Spiral Sequences

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Bonita, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I just read that the pairs no longer have to do spiral sequences this year. But I also think I read that the ladies no longer have to either. What's up with this? I know the ISU made a lot of changes, but those threads were so long I couldn't read that much (low computer attention span). I love spiral sequences (or, at least, I did, until everyone did the same one).

2. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I thought it was that, the spiral sequences would all be at a set base level and be scored only on GOE. But that they still would be present, although pairs will only do step sequence in the SP.

3. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

The spiral sequence is no longer a required element in the ladies SP, and it has a base value and will be judged soley on GOE in the FS.

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Spiral Sequences will only be judged in the FS as a Choregraphic Spiral sequence. So they will get a base value of 2.0 for the element and the judges will apply a GOE. They are no longer going to have a level called on them.

All I can say is thank god because they because the most boring part of a program to judge.

So we will probably get back to seeing some beautiful spiral sequences that are appropriate for the program rather than an element that has to be done.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I'm really sad. As a very longtime skating fan, they were often my favorite part of the SP. Step sequences bore me for the most part - and it's not that I don't appreciate them (I ice dance) - it's just that those are becoming cookie cutter too, even in ice dance (twizzle, grab blade with hand, repeat for ice dance, frenetic turns both directions for freestyle). I like COP a lot for jumps, that's about it. I think skating is going the way of gymnastics (my other favorite sport (to watch/can't even do a cartwheel), less popular because of the jidging (deliberate typo, LOL, favorite third hobby, watching SYTYCD). Thanks all for clarifying.

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

I am really happy about that. Though I think the pair spirals were more horrific to watch than the ladies' spirals. The problem with the pairs was that even on the highest level those spirals looked painful, very few could make them look decent. On the other hand - lots of pair step sequences aren't really better.

7. miki88

miki88 New Member

I agree with you. I miss the excitment that comes with seeing perfect 6.0s and 10s. The CoP does some things better in terms of rewarding technical elements but I'm still not convinced it is that much better or objective than the older systems.

8. PEKINGMOO

PEKINGMOO New Member

Under 6.0 there were some beautiful pair spiral sequences. G&G spiral in their SP in 1994 stands out. M&D and B&S also had some lovely spiral sequences in their SP's as well. The problem under CoP was 1.) both skaters had to be in the exact same position, held for 3 seconds crap 2.) higher level do to catch foot and change of edge. YAWN.

When only one partner has to be in a spiral position, there are more variations for the sequence. Why CoP just didn't follow 6.0 rules, I don't understand.

9. Crazy4G&G

Crazy4G&G New Member

Totally agree with you pekingmoo, I wish only one partner has to be in the spiral position. Like you said, G&G's spiral in their 1994 SP is a perfect example of this, as is their spiral in their 1989 LP. But of course even when they were in the same position (like their Moonlight Sonata spiral) is an example of an elegant, simple spiral that takes skill to do. I also used to love B&S's signature spiral, it is one of the most beautiful pair moves I've ever seen.

10. sailornyanko

sailornyanko New Member

Thank god the obligatory change of edge spiral is gone. I like doing them myself, but it was the most boring part of the routines. This will finally help to add some variety into the programs.

I disagree about complex steps being boring. 90's figure skating suffered too much from transitions that only consisted in crossovers and the typical jump-a-thon. Nobody can deny Buttle did fantastic step sequences but that's another topic.

11. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Well I hope that we will go back to seeing some beautiful spiral sequences. Such as a Nicole Bobek spiral. I loved her spirals. I would give her +3 even now.

I agree about G&G's spiral in their Moonlight Sonata LP. It was stunning.

The problem in pairs it is not so much the lady, but for most men the spirals just look fugly on them.

12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Especially when the men attempt to do the catch foot spiral. Blech. Thank goodness we won't have to see that anymore.

13. PEKINGMOO

PEKINGMOO New Member

The catch foot Y position spiral...OMG. How many ballsacs were sacrificed just to gain a level? :slinkaway

14. KayMil01

KayMil01 New Member

So, spiral positions don't even need to be held 3 seconds? or did that rule not change?
    I just don't wanna see very short spiral positions, when they're not held enough; like in the 80's early 90's.

15. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Yes, they do. Ladies need to complete 2 spirals for 3 seconds each, or one spiral for 6 seconds.

16. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I'm thrilled about this rule change. Spirals will be beautiful again (for the most part) instead of looking all the same and having too many fugly positions.

17. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Member

What is the replacement move in the SP for the Ladies. Is there more footwork, spins?

18. acraven

acraven Well-Known Member

No new required element. I think they're hoping for more transitions.

19. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I am hoping for Inna Baurs, Spead Eagles, Shoot the Duck, and other transitions elements integrated into Spiral Sequences.

20. Valentina

Valentina New Member

Great, is was the most boring part of the program and sometiems it was just painful to see, Just a few ladies can do this righth and for me is still boring.

21. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

I don't agree with this at all. yes it's true with some programs but the best of the 90's had some amazing transition-filled programs as well, that was not a benefit created by COP. the best of 90's programs flowed way more seamlessly

22. casken

casken Well-Known Member

The funny thing is, with all the complaining about CoP spirals, the extensive flexibility and edge requirements under CoP will probably make the spirals we're going to see now be of better quality than the typical barely held and barely above the hip spirals of 6.0. (Bobek, Kwan, etc, where the exception.)

23. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Yes I think spirals are more interesting to watch now than it was under the 6.0 system. Before we could barely see a decent position achieved, the skater reached a more or less correct position and right away changed of position or lowered the leg. Now skaters have to hold positions and lift the leg, which is actually a very basic requirement for a correct spiral position !

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2010