Something Easy and Cheap to take to dinner party?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PDilemma, Sep 15, 2011.

1. DustPuppyOI

DustPuppyOI Well-Known Member

2. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I'm with Marlowe as well. I'd call the hostess and say something came up and I couldn't make it.
    If you don't like them that much and think there is going to be drama, why waste the time and energy? Spend the evening doing something you want to do instead. :)
  3. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Too bad she is so picky about wine: I wonder if she has a dessert wine in the mix..,
  4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Believe me...I'm thinking about it. However...making the trip is not completely a waste of my time nor is it taking me away from my husband. He works a 12 hour shift tomorrow and won't be home until nearly 7 p.m. Then he will sleep on the couch until I wake him up at 10 to go to bed so he can get up at 4:40 a.m. to work another 12 hour shift on Sunday. I'm not missing a lovely evening at home with him --and I picked the date for the hostess so it would be his work weekend. Another reason I feel obligated to show up. (As for her...she's just a snob about certain things, always has been and always will be).

The real upside is this: my parents live in the same town where this party is. If I leave early, I can hang out with them and watch the football game with my dad instead of at home alone. And he just returned from a quick trip to help his siblings with getting my grandmother's house ready to sell and brought a few things of hers back for me that I can get if I go. My husband's work weekends get really long for me--12 hour shifts Sat-Mon. I can only talk to the rabbit for so long. So this is a good excuse to not spend Sat. alone. And the invitation helps justify the gas, because otherwise, I'm not going to spend it just to watch a football game with them.
  5. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Make the best of your trip, stay strong, and remember the FSU snarky reply advice :)

Just remember not to get locked into something like this ever again!
  6. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Hopefully the game will go into overtime! :)
  7. Nan

Nan Just me

And if you want an excuse for an early departure, beg off with a stomach ache and blame the food of the person who annoys you the most. ;)
    Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  8. PDilemma

Oh, I have an excuse. And I'm using it. If I'm not home by ten --and I have to drive about an hour and 20 minutes--my husband will be asleep and I will not see him all day. I'm out of there at 7:30. And my hair stylist, who volunteered because he is cool like that, is calling my cell phone between 6 and 6:15 in case I want to make up an emergency and leave even earlier.
  9. Marlowe

Marlowe New Member

Ahhh! This sounds like a great upside! Enjoy!
  10. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

NO - NO OVERTIME
  11. PDilemma

AMEN!! We don't do well with overtime.
  12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

It's great that you are going to your parents to watch the game after - I do believe that when we have to do something we don't want to do or some other challenge, that a little reward is in order, whether it's the frozen vodka waiting in the fridge, or a cosy time with people you like.

Ditto your hardworking husband - mine has been working long hours for weeks now, so knowing the crunch is over soon, we have just booked a weekend away as a reward and something to look forward to for both of us. :)
  13. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I've set up appointments in my online calendar and had it send me a text reminder at a certain time. I'd pull out my phone to read the text and choose "I have to make a call/leave" or "It's okay - not important."
  14. PDilemma

That's his regular schedule. He always has 12 hour shifts on rotating days. So every other weekend is like this for us. It isn't fun, but the alternate three day weekends off are nice. And the pay and benefits are great.
  15. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Please let us know how this turns out (Yes I have no life.)
  16. Cupid

Cupid New Member

You want to bring something "easy and cheap" to the dinner party, I suggest you bring my friend Diane. :lol:
  17. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl:
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I thought of this thread yesterday -- my sister made her delish habenero jelly preserves this weekend and she saved me a jar! She grows her own peppers and jars them. Served over cream cheese with crackers, it is :saint:!

Also waiting for the reviews to come in from the OP's potluck. :watch:

Love the pre-canned discussion topics, numbers.
  19. PDilemma

Okay...two of the mean girls did not show and one person I didn't mind seeing did not show, so it was a smaller group. The nastiest one on the invite list was there, of course.

First matter....we have all recently had a milestone b-day and are a far distance from 20. But I would like to submit that we are not 80, either. There were five women there--including me. Three pairs of mom jeans and four pairs of sensible shoes. Not cute flats, mind you. I have nothing against cute flats. These women were all wearing shoes that can only be labeled sensible. Two were wearing those black shoes that are a cross between an athletic shoe and a loafer. With their faded mom jeans. The nasty woman topped her mom jeans and sensible brown loafers with a very boxy floral print jacket. I think my husband's 80 year old grandmother has the same one.

Two of them still have the same haircut they had in ninth grade. We were in ninth grade a long time ago. Those haircuts are more than a little dated. I suppose they go well with mom jeans and sensible shoes, though.

The food was good. That's the best thing I can say. My one close friend there and I talked among ourselves a little more than we should have. Mean girl acted sullen most of the time and responded in one word answers to anything anyone said. I did get the whole "you're the only one who doesn't own a home" thing from the hostess. And that is true, but doesn't need announced to me in a condescending tone. I partly used Numbers answer and partly that we don't want to buy until I'm working full time again and we have an idea where we want to live. Mean girl did slide in a comment about how she personally is not lazy enough to not have a full time job. I answered that I'm pretty sure lazy people cannot get through one semester of graduate school homework.

