Sophie Ellis-Bextor is back!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Ziggy, May 4, 2010.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  2. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

I don't believe Americans have missed mutch not knowing about her...

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Because stylish, well-produced pop music is so common. Especially on the US market. :p :scream:

4. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the Toyota Swagger Wagon commercial? That was good!:lol:

ETA": I looked at it again and it said its contents were blocked from my country. Oh, well.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Why do record companies do this?

I can understand them not wanting to shell cash to promote artists who they think might not do well (although everyone can do well with good enough promotion so it's a self-fulfilling prophecy :rolleyes:) but why block content... :wall:

Edited two other links in the OP, hopefully at least one works. :D

6. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Whee! I loved "murder on the dancefloor"!

Didn't she have a really premmie baby? I don't think she's been on the scene since then.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She did but she only took a short break for pregnancy IIRC and has been keeping herself busy with performing, largely in the UK where she's based and which is her primary market.

8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I love her version of "Take Me Home".

9. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

I would not call this well-produced nor stylish. :rolleyes: More like plastic and same old, same old.

"Murder on the dancefloor" was something I really liked, but that song you posted just does not have the same soul.

10. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

I lived in England in 2001-02, the height of her "Murder on the Dancefloor" popularity. It was all about her and Kylie (I wasn't into either of them).

One night, I started getting really sexually explicit IMs from a person I've never spoken to.

Months later, my friend told me he was sitting at a computer with a drunk Sophie Ellis Bextor, and all that talk about cock size was coming from her. Ack! (and yes, he really knew her, and I believe him)

Later that year I was watching the awarding of the Turner Prize for art on TV, and SEB had to host with a completely belligerent Alex James from Blur. Memories!

11. Hindernisse

Hindernisse Well-Known Member

I was at her concert last October and must say she's obviously not the best live singer. But I like her music nonetheless.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This song is far from the usual plastic pop.

To begin with, the use of vocabulary in the lyrics is a little more sophisticated.

The music is nothing exceptional but it's good crafstmanship and it's a bit more complicated than just a simple driving beat with lyrics slapped on top, there are some not entirely predictable layers to it.

And doesn't follow the latest fads (most of popular pop music is r&b influenced - recently electro is becoming fashionable too).

Sophie is still doing her retro thing, this time synth pop is the main influence.

Her look is very sophisticated and that particular video is absolutely stunning. The shots are so well composed and create such pretty images.

So no. :p

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Boooooooooooooh the single has been out last week and it totally flopped.

Not only did it fail to make the top 10 but the top 20 too, charting at 25.

(( Sophie ))