Some random news tidbits about Chinese pairs, Asada and Kim

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Marco, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Just some tidbits I came across while reading Chinese papers - can't guarantee accuracy. :lol:

Shen Xue supports Brazil and Zhao Hongbo supports Germany for the World Cup. They were both let down by the performance of the Netherlands. (They have been writing short columns about the World Cup for the Beijing Evening News)

Pang & Tong wants to continue to Sochi, and they are skating to love-themed programs for the coming season. They are not getting married until they can afford to buy a house.

Asada was voted Japan's third most adored national idol and is the idol of Yamada sisters who currently live in and skate for Hong Kong and recently won/ medalled at the Asian Junior Championships.

Kim is involved in the Korean theme song for World Cup and in the cheerleading for the South Korean team. She has been denying all sorts of rumour of her dating the other national heros of Korea (the soap opera guy and the soccer player etc). She was also voted CNN's sexiest female athlete (This might have been old news but still :swoon:.)
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:wall: :wall: :wall:

:( :( :(
  3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, yes! Oh, gosh, I'm so excited!

:cheer2:
  4. pengdequan

pengdequan New Member

Me too.I love them so much!:D
  5. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Pang and Tong can't afford to buy a house???? .... ;(
  6. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I know; I was hoping they'd finally retire.
  7. jlai

jlai Title-less

I think the couple always suffers from being in Shen/Zhao's shadow, despite their accomplishments. :(

Please BMW, give them a car (and endorsement please so they can buy a house...and hopefully retire too).
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Wooden stroking around the ice surface into required elements is exciting? :p
    :EVILLE:

I mean I wouldn't mind it that much, that's what most skaters do. But when *that* gets higher PCS than Savchenko/Szolkowy I want to go on a killing rampage. :mad: :angryfire :mad:
  9. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

Oh goody another season with boring and boring :rolleyes:
  10. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch New Member

Well if Sav/Szo wouldn't skate 2 miles apart from each other during their routines maybe their PCS marks would improve. ;)
  11. pumba

pumba New Member

Why, oh why the country with the biggest population in the world has been sending the same people for the 3 (three!) Olympics in a row... So many generations of outstanding pairs skaters have changed in Europe and NA for the last 15 years! And why is it so different from the Chinese diving or gymnastics, where we see a bunch of new stars each quadrennial?
    Please just let P/T and Z/Z go. I'm sure therу are other talented young people that deserve support and promotion. I just don't get it - what can these two couples show that we haven't already seen from them:cold::yikes:
  12. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Yes yes yes!!! :cheer2:

Transitions are but a single catagory that make up PCS :smokin:

I LOOVVEE Pang and Tong!
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

They don't. :p

Yes, that's exactly how I feel.

I am super excited about Sui/Han and they will be old enough by Sotchi and with their amazing talent they definitely will be a force to be reckoned with by then.

So no need to keep the "living corpses" going on and on.

I do know that I pay much more notice and give much more weight to Transitions than to anything else. But it's not like S/S are lacking in any other aspects.

The one thing they are majorly lacking is consistency. But that gets reflected in the TES score. ;)
  14. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Any idea who got first and second places in the vote?
  15. mkats

mkats New Member

AFAIK housing in China (especially in the cities) is now unbelievably, out-of-this-world expensive, due to lack of space.
  16. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I think you're right, because the cost of living has caused someone in China to come up with the idea of "capsule apartments". The "deluxe" ones don't look much better that the previous model (which were pretty much chicken cages for humans). :eek:
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Sorry I am going to repeat:

I will let go of the Vancouver 2010 Pairs Results.
    etc.

*shuts up*
  18. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Don't feel bad, I will NEVER let go of the Vancouver 2010 Mens Results :p
  19. letsskate

letsskate New Member

Humm.. I don't really think they have been suffering from s/z's shadow, because they're just not as good as s/z. They certainly don't have the accomplishments that s/z have had, and most definitely don't have the number of memorable programs that s/z have.

P/T's best program is probably at the Olympics this year, even that, i still wouldn't say it's the same as s/z's 2003 LP or the Nutcracker... just IMO :)
  20. letsskate

letsskate New Member

LOL... but you'll probably be MORE pleased when S/S actually BEAT P/T at big competitions instead of saying.. S/S won because the main competitors retired hehe. :D
  21. MikiAndoFan#1

:lol:

You're not alone.

:scream:
  22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well given how consistent (NOT! :yikes:) S/S are, I think P/T are likely to have the upper hand. ;)
  23. letsskate

letsskate New Member

well, fingers crossed that S/S will be more consistent the next four years! :D If they are, they really don't need to worry about p/t ;)
  24. jlai

jlai Title-less

A year ago there was an article about P/T being the "forgotten pair" because of Shen/Zhao, so it's not just me saying it :)

Anyway, had P/T been the first pair to become world champ., they would have become what S/Z has now, regardless of their skating skills. But does any one care about the second person to land on the moon? :)
  25. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

How much is housing in China that even two-time World champs can't even afford a house?
  26. letsskate

letsskate New Member

humm.. I think you have a point here, but I don't think it's about the first or second.. and there're tons champions of diving, badminton, etc. in China, and they're all stars..

