SPOILER THREAD---Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I can't take it: I need to know what happens to all of these wonderful characters (at least so far.) For now I want to know if the awful Bolton clan receives any comeuppance---and is Theon rescued? And what is your theory on Jon Snow's lineage? So many characters--so many questions...

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The long and short of it is this; it's George Martin. Everybody gets a lot of everything. Including the Boltons. At the end of ADWD little is answered including Jon's lineage, but even more possible secret Targaryens are coming out of the woodwork. And Theon eventually get away.

3. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I can't ever like Theon. I hope he gets caught when escaping with the fake 'Arya' and winds up flayed again. And then I want direwolves to tear him apart.

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

How about this for a spoiler Cachoo; Tyrion may not be a Lannister.

5. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

So who killed Joffrey? It was...

Granny Tyrell and littlefinger was in on it

6. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

^Sansa was a player as well, if I remember correctly. I'm rereading the books because it's been two years since I read them and there's too much I don't remember, but I definitely think she was in on it.

Going along with what Buzz said: never assume anyone is safe EXCEPT for Arya. George's wife made him promise not to kill Arya, so she's the only one who is guaranteed to make it. Or so I've heard.

Also, Buzz, you need to refresh my memory! Tyrion not really a Lannister? I do not remember that! Was that in Book 4? I hated that book so I didn't absorb enough of it most likely, but don't recall that hint.

ETA: The books are littered with hints about Jon's heritage, but George likes to keep his readers playing that endless guessing game :lol:

7. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I don't think Sansa was in on killing Joffrey. But, yeah, who can remember everything in the books (unless read many times)???

8. lmarie086

Really? I always thought for sure she was in on it at least somewhat.

But I started re-reading Book 1 today and holy moly. I've taken to underlining things now so I can just look back, and I might even take notes. :lol: Maybe I miss being a student more than I thought...

9. emason

emason Well-Known Member

IIRC, Sansa is not in on it, but she is given a fancy jeweled hairnet to wear to the wedding. Afterwards she notices that one of the jewels is missing, the implication being that that's where the poison was hidden.

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

1) Sansa was the patsy rather than a co-conspirator. She is also Littlefinger's prize. If our boy couldn't have the mom, he is gonna have the daughter AND her entire inheritance.
    2) it was mentioned in ADWD (I think) that once upon a time old man Lannister as a young man was not all bad, and married to the love of his life. However, the mad king had designs on Tywin's wife. When we first meet Tywin in ASOIAF he is a monster who we, and Tyrion assume, hates his youngest because of the way he looks and because his mother died during childbirth. But maybe that is not the only reason.
    3) after all the guessing regarding Jon's baby daddy, I wouldn't put it past Mr. Martin to make a secret Targaryen of someone else entirely.
    4) And don't forget the Mad King's infant son may not be dead after all.

11. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Here are some screen caps of Olenna and Sansa. You can see Olenna handling Sansa's necklace and see that one of the jewels is missing afterward.

12. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

The only characters I'm sure will make it to the end are Arya, Daenerys, John Snow, Jaime and Tyrion. And the evil queen I'm sure of that.
    All the others ? They'll die at one point or another :p

13. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

"All men must die". ;) :p

14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

“If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.” - Ramsey Snow :lol:

15. CarolineL

CarolineL Member

In the books Theon is not rescued, he escapes, and his sister has not been looking for him so when he turns up she is rather surprised (and does not recognize him as he has aged considerably)
    I always assumed Jon Snow was actually the son of Ned's sister and Rhaegar (father of the kids that the Mountain killed) Targ who she ran off with. Eventually Ned's brother will show up to confirm this as he is probably the only other person who knew. This makes Jon ideal marriage material for Dany as he would be her uncle. If Tyrion is also a Targ, then that would probably mean that Jon and Tyrion are the other 2 dragon riders

16. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I don't know if Cersei is actually safe. Martin based the books on Maurice Druon's Accursed Kings series and one book is called The Strangled Queen. I wonder if Jaime and his golden hand will do the deed?

I never thought Sansa was in on the plot to kill Joff. They just needed the hairnet in the books to do the deed. I hope book Sansa wakes up and escapes both Littlefinger and Sweet Robin the clingy. :scream:

I wonder how Martin is going to write Bran's character in the future books. The kid can not keep hanging out in trees the rest of his life? That's too sappy (groan). :shuffle:

Since Jon Snow was stabbed, does that mean he's out of the Night's Watch as LC?

And I really want book 6 to get back to Lady Stoneheart and Brienne. I figure Pod's a goner, but what was the word that Brienne screamed as she was being hung?

17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

None of the released excerpts from the next book even hints at wether or not Jon and Jamie survived. I just don't see how Jon could be stabbed that many times and had his throat cut and still be alive. But then again his bit*# of a step mother returned from the dead. And did his minions really kill the Walder boys as Theon suspected. And we know Jamie to be riding into a certain trap at the hands of Brienne so....

18. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

But Jon warged into Ghost, so he's still there, just a bit hairier. :lol:

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

He did?! That part I missed. I actually liked the way things were going at the wall. It was some of the more interesting parts of the last book, and then Martin seemed to kill off everybody at the end. I was too P.O. at the end to pay much attention. Got to go back check it out.

20. lmarie086

Wait, what?! Okay, well glad I'm re-reading the books now. I've been underlining things and now I'm tempted to take notes...with these books it's probably not a bad idea.

21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

You guys have gone and roped me back into the world of George R.R. Martin again. I gave it up after the last book and have not even watched the last couple of seasons of the tv show. LOL

22. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

23. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Buzz, I knew it was Arya from the opening of that chapter. But the show had her saying those lines in the opening episode. The changing of stories between the books and the show is getting tough to keep up with. I keep wondering when they're going to pass Martin by!

24. lmarie086

Well, I think we're still only half way through book 3, so I don't even know if this season will touch on books 4 and 5. And there is so much detail in both books, especially with the overlapping timeline, that that's easily two seasons right there.

I have thus decided that George R.R. Martin has a deadline of two years from now. :p

25. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Told ya'll I don't watch the tv show. :blocjudge I have a feeling sooner or later Arya will be sent to kill one of her siblings. Maybe Sansa?

26. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Bumping this back to the top page.

Last night, I HATED the revision to the Sept scene with Jaime and Cersei. In the book, it was consentual (with horrid writing by Martin), but the show made it forced. Either it was poor writing, or a change in the direction of Cersei and Jaime's relationship.

27. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I guess consensual, incestuous sex in front of their murdered son's corpse is finally the bridge too far for HBO? :lol:

28. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Is it just me or did Oberyn seem a little excited when he heard daenerys had dragons. I'm hoping it's an allusion to the secret Martell deal

29. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I've not read the books and I have a question that may not have been answered yet. Everytime I see the Other(whitewalker) on his horse with his long hair I think of Ned Stark's brother. Any revelations about Jon Snow's uncle?

30. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Bumping back to the front page. Really surprised that Yara (um ASHA!!) went to rescue Theon. So different than what the book did.

Some dragon issue foreshadowing going on - loved that scene and Dany's look when she heard there were 200 more people in line. :lol:

I just want to throttle Pycelle. Bumbling suck up talking about how sweet and wonderful brave Joff was. :p So, Shae didn't do the 'virtuous woman raped by a monstrous imp' story line - wonder what else will be changed?

Taking other thoughts to the regular thread...