Of the five people there, two are single and three of us married. So creepy woman launched into complaining about her husband and marriage for awhile, mean girl followed and then they both looked at me because it was apparently my turn. I said, "well, I realize it isn't fashionable in our generation, but I have a very happy marriage". That silenced the room for a minute. It was kind of fun.

I ended up with two out phone calls, my husband when he got off at 6:15 and my stylist/friend at 7ish. I left at 7:30 on the dot to get home to see my husband. Mean girl announced to me that she had only seen her husband for a half hour all day and "with any luck, I'll see him less than that tomorrow. It doesn't really matter if you see them at all, you know." I answered, "it matters to me, so I'm going to go."

I took artichoke dip using the recipe Mag pm'ed me. It went over very well.

And prior to the party, I watched football with my dad which I don't get to do often anymore. He had also brought a bunch of old newspapers home that were at my grandmother's house including ones from the week of the JFK assassination, several with headlines from the Vietnam War, the RFK assassination, John Glenn's mission and a some other cool stuff. Those were really interesting to look through.
    suep1963 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Angelskates

Angelskates Active Member

Care to share the dip recipe PD?
  21. PDilemma

PM Mag. That's how I got it! :)
  22. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

It sounds like a triumphant achievement! Good for you - thanks for the the replay.
  23. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

Thanks for the rest of the story. Was afraid I would get to the end without knowing what happened.
  24. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Here is the artichoke dip recipe for anyone who wants it.

14 oz can of artichoke hearts drained and chopped (chop with a knife not a food processor. The processor makes it too smooth.)
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 cup mayonnaise (use real mayo)
    1 Tbsp finely minced green onion
    1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 tsp garlic salt (I use crushed garlic instead)
    1/4 tsp lemon juice

Combine all ingredients and place in an oven proof dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes. Be careful not to over cook as it will separate. This dish cannot be frozen and reheated.

For those who live in Western Canada, you can just buy a can of Western Family artichoke hearts and the recipe isoniazid the can.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  25. PDilemma

Here is one of the most offensive moments of the evening which was not directed at me:

My close friend and the nasty woman grew up in the same Catholic parish and went to school together since kindergarten. The parish is having its annual fall festival today and they are both going to it. Nasty woman with her sister and my close friend by herself, apparently. So this conversation actually happened:

My friend: Are you planning to be there for lunch?
    Nasty: Yeah. We're going to get there early so we don't have to wait in line too long.
    My friend: What time? We could meet up and eat together.
    Nasty: I don't think so. (Sister) and I are eating with some actual friends of ours.

Mind you...I have been to this parish festival which is practically in my parents' back yard. Lunch is eaten in a huge crowded social hall with long rectangular tables. It is not likely that my friend sitting with the nasty sisters would impede on their privacy as there is no privacy at this event.
  26. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The last time I brought something easy and cheap to a dinner party, my friends told me I needed to date a better class of woman. :shuffle:
  27. skatemommy

PD, is this an annual event? :rofl:
  28. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

That sounds like a whole lot more fun than the dinner. You should try to preserve those papers and use them for your classes.

I wonder if on another discussion board somewhere where nasty girl has been bemoaning that she agreed to this dinner :shuffle:. She doesn't seem any more thrilled than you do.
  29. PDilemma

I'm glad it is entertaining you. :lol:

Someone who apparently has no social life suggested that it should be last night. I did not second that motion.

They have attempted events every year for three years running with mixed results. Two years ago, they all had dinner the day after our class reunion, fortunately I had a family commitment. At that one, one person inexplicably drug her husband along, so it was six women and one guy who had to feel awkward. Last summer, they tried to organize a family oriented picnic event. We had a prior commitment that day, too. Not sure how that turned out.

I hate to tell you that I am going to immediately manufacture a prior commitment next time they invite me. Sorry. :p
  30. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

That's putting a lot more thought into it than I would. Next invite response would just be: "Thanks, but I can't make it. Hope you guys have a great time." It would be done with a smile in my voice.
  31. PDilemma

One of my dearest friends persists in thinking that these gatherings are a great idea. Never mind that she was the one slammed most blatantly by Madame Nasty last night. I have named her the Queen of the Optimists because she never sees the bad side of anyone or anything.

She will be less likely to feel slighted (and with the exception of last night, she has been the organizer of these events) if I say we have a prior commitment.
  32. PDilemma

I'm definitely going to try to. They were fascinating. One dated January 23, 1973 had headlines for the death of LBJ, peace talks in Vietnam and the Roe v. Wade case on a single front page.

Believe it or not, she is the one who said "we should do this once a year". I think she has no social life other than hanging out with her much older sister and it sounds like she doesn't like her husband's company much.
  33. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

If she says things like what she said to your friend to other people, I can see why.:shuffle:
  34. skatemommy

Some of those papers are worth some $ on Ebay! :cool:
  35. KatieC

KatieC Still jet lagged

Thanks very much for the update. Glad you got to spend time with your Dad.
  36. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Not really. Most were so mass produced and people kept them so they don't bring much money unless they're incredibly rare. They are fun to read, though. I like the want ads.
  37. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Something easy and cheap to take to a dinner party? One of the girls from Jersey Shore...
  38. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update and the recipe you used. I don't blame you for not going again if the mean girls will be present. Who needs that negativity?
  39. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

The best revenge is living well. :)

Thank you!