Spilled water on my laptop, what to do?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BigB08822, Mar 15, 2011.

1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Can anyone help or has anyone had experience with this? Today in class someone knocked my cup of water over as they walked by my desk and some water spilled on my laptop! THANK GOD I had a lid on my cup but some of the water spilled forth through the hole that you drink out of. I immediately turned my keyboard over and began trying to soak up what I could. I didn't have any problems right away but now my Y key will randomly press and Y's suddenly appear on anything I have my cursor on. I can make it stop by pressing the Y button and it will not do it as long as I am typing. It only happens if I sit still for a moment with my cursor on a spot where it can type. It is aggravating but not the end of the world. I have a Macbook but do not have insurance on it, although it wouldn't matter if I did because water damage is not covered. I read that I can turn it upside down and air it out overnight and hope that works. Is there any other recommendations that anyone can make?

2. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Other than letting it dry out? A laptop is rather big to put into a jar of rice...

Hopefully, letting it dry completely will solve your problems. Thankfully, it was just water and not pop or juice, or something else sticky.

3. Patsy

Patsy Active Member

I realize this is obvious, but take a kleenex, fold several thicknesses into a wedge shape, and dig around with the point around the keys that got wet. Perhaps your kleenex will come out wet/damp. If so, make another point and keep going.

I know, simple--but it's worked for me.

4. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Remove as much as you can, turn it upside down and use a fan, or even a hairdryer on low/cool, to circulate air and evaporate the water.

5. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

There are airblower cans for cleaning keyboards - maybe that will help.

6. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I usually suggest compressed air for cleaning, but the propellant sends out super-cold air that can cause frostbite.
    It might turn the spilled water into ice and damage the keyboard.

7. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Take the battery out, then use the blow dryer on low. I've heard putting it in rice is actually a good thing, even for a laptop, but cannot confirm if it works.

8. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Turn it over right away. Turn off and pull battery. Use a blow dryer on low. As long as you can keep the motherboard from frying your fine. I have a sister who taught me how to take apart my keyboard to clean. Unless you feel comfortable on taking your computer apart dont do it. Good luck

9. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Ditto the above. I've been told that the number one cause of electronic failure due to water is the motherboard shorting out; not wetness everywhere else. Although it sounds like you already have it on and running, so the likely-hood of your motherboard frying now is slim. But still, I would take the battery out anyway if you can get at it, and then let it air-dry until you are 100% positive that ALL the water is gone. Then you can turn it back on, and it *should* be fine.

10. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Water's pretty easy. As others suggest, the key is to leave it opened upside down on an absorbent surface. If there's any doubt you can put the opened laptop keyboard side down in a plastic bag with some rice or kitty litter. Use a paper bag to separate the laptop from the drying agent.

We used to have a rule in my shop about liquids and computers... water, black coffee and diet soda were ok and we'd try to get the computer working again. We would't waste our time on coffee with cream and sugar or regular Coke. Both are killers. Of course, people would lie and say it was diet Coke, but the sticky keys always gave them away.

11. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Actually, the first thing to do is apparently to turn the laptop off, but obviously that piece of advice comes to late.

The same thing happened to me with a full mug of tea... things got worse and worse (keys not working, things typing backwards, the wrong folders opening when I used the mouse, me having to plug in a different keyboard, the screen being divided by a rainbow zigzag, and finally the computer not turning on at all).... but then it started up again and worked better than ever before, including the keyboard. It had another couple of years of life in it.
    It's my little computer miracle story :p

12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I left my computer open and off and went and ran some errands. Came home and restarted the computer and SO FAR it is working just fine. No random Y's appearing and it has been on for about 10 minutes. I really hope it is fine and I wont have any more problems. Thanks for the advice!

13. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Sounds like you may have escaped. An overnight upside down on a towel might not hurt, though.

14. fluorescein

fluorescein New Member

One of our MacBooks has had soda spilled on it several times. Not too much, but enough that individual keys stick for weeks afterward. Other than :lynch: the offending child, no special steps were taken. I suspect if you give your keyboard time to dry out completely, it will be fine.

15. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

My husband did restoration for electronics. Use a fan to dry it out and ensure you give it a few days to dry thoroughly or you will fry the motherboard when you turn it on. Most cities have a water spillage restoration that can help you. But hubby said even a small amount of water needs ample time to dry.

This works for all electronics but the key is to dry it as fast as possible and to not power on too soon oh and he said take the battery out? Good luck

16. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Hubby said do not use litter or rice as some suggested lol he said air circulation is the key