Songs for Earth Hour..

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by bobalina77, Mar 26, 2010.

1. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Okay so as you all know Earth Hour is on Saturday and we're supposed to turn out all the lights at 8:30 PM for an hour. So I figure we'll light some candles, put on some good mood music (an ipod and some portable speakers of course.. no electricity) and take advantage of the darkness :lol:. I need a playlist though. So far I have a few of my favourites:

Wicked Game - Chris Isaak
    Something - from the Across the Universe Soundtrack
    If I Fell - from the Across the Universe Soundtrack

See.. a lot of our friends have announced pregnancies the past few months, so we're both kind of having a bit of baby envy the past little while. I figure this is a good way to snap us out of it and make us appreciate the fact that we don't have kids yet :lol:

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I have dinner reservations, I hope they aren't observing this ridiculous idea during our dinner. I know, shame on me, but we turn our lights off every night when we go to bed and when we leave the house. What the hell do I need to do it for an extra hour in the middle of the day for? Flame away...

3. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

So do we.. I think it's just supposed to make a statement of some sort. Whatever.. I don't imagine restaurants will shut everything down in the middle of their dinner hour so I don't think you have to worry :lol:

4. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

"Safe" (Canon Song) by Yes-bassist Chris Squire.

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

We are doing Earth Hour at work. The Sustainability Coordinator is going into work and turning the lights off. She is also going around and checking who has turned their computers off and if they have she will leave a chocolate frog on their desk.

However she wasn't at work today. So we switched her monitor back on (not her computer only her monitor). Naughty I know but it will be interesting to see if she notices.

6. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

I was at a restaurant the first year this happened - they dimmed the lights to the minimum you need to still be able to see and get around safely, but everything was business as usual otherwise.

7. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

The organization I work for participated in Earth Hour last year by shutting down their website (the buildings were also closed and lights were off).

It was supposed to read "EARTH HOUR" and include a clock.

Something obviously happened because the website failed to shut down until the last 5 minutes of the Hour:eek: So the running joke is we had our Earth Minute :lol:

I'm hoping they have fixed it for this year...

8. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

This happened to us, too. It was kind of nice, actually, to have the lights dimmed. :) Maybe if they do the same, BigB088, it won't be so bad.

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

"Turn Out The Lights" by Teddy Pendergrass. :grope:

10. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Sounds like a great atmosphere to make babies. :lol:

Jenny and (deleted member) like this.
  11. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Haha there will be no babies being made unless someone has switched my bc with sugar pills :p

12. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I'm working Sat night for Earth Hour. I wonder how vented patients would feel about the vent just being turned off for one hour, in the spirit of going green? (of course, they would be going blue instead, but hey, it's a color, right?)

13. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

:lol: they may have a problem with that..

14. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I think the whole idea behind Earth Hour was for people AT HOME to use no electricity. It's nice if businesses do it, but I wouldn't expect anyone to do so.

15. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

We participated last year at work. We just told all the guests that we would be turning as many lights out in the buildings as was safe and invited them down to sit by the fireplace outside and roast marshmallows for an hour. It actually worked out well. If it was the middle of summer it wouldn't have but we're not overly busy at this time of year.

16. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

You do realize that using your ipod means you will have to charge it beforehand, which uses up energy, correct? And you also realize that portable speakers have batteries in them, which uses up energy?

I realize that it's an unpopular opinion but I think that Earth Hour is a ridiculous idea. But if you're going to do it, at least do it right.

17. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Holy crap.. chill. First of all my portable speakers don't have batteries in them.. they plug into my Ipod the same way a pair of headphones would. And my Ipod is already charged because it's been sitting on my stereo for the past week.

18. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Not that I'm a basketball fan (cause I'm not) but isn't the big college basketball games on Saturday night? Is that really a good time to have people turn off all their electric at home when they are watching that tournament thing? I know many people who would like ..... not. :lol:

19. JumpinBug

JumpinBug New Member

Um, you'll still be using the energy, and have to replace it, lol.

I'd had the exact same thought, but I'm cranky about Earth Hour. I think it's idiotic, and we're well past the "awareness" that it brings. How about enough Earth Days to form a habit... Earth Month? Isn't it something like 20-25 days to form a habit?

I'm extra cranky due to what I've been reading lately... No Impact Man, Sleeping Naked is Green, etc. Damn you reading!

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

This initiative originated in Australia, so I don't think they were too worried about March Madness.

21. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

It's one little ipod. I don't think it uses that much energy and having the charger in the stereo is better than having a separate charger. At least it's just using the energy the stereo would use anyway rather than using more.

We do try to conserve energy as much as we can as far as turning lights out when we aren't in the room.. turning them all out when we leave the house. We don't have a dishwasher, and we're trying to replace all the lightbulbs in the house with the energy efficient ones. So it's not like we don't try to do our part through the rest of the year.

22. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

You light up my life?

23. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Eys, and if anyone has ever visited a city like Sydney at night, you'd understand why the initative came about.

Businesses and advertisers use a HUGE amount of electricity throughout the night and the weekend by leaving lights on, as it contributes to the night lights/ scenery. IMO, those light should be turned off every night, not once a year, and the initiative was (IIRC) an attempt to make people think of that.

It didn't work :shufle:

But definitely no thoughts about March Madness! There's no such thing there :)

24. JumpinBug

JumpinBug New Member

Our power company released the statistics on any drops (a whopping 1% last night), and said the same... if it was done daily, it might make a difference. However, with the publicity all raving about one hour... it's just not doing anything. Our drop in usage was the lowest since it began.