Some good Johnny Weir news

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by judiz, Mar 7, 2014.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Not sure where to post this so move it if need be. Johnny signed with CAA to represent him. He will still be managed by Cohn Torgan Management.

2. overedge

overedge where's the remote?

Nice to see him getting experienced and well-known representation.

3. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Does this mean he is getting away from Tara Modlin? I hope so......

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

5. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Hmm... :slinkaway:

6. NadineWhite

Jubak likes this.
  7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Interesting clip. Johnny apparently visits a haunted house in Pennsylvania where he grew up, and a mystery from his childhood is solved? :drama: I wish I could see the entire show to really get the full gist of what it's about. Is it available in full episode online anywhere? ITA that Johnny seems like a very witty and a 'lovely old soul.' :D

After checking out the above link, I came across this on Johnny's Instagram from two weeks ago:
    https://instagram.com/p/0zKnUdBhTM/

Indeed! Bravo to Johnny for his honest response, and for not backing down against such ignorance and hypocrisy.

LittleWalt likes this.
  8. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    gkelly and Amantide like this.
  9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ I saw that news too, but I thought it would be received with some 'moaning and complaining' about another freaking Carmen program, even if it is for an exhibition. :lol:

I knew Drew has done some coaching, but I didn't know he is choreographing as well. What will Drew and Johnny possibly come up with that can stand out from the ad nauseam oeuvre/ Carmen genre? How and why were they inspired by this choice? I guess it is a classic piece, but so often overdone. It would need a really unique and fresh take.

It would be more interesting if Johnny is going for old classics, to be challenged by trying to update/ re-interpret music performed by Toller Cranston or John Curry perhaps. :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  10. barbarafan

barbarafan Active Member

Terrific..I always loved his skating and lines etc, I did not understand why so you think you can dance had Tara on as guest judge
    if they wanted a figureskater they should have asked Johnny. She was rude and very critical without really saying anything. Johnny knows
    so much about lines and style he would have been much better.

11. zebraswan

zebraswan Well-Known Member

Late last year he had an online contest for his fans to choose a new program for him. The fans chose Carmen! :rolleyes::wall::scream: I think he had about 6 choices or so - mostly pop music, as I recall. I voted for "Chandelier."

I am sure Johnny will make it entertaining...but I wonder if most of the voters really follow skating. I thought one of the few things we could all agree on is that it is the most overused piece of music of all time.

12. Amantide

Amantide Well-Known Member

^I could see Johnny doing a great Carmen though. It's true that it is the most overused piece of music of all time but when it's a good choreo and performance you forget about it. I was very skeptic about I&Z choice as well, at the beginning of this season, and yet I couldn't get enough of their SD. Idem for V&T's Carmen, the best program for me.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Andora, sbaker-12 and clairecloutier like this.
  13. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

so are you saying " i cant with you" isnt constructive?

rfisher likes this.
  14. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I never get tired of Carmen.

15. barbarafan

barbarafan Active Member

Sorry...I really have no idea what you are saying..or referring to?? pls explain...maybe I am dense??

16. NadineWhite

sorry, lol, i'm probably the only one on here that watches "the haunting of" on a weekly basis (one of my favorite shows besides channel 285; investigate id, forensic files, et al). they never have figure skaters on these shows except for sonja henie last year (in spirit of course), thus i was surprised & delighted to see johnny weir appear. :)

