SOI Canada

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Emdee, Jan 10, 2012.

1. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

If anyone *can* get a better vid of "Waiting for My Life to Begin," I'd love it. Looked like a truly beautiful number, and Colin Hay's singing is beautiful.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Fan cam video of Jeremy Abbott's "I Won't Give Up" (Jason Mraz) in Vancouver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMIeGKGpqdg

Thanks for your review, kwanfan1818!

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

It was the same thing at the show here - she skated her second number significantly better than her first. Our feeling was that she simply isn't comfortable in the sex kitten role. If so, it's a shame she feels the need to do numbers like this when there are so many other styles she could be experimenting with.

This number was the highlight of the show for me. Mesmerizing. :swoon:

4. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

Joannie has performed that number better before. I thought she was tentative last night as well, and I think she may not be that comfortable in that *costume*, which she basically has to grease herself into. Though she was better in that costume in Toronto (I think it was Toronto. Maybe it was Hamilton). But Jeff Buttle has also performed his first number better before as well.

I need to put together a full review but just some notes about the traditional last show "pranks". I didn't see *that* many (Kurt runs a tight ship) but I did see:

- At the beginning of "Rolling in the Deep" there's a bit where all 3 guys try to balance precariously on one foot for an extended period of time (http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/photos/2012/Hamilton Stars on Ice/IMG_0252.jpg). In Vancouver, Jeremy and Shawn continued to dance in place nonchalantly, leaving Kurt hanging alone on one foot before Kurt yelled something and they quickly hopped up on one foot for like 2 seconds.

- The most obvious and incongruous - during "Good Feeling" (the girls' number), Shawn suddenly came running out in high heels, a yellow bikini, and a small blue flotation tube around his waist. He went "Helloooo" and then continued to teeter with little mincing steps and fluttering arms down the entire length of the on-ice seats before finally making it to the tunnel.

- During the "Love Will Keep Us Together" part of the bows, half the cast goes to one side of the ice and shakes hands while the other half goes to the other half. Then partway through, they trade sides, and usually as the guy and girl on opposite sides meet in the middle they do something together, whether it's a quick hug or spin around or whatever. Kurt grabbed Cynthia by the face and planted a big kiss on her lips. She looked rather dazed and fanned herself after they broke off. Later, Ashley and Shawn went down the ice and did side-by-side jumps in sync. And then at the very end, Ashley and Jeremy stood with their arms around each other waving and smiling at the audience by the tunnel until Kurt came back out and pushed them in, and even then, Jeremy tried to break away and come back out to wave some more ;).

Kurt was ON last night. I agree with you, kwanfan1818 about that double axel in his second number - just gorgeous. I so enjoy this year's show. And I will have a longer review later. No photos though. This time I just watched. And wanted to throttle the people behind me who would not stop talking loudly through the entire show.

Oh, also I'm pretty sure the "Waiting For My Real Life To Begin" guys' number will be broadcast on the CSOI broadcast. They filmed it specially during warmups in Hamilton with brighter lighting exactly for that purpose. Of course, that won't air until sometime this fall or winter...

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I had no idea those were pranks -- I thought they were part of the show :lol:

Sawyer and Wagner's SBS jumps were dead on!

6. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

Oh and I meant to thank you for your review of the show, kwanfan1818 - I loved it! Your quick thoughts were quite in depth =).

You thought Shawn running past in a bikini was part of the show? That was the only obvious one. The other ones I mostly caught b/c I've seen the show so many times already...

Oh, also, I don't know if this was a modification they added after Toronto, or a final night thing, but during the transition where Jeremy and Scott carry Shawn out while Jeffrey directs them like an airport runway worker, Jeffrey was making loud "beep beep" noises. And then when they set Shawn down, Shawn made a loud throat-clearing noise to call Jeffrey back to wipe off his skate blade, and then made a pointed "THANK you" when he was done. It sounded like they might have been miked, so it might have just been a change to the show (they constantly tweak it).

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Guilty as charged :). I wasn't sure if it didn't change from show to show, but I assumed he did something.

I only ever see Vancouver, and I didn't realize that as last on the tour, it was special in other ways :lol:

8. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. tut88

tut88 Member

10. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

11. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

It's a wonderful review and you write beautifully.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Great review, Teenes! It was great reliving it through your writing.

You were right: Abbott did do a 3/2 combo :cheer2:. Buttle was quick and to the point during the World Vision speech.

13. reut

reut Active Member

Really interesting article about how "Stars" of this year were created. It has much more than only stories about the show itself, it's about how to be creative with limited possibilities, what skating show should look like, about bringing outside perspectives to figure skating and more. Teenes, thank you so much!

http://www.absoluteskating.com/articles/2012choreographsoi1.html

14. reut

reut Active Member

15. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Isnt this article about SOI, not SOI Canada?
    Saw today USA show. They didnt show some parts. Show look very good, but i think canadian cast look much better ;)

16. reut

reut Active Member

It's about both.

17. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

Thanks, reut! I'm glad you enjoyed it =).

Yes, the article is about the US AND Canadian tour. Kurt did the bulk of the choreography and learning process on the US tour, and then made changes to the show for Canada, and I talked to him about both.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  19. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

It's not geoblocked (I can't watch it in Canada). Just now I tried to find it on the audio-video section of the site, but no luck so far. Perhaps someone can post a link if they find the recording archived.

ETA: I should have examined your links more carefully. Since the 2011 broadcast is archived under "Emissions Integrales - Sport Week-end", the 2012 broadcast may end up on that section of the site in a few days.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012