Spartacus star Andy Whitfield dies at 39

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Sep 12, 2011.

1. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/spartacus-actor-whitfield-39-dies-010234436.html

:(

2. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Yes rather sad isn't it. Loved him in Spartacus and there was a period where it looked like he may have fought it and be able to return and then he just relapsed :(

Very sad.

3. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Way too young :( RIP. Andy was in amazing shape and yet cancer's cruel and often random nature claimed his life.

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Gone way too soon. R.I.P.

5. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

WOW :( Didn't think he would survive the cancer, but that's so sad :(

6. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

so very sad. Hubby and I watched the 2 seasons of Spartacus. :(

7. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I read about this last night. Sorry for him and his family.

Spartacus and Game of Thrones are my favorite series right now. Andy's acting in the first season was fabulous.

8. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Very sad. All indications were that he was responding well to treatment but it just goes to show you that cancer is persistent, unpredictable, and unforgiving.

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Very sad.

The cancer was diagnosed during a routine check-up. How many people get regular check-up? The only doctor I see every year without fail is my dentist; otherwise, I only go to a doctor when absolutely necessary, which is once in a blue moon.

10. genegri

genegri Active Member

I didn't know much about the actor. But non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is unfortunately something I know a bit about. What a cruel disease!

11. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Cancer is such a cruel disease! Very sad that he died so young from this. :( This disease claims way too many people in the prime of their lives. I only hope that we're eventually able to find a cure.

12. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Unfortunately, "cancer" is a generalized term, and there are dozens of kinds, and the world being what it is the ones most likely to kill you fast are hard to spot until they're fairly advanced, so even a routine checkup can miss them. Non-Hodgkins is one of those, and if you catch it late you are in big trouble. (My cousin is alive today, 15-odd years on, after a stage III diagnosis only because his sister was a marrow-donor match. He even beat the odds on radiation--they said he'd be infertile. I now have a first cousin once removed from him.) My friend's father, who had a rare type of lung cancer, was fine at her wedding and dead by Christmas. Some of the nasty ones are just very, very hard to see until it's too late.

13. shan

shan Well-Known Member

14. walei

walei Well-Known Member

:( so sad to hear this. He will always be Sparty.

15. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

So true. I forgot exactly where I heard it, but I have heard cancer described as thousands of diseases and at the same time one. There are so many cellular mechanisms and types of cells that can lead to uncontrolled cellular growth, and so many environmental and genetic factors that can contribute to it.

As a cancer researcher, I know it's not very scientific to say a disease is unfair, but sometimes a person can do all the right things towards living a healthy lifestyle and yet be struck down by cancer in the blink of an eye.

16. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

I've started watching Spartacus recently and even though the Spartacus character sometimes annoys me I thought David was a lovely person and am really sad to read he passed... :(