'South Pacific' on PBS Tonight

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. soxxy

soxxy Guest

2. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Thanks for the heads up :)

3. The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot Demon Barber

4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

It seems strange that for just one night of filming the PBS show, the GLEE producers couldn't let him off for 1-2 days for it. It's not like he's on the show every single minutes. They could've change the glee filming shedule to accomodate him if they wanted to.

5. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

Thanks so much for this heads up - I saw the show recently and I wasn't feeling well - looking forward to seeing it again, pain free!

6. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I was fortunate enough to see Matthew in South Pacific on Broadway, am looking forward to tonight's broadcast as well.

7. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

So far so good :) Really enjoying it.

8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oops, forgot to DVR it! Thank goodness my station is running it again at 3 a.m.!

ETA: Got it on now. This DOES look like a great production. I don't think the movie has held up that well, unfortunately, but this version looks really good.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  9. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Excellent. But I can just imagine Matthew Morrison playing Lt. Cable.

10. Wyliefan

Holy cow, that's Alan Alda! I didn't recognize him till he spoke!

11. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

Stumbled onto it 10 minutes in. Gotta catch it again in a repeat. First show I was ever involved in mucho years ago.

I was having difficulty finding the current cast list ... didn't realize Kelli O'Hara had only just returned.

Only thing I don't care fpr in this production is guy playing Cable. Seems very mannered. And does he have a cold - you can hear him breathing heavily.
    Also, have some comments re: character of deBecque that I'd never thought about before.

But there's the entre'acte ... later. :)

12. Wyliefan

I'd forgotten how great some of these songs are. Also how squicky the whole mommy-pimping-out-the-daughter thing is . . . even with one of the most beautiful songs ever written tagged onto it. A bit surreal, really . . . .

13. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

TalentedButHumble...I agree about Cable....not how the character should be played IMO, but it's not awful, just a little "off" to me.

14. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Thanks for the heads up - I read it too late to see the current broadcast but have set the PVR to record it overnight :)

15. Wyliefan

Yes, Cable could be better. But wow, Kelli O'Hara is amazing. I'm definitely getting the cast album now.

16. cem

cem New Member

You won't regret it. That cast album is amazing. Having Paulo Szot singing Some Enchanted Evening makes my workday fly by.

17. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

ITA! Now THAT'S an old-fashioned Broadway STAR.

Paulo Szot - great voice. His last note in Some Enchanted Evening was the most beautiful pure tone. :fragile:

As someone who's both a classic music theatre and TV fan - when Alda was talking about how much SP meant to him I suddenly flashed on a MASH episode where Hawkeye was singing Some Enchanted Evening. (Of course, musicals run in Alda's family - his dad was the lead in the original Guys & Dolls.)

18. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I was wondering who could have possibly beaten Kelli O'Hara for Tony for Best Actress in a musical for this performance, but it was Patti LuPone for Gypsy....so it's okay. ;)

19. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Got the cast album last week, Matthew Morrison sings the part of Cable on the album.

20. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I loved seeing it on tv, agree with the part of Cable but he did loosen up towards the end. Maybe he was nervous?

21. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yeah Cable seemed a bit better as it went on....and I agree that Kelli was amazing. Really well done.

22. Daisy18

Daisy18 Well-Known Member

That was an amazing show. I really enjoyed it.

23. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I'm away from home so I hope there will be a replay I can catch with my DVR!

24. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

rebroadcast today and tomorrow - check local PBS listings.

(what a great program..wish i'd gone to see it while in NYC)

25. Kukucachoo

Kukucachoo New Member

I was never crazy about the original but LOVED this production: Had to be the acting as O'Hara and Szot had fantastic chemistry and the music as always was beautiful.

26. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I just watched a little of the production on my DVR, mainly because I was curious about the comments about Cable. I saw the touring production just a few months ago, and the actor who played Cable -- Anderson Davis -- was amazing.

I do have to say that I think the "mannered" performance was dictated by the direction. I recall thinking that Cable was pretty stiff when he first appeared in the stage production. The director wanted Cable to start as very rigid and then loosen up over the course of the show.