You bet nobody ever messed with him! :lol:

27. heckles

heckles Banned Member

That depends on where the arthritis is and the severity of it. Regardless, a disabled or semi-disabled senior is a lot more likely to be able to defend herself with a firearm than to receive a black belt. Considering that Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal both have guns, it would seem that even those who do master the martial arts realize that a roundhouse kick has its limitations.

And if she doesn't have "good neighbors," or if those neighbors can't be watching her house 24/7 because they have to mundane things like work and sleep, then what?