Solo Ice Dance Competitions?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by iDanceonice, Nov 7, 2010.

1. iDanceonice

iDanceonice New Member

Hi all,

I am currently searching for an ice dance partner (seems to be a near-impossible task!) and I was wondering if there were any upcoming competitions that offered solo ice dance events? I'm trying to get my skating "out there," so to speak. Also, any advice about parter searching or upcoming group tryouts would be much appreciated. I know this isn't really the best time to be searching for a partner as it's the middle of the season, but I'm just trying to get a head start :)

Thanks guys!

2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Where are you located (i.e., which continent/general region -- no need to specify your exact location)? What level do you dance at? Are you looking for solo FD/OD or compulsories only?

3. iDanceonice

iDanceonice New Member

I'm in Western Canada but am willing to travel to compete. Right now I'm dancing at the Novice/Junior level. Solo FD/OD would be preferable, but compulsories are great too!

4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I've never seen a Canadian competition with solo OD or FD.

A lot of adult competition have solo CDs - sadly, not Nationals, but many of the local/regional events. The Western Canadian adult event in Abbotsford in January will probably have them. Also, some of the "regular" competitions that don't have specific adult-only categories, but that have "regular" categories with no upper age limit, don't mind if adults enter.

If you're willing to travel, there are many more adult events, or regular event with adult categories, in Ontario and Quebec than there are in the West (sigh). You might want to look at the webpages for the Skate Canada sections in those provinces.

5. iDanceonice

iDanceonice New Member

Thanks for the information, overedge. I should mention that I'm not yet old enough for the adult competitions :(

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Oops! My bad. I just assumed you were, because people who post here looking for competitive opportunities are usually adults.

That being said, I still can't remember seeing any competitions with solo OD or FD. Starskate regionals and sectionals used to have solo CDs, though. I'm not sure if that's still the case. And many local Starskate events (e.g. interclub competitions) have solo CDs.

7. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Lake Placid's ice dance competition (usually in June or July) is quite big and has solo complulsories. It's a huge draw for couples dance, so it would be good to mingle there if you're looking for a partner. I'm sure Canadians can compete.

8. iDanceonice

iDanceonice New Member

No problem, overedge! I figured posting here for competitive opportunities was a bit of a long shot. I appreciate your advice, and I'll look into local competitions as much as I can.

vesperholly: Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to Lake Placid this year, but I'm going to try to make it next year if I don't have a partner by then. Thanks for the good idea!

9. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I am glad you are doing dance, whether solo or with a partner. I have known of people who won't skate on their own unless they have someone to hold on to. However to develop skills you do need to be able to work on your own.

I hope you do manage to find a partner though.

10. iDanceonice

iDanceonice New Member

Thanks Aussie Willy :)