Spelling Bee - It's that time again

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by A.H.Black, May 29, 2012.

1. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

This year's contestants include a 6-year-old !!

The Preliminaries are tomorrow on ESPN3. Semi-finals are Thursday morning on ESPN2. Finals are Thursday evening on ESPN.

Main site is here.
    Roster is here.
    Photo Gallery is here.

2. A.H.Black

The preliminaries are on live now - here.

Changes so far - The dreaded bell is gone! Now they are just saying the speller was incorrect. It appears the spellers are not automatically out if they mis-spell a word in the preliminaries. There is some kind of point system this year. Also, when the speller asks if they are saying the word correctly, Dr. Bailey can only tell them the he (and the officials) can't hear anything wrong. They no longer tell the speller it sounds right.

The Canadian spellers have changed. The girl from last year, who looked angry or like she was going to cry all the time, is not there. I thought she had one more year. Anyone know what happened?

3. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

4. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

A six year old? That's what, 2nd grade/3rd grade? I suppose I support her wanting to flex her brains if she can, but the world is so full of stage-moms and dads, whether it is sports, entertainment, and well, academics. Let this child have a childhood, before she's forced into a childhood of year long prep every year for Scripps. And failure, since the odds of a child winning Scripps is like winning the lottery.

I was precocious, I made my state spelling bee when I was 12, and my parents didn't really know I entered or was working hard for it. They thought it was just part of the G/T curriculum and they weren't even there at state. And I was happy, because had they known I had a talent in this regard, they would have gone all stage-parent and demanded I do better. I just have a bad feeling about this. She has seven more years of eligibility and my heart goes out to her. What starts as a lark and a talent turns into a job and slavery practically. Eh, what do I know. Good luck to her. And the others that we have also seen since they were preteen. I know them by name.

5. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

Don't jump to conclusions about the 6-year old and her parents. This article is good and it seems like they are doing the best they can to ensure she does have as normal a life as is possible for someone so gifted.

6. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

the girl seems like she is a highly gifted child - so much she was turned away from gifted programs.
    I believe there is a lot of research surfacing about gifted children and how beneficial it is for them to be challenged - even if their level of challenges are beyond mire typical children.

7. A.H.Black

Had no idea that one of these / is called a virgule. All 3 spellers from my state got both of their 2nd and 3rd round words correct. I hope they are all go on to tomorrow.

Lori Ann seems to having a good time and is doing fine. Spelled dirigible correctly.

8. mkats

mkats New Member

KEEP OFF THE DIRIGIBLE PLUMS!

9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Sure, but I'd like to know how she has time to "spend with her friends" (according to her official bio) when she is competing in spelling bees, mythology and eytmology exams, science fairs, Lego competitions, "math kangaroo", and swimming, *and* taking karate, dance and tennis classes. No matter how gifted she is, that seems like *way* too much for a six-year-old.

10. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

PICK YOUR OWN MISTLETOE

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :lol:

11. mkats

mkats New Member

That's the only time I've heard the word dirigible. :shuffle:

And I don't have a clue what it means :slinkaway:

12. A.H.Black

A dirigible is one of those great big airship type balloons. The Hindenburg could have been called a dirigible.

13. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

You obviously haven't read "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" :lol:

14. hirshey girl

hirshey girl Well-Known Member

IIRC, she is homeschooled with a group of other gifted children which would give her time with friends. I guess the homeschooling could allow for more flexibility in scheduling as well. I also suspect she is not doing all those things at the same time. :)

15. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

And perhaps her friends also swim, dance, do karate, play tennis, take exams, are in the same homeschool group as her, etc. etc. The days of solitary homeschooling have gone away in many areas. I have close friends who homeschool and those kids are always doing something with groups of their friends - sometimes outside of school, sometimes as a part of it.

16. A.H.Black

If anyone has turned on ESPN2 and found tennis instead of the spelling bee - the bee is on ESPNnews (ESNWS). If you scheduled it on you DVR, you'll get tennis.

I think once tennis is done it will switch over.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

18. A.H.Black

Shoot. There goes Grace Remmer. She has such a distinctive face I always remember her and root for her. I'm glad she has one more year.

19. overedge

I didn't say that she was, but even if it's spread out throughout the year, I still say that is too many activities for any six-year-old.

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

21. A.H.Black

I will miss Vanya and Vismaya. Now I will root for Arvind, Nicholas, and Lena. With a little Emma and Frank thrown in on the side.

With only 9 finalists, this could be a short program this evening. I always hope for a tie.

22. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for Arvind; I remember him from last year and he seems like a real nice kid.

23. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I'm liking Gifton and Nicholas. I think Gifton's repetition of "sir" may also have a calming effect on him....like a mantra.

24. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

Jacques Bailey has been the pronouncer for this for awhile. I think he does a great job.

According to this and this, he won in 1980 and his full-time job is a professor classics at the University of Vermont.

25. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Holy crap, I think they were making up half of these words because I had a WTH?! moment after every single one of them, LOL :lol:

Congrats to all these kids for doing such awesome jobs and especially big congrats to the winner! :cheer:

26. A.H.Black

That's a distinctive trait of the Jamaican spellers. They always come with a "Thank you, Sir". On the other hand, the Jamaican spellers are pretty much responsible for the time clock. The wasn't one several years ago, but the Jamaican spellers used to take forever to spell. I remember one girl taking nearly 10 minutes before she would spell. The time clock was pretty inevitable after that.

I went to a birthday part tonight so I am now going to watch it.

27. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

If you don't have experience with gifted children, then it would seem to be too much. These kinds of kids need constant stimulation and challenges to function "normally". Their brains never stop thinking at a high level, questioning and analyzing every mundane little detail. They think in a completely different way than their peers. Many times they excel at activities that would take the average person months or years to master. If they are not involved in lots of activities, they simply cannot function. And before you ask, I do have first hand experience.

From the article, the child seems to know when enough is enough and it's time to be a six year old again. Her parents sound like they're trying to do their best to keep her a child while satisfying her unquenchable thirst for knowledge.

For the person who asked earlier, in a public school setting this child would be in Kindergarten or 1st grade depending on when her birthday falls and when the state's cut-off date is.

I don't envy her parents. They have a tough road ahead to try to keep her as "normal" as possible.

28. overedge

I do, and I stand by my point.

29. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I think some may be confusing gifted children with highly/profoundly gifted children.

Gifted children need more stimulation and academic acceleration, but are generally not that different than other kids their age. Highly gifted children are in a whole other league as you described.

Having experience with gifted children doesn't really speak to the needs of highly gifted children. And unfortunately, far too often society's response to such children is to hold them back rather than let them soar.

30. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

^^^ This. Blame "No Child Left Behind". Most schools focus on the struggling kids to help them pass so they don't lose funding. The gifted and highly gifted are not pushed because they perform just fine and are not in danger of failing. JMHO.