Sponsorship question GE

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by dupagegal, Apr 28, 2011.

1. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

After watching the WORLDS Pairs event, I couldn't help notice. The Pairs Teams from China had GE logos on their China warm-ups. Why would an American Company (Global yes) but an American company, HQ in Fairfield Conn. Sponsor China? I could be wrong but I do not think GE is giving money to the USFSA team? This is even more strange as GE is giving money to a Communist team that are sponsired by the state, China....? Doesn't make much sense. Makes you wonder that GE doesn't pay any US taxes as well.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. Mathman

Mathman New Member

Yes, General Electric has been an official sponsor of Chinese figure skating since the Torino Olympics in 2006. At the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver there was a big whoop at GE center where Yao Bin received honorary citizenship in the City of Vancouver, or some such honor. GE was also heavily involved in putting on the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.

GE has a major footprint in China and has exclusive contracts to supply various kinds of electronics and support services there. They have well over 10,000 employees and a bunch of factories and offices in China.

Edited to add: I guess by not paying any U.S. taxes they can afford to sponsor Pang and Tong. :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  3. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

They are afraid of drawing attention to their massive marketshare in nearly all their industries, but the sun never sets on GE.

4. nikjil

nikjil Active Member

I find it very offensive that an American company is spending money to sponsor a team that is completely funded by a Communist sports machine, while U.S. skaters are working multiple jobs and their parents are mortgaging their homes so that their kids can skate. I'm planning on sending a very annoyed e-mail to the Chairman of GE.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

ITA.

6. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Count me in; they'll be hearing from me too. At minimum I would expect that since the American tax payer is contributing to GE's bottom line then American skaters would get equal contributions if not a great deal more. I will be writing.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

:duh:

That GE.

I thought you meant THIS GE.

8. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

^^ hehe. That made me laugh. :lol:

9. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

I was wondering that as well. i thought he was looking for sponsor or something like that.

As for GE sponsoring Chinese team, do you find it offensive when American companies do commerce in other countries and make profit out of it. GE is just spending a tiny fraction of the profit they make in sponsoring Chinese team. As for US figure skaters, USFSA is welcome to find sponsors for it team as well, American or otherwise.

10. Mathman

Mathman New Member

It is a matter of bang for the advertising buck. General Electric has sponsored ads featuring Sarah Hughes (for breast cancer awareness), they built a big outdoor public ice skating rink for the city of Vancouver just before the Olympics, and I believe they contribute to the Skating in Harlem shows (not sure about that). They do this to get their name out their in a good way. :)

In China, GE was able to pick up the Chinese figure skating deal for practically nothing, there being few competitors for the honor. In exchange they generate a few warm-and-fuzzy feelings when people around the world see their logo at skating events.

I don't know whether the USFSA would be open to such a deal -- to display the GE logo on U.S. skater's warm-up suits, etc., in exchange for a nice cash gift. The USFSA would not want to become like NASCAR, where the racing cars are covered with advertisements as they whiz past.

I heard that one car was driven by a snail, and he painted a big red letter S on the side of his car. That way, all the people would shout as he went by, "Look at that S-car go!" :p

11. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

AMEN!

12. luCN

luCN New Member

:rofl: You'd better send E-mail to The American Federal Government,ask them not to borrow money from China anymore first LOL

Last edited: May 1, 2011
    Stephanie and (deleted member) like this.