Like Z/Z didn't have trouble passing P/T in terms of competition results or media attention from 2006-2009, so if p/t can past s/z in the competitions, then sure the media will pay more attention to them as well :)
  27. letsskate

letsskate New Member

I think it's because the Chinese skaters don't get to keep their prize money... or only a small portion of it... that's what I heard, but someone correct me if i'm wrong. :)
  28. jlai

jlai Title-less

Do you know for sure that Z/Z bypassed P/T in media attention in China or are you going by what's covered in the western press?

There're tons of champions yes, but pioneers like Li Ning and Chen Lu will always be something special. Why else is YuNa such a big deal in Korea?

Going by recent invite lists, P/T doesn't seem to be doing as many shows as S/Z, so there's $$ there too. BUt I can be wrong on that one.
  29. letsskate

letsskate New Member

I have some Chinese friends, and a couple years ago, they're telling me it's all about z/z in the media, and people rarely mentioned p/t....

and about the $$ from show, as far as I understand it, if you're still part of the Chinese National team, you have to give a major portion of your earning even from the show to the national team, not to mention the prize money from competition... so of course they don't have money..
  30. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

:lol::lol::lol: So I guess they were subtly saying they're never gonna get married :lol::lol::lol:
  31. jlai

jlai Title-less

All Chinese team members do that ala the Russian system, but that doesn't explain the whole story.
    Just look at the media events S/Z go to (http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2010-06-17/16425045419.shtml). I'm sure they got $$$ out of them, while the other pairs... (shrugs)

Looks like S/Z appeals to the public because they have a romantic Cinderella story that goes with their success. P/T probably has a similar story too but the guy didn't propose on the ice or come back after an archilles tendon injury or anything like that.

I guess S/Z is successful and sexy and that's why they got their BMWs. (see my thread in GSD)
  32. icedance21

icedance21 New Member

Wow, Pang and Tong will both be 34 by the 2014 Sochi Olympics. :eek: I'm still not convinced that Shen/Zhao will not make another comeback for Sochi. :p
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  33. MikiAndoFan#1

All they need is an Olympic silver to finish their collection!

:p
  34. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Well the tone of the article I read is more like they "aim" for Sochi.
  35. letsskate

letsskate New Member

ehh, don't take it that i prefer s/z over p/t.. that's not the case at all. I used to be really gutted for p/t the past couple seasons.. but i mean, when you compare to s/z, s/z have one gold, two bronze olympic medals, p/t only a silver, and if you compare the world championship medals, gpf results.. just not comparable..

p/t will get the attention when they have those results, their time will come :)

Also, I think s/z are getting so much media stuff is because they're now retired :)
  36. jlai

jlai Title-less

I'm analysing the issue from the angle of their marketability, timing and other issues. Our personal preference has nothing to do with it. The generic reasons of federation cuts, medal counts, etc, play in but no more so than in other cases in China. They don't explain how one Olympic gold medalist got all the glory while others needed public assitance (there was a story a while back on this).

I don't think whether S/Z are retired has that much to do with $$$. THey've had media attention before. Guo JIng Jing was among the top earning athletes in Asia before YuNa topped her and Guo wasn't retired then. Did you actually find some assertions of the kind in Chinese news?

Do you really think P/T's time will come ala Shen/Zhao? I personally think their time re: media will never come even if they get Olympic gold in 2014. They are just not as marketable. Everything they've done S/Z has done already and in a perfect "fairy-tale" manner. If you read the news story link re: S/Z, it's clear their marketability has much to do with their story.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  37. shady82

shady82 New Member

From what I know, a house in a large Chinese city is quite rare - extremely expensive, actually - and most people live in apartments. It's possible P/T mean just housing in general, including apartments, but otherwise, a house is hard to come by for anyone.

I love P/T, but as of now, I don't see them as legitimate Olympic gold material. As amazing as their performances in Vancouver were, they certainly didn't match S/Z at their best, such as S/Z at 2003 Worlds, 2004 GP and Worlds, and the 2005 GP. They may have been in the shadows of S/Z for awhile, but I don't think their level at that time was ever even close. Their skating skills, for example, are lacking compared to S/Z and the other teams.
  38. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt be surprise if Pang & Tong go to Sochi. I am sure the Olympic Gold is a dream for them, Aliona & Robin, as well as the Russians, and that is why I think all those teams will be there. Plus I doubt the Chinese federation will let them retire easily as they wont want the Zhangs to ever be their #1 team again. They want to still be in the running for gold medals and be virtually certain to get a medal of some kind at major events after all.
  39. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Lets face it, there isnt anyway S&Z will ever skate as amateurs again. To win gold in 2014 wont require beating S&Z. It will require beating many of the teams that are there now, and possibly some emerging top teams over the next several years. The only current team potentially clearly superior to P&T are S&S and at the moment their consistency issues give P&T a chance to beat them. K&M are potentially a threat and are even more inconsistent than S&S. Of course alot can happen in 4 years.

Will be interesting to see if Dube & Davison can ever really become a top team again or if they ever go for 2014. How the American pairs progress especialy Denney & Barrett. How the up and coming Chinese and maybe Japanese teams develop. And how that Volosozhar & Trankov combo pair out, can they even become a dominant or Championship team.
  40. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

I'm very happy Pang and Tong are staying. The world scene needs them, and I doubt they are being "forced" to stay. They came into their own last season, and it only makes sense they won't to carry on!

It is, however, sad that a couple that has contributed so much to world and chinese skating over the past decade still cannot afford a house. Someone get them some sponsors.... they really deserve it.