Soul Train's Don Cornelius has Died

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skipaway, Feb 1, 2012.

1. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Apparent suicide in his LA home. So very sad. Even though I grew up on Bandstand, I watch Soul Train every once in a while. RIP

Don Cornelius Died

2. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

That is so sad. I had always enjoyed Soul Train more than American Bandstand. I've would have liked to see the project he was working on.

Peace, Love, and Soul.

RIP Don Cornelius

3. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Peace, Love, and Soul.

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

It's hard to quantify his massive influence. Very sad. :( Just proves that everyone has their own demons.

5. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

The Sooooooooooooul Train.

How sad that he killed himself. Way back in the days of vinyl long before MTV or even cable TV, Soul Train was one of the few TV shows featuring popular music, and I used to look forward to watching it every Saturday.

6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

"In parting, we wish you love, peace and soooooouuuuullllllll."

Right back at you...RIP

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

May he rest in peace. I loved Soul Train while growing up.

8. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

So sad :( RIP Don Cornelius

9. soxxy

soxxy Guest

10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:fragile: Poor Don.

11. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

12. Civic

Civic New Member

Yet another pop icon from my teen years gone.:( I just heard on Inside Edition that he had been in failing health for some time. I guess his health problems became too much for him. May he rest in peace.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  13. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this. He really did change the world, when you consider how significant pop culture is today.

14. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I heard this earlier today and I was saddened to hear it.

As a child of the 70s, Soul Train played a huge part of my childhood and shaped my musical tastes. How people danced on Soul Train; Is what I saw at family functions, bbq, weddings, at home with my mom. The music they played on Soul Train for the most part was what I heard on the radio, on the record player and 8 track at home.

I witnessed seeing the Jackson 5, Prince, Morris Day and Time, New Edition, The Jets. The first time I say David Bowie was singing Fame(from the legendary Album Young Americans) on Soul Train. I became a huge Bowie fan after that, I had to be like 6 or 7 years old. David Bowie is like one of if not the first non black artist to appear on Soul Train. Soul Train was of the first dance/music shows that showcased Disco acts. I saw Gloria Gaynor, Chic, Sylvester

Here are blasts from my childhood.

The Jets - Crush on You

David Bowie-Fame on Soul Train.

Soul Train Line

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  15. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

RIP. :(

16. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

For a while in the 70's Don was about the coolest man on the planet...OK, him and Miles Davis. ;) It's just sad that his post-Soul Train life didn't go very well. RIP

17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I remember those big-assed Afros and the girls with their Afro puffs :respec:. And the Soul Train line - all of those steps were wack!!!

And the commercials during the show would be nothing BUT hair care products - Afro Sheen, Ultra Sheen, Posner - all the hair care and cosmetic companies that catered to the African-American market had at least one commercial shown during Soul Train! No Saturday was complete without watching it; we'd get up, eat breakfast, clean our rooms, watch Soul Train, then go outside and play - and practice some of the dance moves we learned on the show :D.

18. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

:lol: So True!!!!!

19. Civic

Civic New Member

Which commercial had that song with the line: "Wantu wazuri, beautiful people" Anyone remember?

20. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Afro Sheen?

21. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Loved the Soul Train line!

22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

What influence he had, not just in the African--American community; but, in making White audiences aware and comfortable with those artists - and their music.

Thank you!
    RIP

23. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Reminded of Margaret Cho joke. As a kid, you would get up on Saturday morning to watch cartoons. You knew it was all over when Soul Train came on! LOL. I remember that, but also remember starting to watch Soul Train more and more then.

24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It was Afro Sheen.

25. Civic

Civic New Member

Soul Train was an important part of my teen years; a chance to finally see what the artists I listened to looked like. I especially enjoyed the brief interviews Don Cornelius did with them.

26. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

OMG this reminds me of that Eddie Murphey movie Coming to American where the main girl's boyfriend was from a family that made hair care products & they would leave a grease spot everywhere they went. So funny.

I loved Soul Train...they had the coolest music. And the intro - Sooouuulllllllll Train!