Some questions about judging

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, I have a few general questions, to get a better understanding of the system and not to stir the pot again (although it's tough to completely avoid that :) ).

1.Do the different feds discuss the judges marks after the competition, either individually (as a fed) or a in a group of judges, and give feedback to the ISU about the judging?

2.Are some judges asked to explain their low or high marks that appear out of line or plain unreasonable? Ex: Takahashi's PCS being 5.5 or in the 6's for his LP. I know in the 6.0 system if one judge gave 5.5 while others gave 5.8-5.9 to a skater, he/she had to explain why.

3.It seems the skaters are confused sometimes by the marks they got, especially the levels, judging from some of Trankov's comments. Do they get satisfactory explanations from the ISU (may be from the referee?)

4.Have any complaints been filed by any fed against the judging, since the COP has been in place (let us say since 2006, since it was the first time it was used in the Olympics; prior to that was more of a trial)

5.What happens if a complaint is filed? Is the ISU required to address it? I know they cannot change the results of a competition (with the exception of the 2002 OGM, but I am not addressing anything that took place before the COP came in place).
  2. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The very judges who worked at the competition do:

Rule 411:

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-202745-219968-166758-0-file,00.pdf

Yes, but not immediately afterwards:

For example, Rule 430(1)(d):

Remember, the outlying scores are trimmed, so one questionable mark for, say, a combination spin or one skater's transitions probably won't attract that much attention, but a pattern of, say, ignoring incorrect edges on flips and lutzes probably would do so.
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Thanks Vagabond for the detailed answers/explanations. It seems that the COP does not challenge the individual judges much, the way the 6.0 did (like right after the competition). If they have to wait for a report to come out, a lot of the material would be erased from their minds, and it will be hard to explain accurately. I thought the referee would question any out of line scores immediately but that does not seem to be the case.
  4. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

There are always "Judges Round Table Discussions" led by the respective event referees after each event at ISU competitions.
  5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I think some skaters mis-interpret being confused with being unhappy and just was justification more than clarification.