Soviet Documentary about Ice Dancing

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

2. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I wish there were English subtitles.

3. care bear

care bear Active Member

I do not know, but maybe it´s the Champions Tour after the Worlds 1982, which were held in Copenhagen. I could see S.Hamilton too.
    Thank you for the link.

The Soviet Champ was held 1982 in Riga.
    http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Чемпионат_СССР_по_фигурному_катанию#.D0.A2.D0.B0.D0.BD.D1.86.D1.8B

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  4. Yvy

Yvy New Member

Thanks for posting it, Sylvia.
    I've watched just the first part. I don't think I need to mention the names. The talk is mostly around the rivalry between the Soviet and the British schools. The comparison in the film boils down to the following: the British school is very technical and fluid, while the Soviet school demonstrates beautiful and expressive choreography and artistry. That's what Pakhomova talks about at the end of the first part. It says in the film that while the Soviet teams lost the top spot of the podium to Torvill and Dean, there's a stable of new stars coming up - showing Volozhinskaya Svinin, Klimova Ponomarenko, Patanova Soloviev, Bestemianova and Bukin, and a few others.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you so much!
    That is really nostalgic and interesting. I remember I saw some of the programs when I was in my early childhood when I just started following figure skating competitions closely.

6. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Oooh, thanks so much for the links! Wonderful memories....

7. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Thank you!!!

8. fanof

fanof New Member

:respec:
    An now, I/K, M/K, B/S :D.

9. Capella

Capella Guest

Just watched the first part and I would loooooove subtitles! I could pick out words here and there, but I know I'd get more out of it if I knew more.

Thoughts on part 1: Christopher Dean in the '80s man-blush :inavoid: and some very rosy lips was :lol:.:TT1: does not seem to have aged at all! In fact, I think she looks almost younger now! :respec: Sergei Ponomarenko looked kind of :grope: back in the day. The Yankee Polka CD at the end of part one didn't use the music that's one of the selections they have now. Otherwise, I love looking at old skool ice dance feet being all small, tight, precise moves. It's so different from the style the top teams do for free dances today.

Sylvia is a :rockstar: for finding this!

10. LadyGray

LadyGray New Member

Thank you!