Sports Doctor to the Stars faces Drug Charges

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by missflick, Oct 30, 2009.

1. missflick

missflick New Member

2. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

*waiting for the spin doctors and konspiracy :sekret: theorists to emerge*
  3. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Hmmm...
  4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

No indication at all that the doctor was using banned (by the IOC) drugs on anyone. The plasma concentration and injection into damaged muscles and tendons is a new technique that is showing some significant results in terms of faster and more complete healing in some hard-to-heal areas. This isn't anything like blood doping.

The good doc may or may not have violated Canadian laws in terms of obtaining and using homeopathic medications not sold in Canada, but at the moment it strikes me as being about as significant as when the LA County Department of Public Health raided all of the chinese restaurants who were preparing Peking Duck the traditional way.
  5. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

What were they doing?
  6. barney

barney New Member

Yup. I've had it (in the US, from a well-respective physician). It's not illegal or even frowned upon, really; it's just a new form of treatment.
  7. screech

screech Well-Known Member

And they went through the proper channels to get the treatment approved before it was done to Patrick, so all is good there.
  8. snapple

snapple New Member

The whole department probably just got a craving for it all at once. :slinkaway :D
  9. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I want some of that for my left calf muscle tear!
  10. angietang

angietang New Member

They were doing nothing but roast Peking ducks in a traditional Chinese stove, which is considered by the West to be below the so-called "Health Standards". Actually, they know nothing about the Chinese cuisine and Chinese culture. Without the traditional Chinese stove, the Peking ducks would taste completely different:(.

I do agree that the whole Department would be very likely slavering at the first sight of the dripping ducks in the Chinese restaurants:lol:.
  11. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

12. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I worked at a Chinese place in a mall long ago and it was constantly written up by the health department for keeping the temperature on the warming pan that contained the fried rice too low. If we turned it up as high as they wanted it, the rice would get all nasty and crunchy. The inspector did not care and would rant that the rules are never flexible. So I always take it with a grain of salt when I see that an Asian restaurant has been written up for not keeping food at proper temps. It's probably because they don't want to serve crunchy rice!
  13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmmmm, was he responsible for Kwan not getting gold? :sekret:

I think he WAS....
  14. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Would you rather have hot, crunchy rice that's relatively germ free or something that's luke warm and taste great but is teaming with bacteria? I'll take my bowl of crunchy rice, please :p.
  15. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

You build up an immunity to it. :)

But yeah, you gotta work up to it first!
  16. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Had to chuckle. I just went to the Yahoo News site, and they had this pic labelled "Tiger Woods"
  17. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

:lol: They've fixed it already - but I saved the screen shot!
  18. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Yes, I've also had it suggested for my recalcitrant achilles tendon.
  19. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

The problem with Peking duck is that the duck is hung in the air for a while -- I don't recall if it is before or after cooking -- but this is a major no-no for the health department. I'm with the group that thinks that if the Chinese have been making it that way for a thousand years then it clearly isn't doing much to depopulate China and thus we shouldn't worry about it. (Then again, I've never understood why they are so maniacal about some things being refrigerated, but it is perfectly okay to make a pumpkin pie with loads of eggs, cream and sugar and let it sit around at room temperature for days.)
  20. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is a Chinese thing, but so far I've lived with two people from mainland China who are absolutely positively convinced that if you put warm food in the fridge, it will break the fridge. So they let things sit out for hours and hours until it cools down to room temp before putting it into the fridge. :lol:

I think that's a no-no in terms of bacterial growth....
  21. mkats

mkats New Member

LOL Anita my mom says that too.

She also swears that eating persimmons and sweet potatoes on the same day will kill you. Since I've seen a gazillion recipes for them together I'm pretty sure this isn't true and offered to test it, but she wouldn't let me...
  22. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Crunchy rice is nasty. Give me the bacteria.

Every year, the local newspaper lists all the restaurants that have been shut down for some infraction. 95 percent of those restaurants are Asian. I am suspicious of asian restaurants that have never received a citation.
  23. jlai

jlai Title-less

hahaha, I heard that one too.

ETA: Speaking of fridges, when I was a kid my homeEc teacher told me many things are fine unrefrigerated. But by the time I became an adult everyone around me told me they needed to refrigerate everything (including their jewellery) :D or they will go bad... (I always suspect it's the fridge marketers who trick us into buying bigger fridges.)
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  24. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Amen! The people who work at my local Asian restaurants all eat the food on their breaks. They look fine. I've practically lived on Asian take-out for years -- no problems. There are times to be super careful about food preparation, and there's times to chillax.

LOL! Like either the food is awful or they're bribing the inspectors? :cold:
  25. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Me too. Bacteria is everywhere already, especially in food.
  26. Bogie

Bogie Active Member

Now this is what I call "thread drift"!! :cheer2:
  27. sk8gr8h8

sk8gr8h8 Lurrrrve Laura Lepistö

Peking duck from a doctor's drug charges.. I'll never know :lol:

but it's just so interesting to know all about it!
  28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There's an article about Galea in today's Washington Post that states

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...03050_2.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2010060504128
  29. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

My mom has always told me the same thing and we are not Chinese. I don't think it's a regional thing so much as a lack of common sense thing. :p
  30. jlai

jlai Title-less

I don't think this is completely fiction. I suspect there was rhyme and reason to this when people first had fridges and as time went on things changed.

http://www.eufic.org/article/en/artid/food-storage-refrigerator/
  31. mkats

mkats New Member

When this thread popped up again on my User CP I couldn't figure out why on earth I was subscribed to it, since I didn't remember this topic at all. Then I read through it :lol:
  32. ltnskater

ltnskater New Member

Hmm, interesting, I've heard the opposite on some cooking and bacteria/illness prevention sites saying if you put warm food in the fridge, it actually warms up the food around it in the fridge temporarily which may cause bacterial growth :S