he talked of traveling the world, seeing sites from far away countries, but nothing ever scared him like the building of his childhood in quarryville, pennsylvania (amish country). when he had to walk by it as a child he always got the feeling that he would be abducted; just an overall creepy feeling about it. and one time his parents visited some folks that lived right next to it and he was obligated to play with their kids, whom were aware of johnny's fear of the building, so they thought it would be fun to try to drag him in there, but johnny fought hard and got away. and up until he visited with psychic kim russo he never saw that building again for 18 years. he told kim he decided to come back and face his fear because he turned 30 and was a man, not a child, time to face the one thing that has haunted him his entire life. so they met up at this old brick derelict building in the evening. kim arrived first, then johnny a while later, decked out in a knit cap with a huge black pom pom on it, accessorized with brightly painted nails and a black cape to match. :) lol i loved it when he asked kim if "she would hold his paw" as they entered the building together. :D johnny said that was the first time in his life he had ever entered the building; he managed to avoid entering it when he was a child. so they went in and johnny said he was feeling wobbly while kim told him his two grandfathers were there in spirit to protect him. she told him things that he said no one but his immediate family would know, like how one of his grandfathers was nicknamed puff, and how his mother smoked like a chimney, lol. anyhow, kim told him that bad things happened in that building from back before the civil war, before that bullding was even built, in particular a mailman named thomas would capture the freed slave women, hold them there in that place and sell them. and in a past life johnny was one of them, named sarah, and that johnny has an old soul because he has lived many lives. and when he lived as sarah he managed to make the best of a terrible situation by his positive outlook on life and his caring personality, as he took care of his owners when they got old, and though they offered to free him (sarah) he declined. kim said that's where his charm comes from, how he likes to please people, and take care of them (johnny agreed, and so do i). :)

***note: i've watched this show for years and i have to say i've never seen kim so charmed as she was with johnny. i'm not surprised, imho his aura draws people in, like a moth to a flame!***

Jubak likes this.
  17. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

18. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

19. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I think that was one of Tara's comments on the show.

20. lala

lala Well-Known Member

ha-ha, as me.....;)
    This is like the Romeo / Juliette roles in the theaters. Everyone wants to play once in a lifetime...

Cherub721 likes this.
  21. zebraswan

zebraswan Well-Known Member

Hulu has the full Haunting episode up. I would never, ever watch a show like that normally, but NadineWhite's description has me intrigued.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/776698

22. barbarafan

barbarafan Active Member

thanks...I do not remember word for word her comments but found her mean and thought she might have been given
    lines to say...I really felt at the time that Johnny would have made helpful suggestions.

23. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl Active Member

I was one of the people who voted for Carmen, but only because it was the only non-pop song among the choices.I wish he had put in a more original, yet classical choice, but I'm interested to see what he does with Carmen. He has a video of a "preview" on his instagram.

I enjoyed The Haunting, although that medium could have found any of the stuff she said online! It's easier to "read" people in the public eye because the info is out there. I just Googled "puff" and "Moore" (Patti's maiden name) and the grandfather's obit came up, nickname and all. But nonetheless I found the show touching and entertaining. It made me want to watch more episodes, so I guess it did the trick!

24. NadineWhite

it's not for everyone, but oracles have been around since the beginning of time, one can choose to believe or not, that is their God given right. :)

before it was called the "haunting of", it was known as "celebrity ghost stories". that's where i first saw the bit about sonja henie, as told by actress connie stevens, whom lived in her house and raised her two daughters there. the episode that hooked me and made me a fan of the show was the one that featured ricky nelson's daughter, tracy nelson!

back on topic, i'm glad johnny is an open-minded individual and decided to appear on this show, he's always been a favorite skater (& now t.v. personality) of mine. i wish him all the best! :40beers:

25. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

So have fakes.

26. NadineWhite

true, unfortunately there are a lot of them.:drama: just as there are always going to be non-believers, that's life.

back OT: sorry to derail this johnny weir thread, wasn't my intention, once again i wish him all the best, as well as his fans!

btw i think it's great that he asks his fans for suggestions and actually follows through, very nice of him to do so. :) (on my way to take a peek at his "carmen")

27. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

Here's an article from USA Today about JW & the 2015 Kentucky Derby -

Johnny Weir's custom-made Kentucky Derby hat will be 'aggressive and very fun' :

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/joh...cky-derby-hat-will-be-aggressive-and-very-fun
    ETA: Last year's thread updated @ same time.
    See also: Johnny and Tara will be doing Kentucky Derby fashion commentary for NBC

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  28. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

I watch the show pretty religiously, too. Sometimes I feel kind of stupid for it, but call it "my guilty pleasure". I like Kim Russo. She is always pretty positive & nurturing. They have had some pretty awesome celebrities on her show, and it's true, many of them you would have no clue about the "hauntings". Johnny was very charming & sweet on the show. It also showed how he was bullied as a child and came out pretty well in his ability to be himself.