SOI Canada

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Emdee, Jan 10, 2012.

1. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Great pictures, Teenes! Thanks for sharing. :)

2. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

I'm going tomorrow in Calgary, soooooooooo excitedddddd!!!

3. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Ashely looks so much better with white boots.

4. tut88

tut88 Member

thank you !!!!

5. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, they don't have one for Vancouver, and I never did see one. I think they only offered them for the Hamilton, Winnipeg, and Victoria shows.

Thank you so much for the lovely pics! and I really enjoyed your review!

6. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I went to last night's show in Regina and really enjoyed it. The two full group numbers were very impressive, although I was a little nervous anytime singles skaters were doing lifts. Thought the best solo number was Kurt's Feeling Good - after which I turned to my mom and said "he may be around 20 years older than the rest of the cast, but he's still got it" and my mom had said she was thinking the same thing. Shawn Sawyer's numbers both had huge reactions and really showed his versatility...I'd been a bit hot and cold about him while he was eligible, but I think he's found his niche now. The guys number was better in person than on the youtube video I saw, while I agree with comments upthread that Tessa Virtue was the only one that really "got" the girls number. Buttle's Both Sides Now was also wonderful, made up a bit for being a bit off in the Fleetwood Mac program earlier. And Weaver/Pohe's FD was breathtaking to see up close (and like the arrangement better than what they used in competition), just unfortunate that Andrew hand a random fall (but better here than in competition at least).

7. puglover

puglover Active Member

I just got back from the show in Calgary and loved every minute of it. Pure entertainment and worth every penny - for me on par at least with Cirque de Soleil performances I have seen. I thought the theme "Love'n'Life" was terrific and portrayed so brilliantly throughout the show. Amazing job by Kurt! The skaters voices were very effective and I felt the whole cast was so in to the show - it felt like they loved what they were doing as much as the audience. The lighting seemed fine to me and very effective. I also felt there was a great balance in solos and wonderful transitions between programs from funny ones - like when the men carried Shawn Sawyer out like he was a big lump and then Jeff cleaned the snow off his skate blade - to simple hand off type gestures. I'm not too sure about comparative numbers but the lower half of the Saddledome was full on both sides and some of the top tier seats as well. Anyway, I thought the audience was very supportive and responded well to all the skaters with a big Canadian standing O at the end. We own the dvd of "Up" and I have seen it numerous times so I just wasn't sure what I would think of it on ice but I was moved to tears. Again - Kurt!

Stand outs for me were - Tessa and Scott - I loved both of their programs and thought "Ain't No Mountain High Enough was tremendous. One of my favourite exhibitions from them. Tessa just glowed and I found I could not take my eyes off her in the group numbers she was in. She just has an amazing way of moving.

Shawn was born to be a show skater and "Alegria" was fantastic. He can do the most unbelievable things with his body.

I thought I might miss having a pairs team doing the overhead lifts and throws but I thought the two dance teams were so good they added lots of thrills and excitement. I have loved "Je Suis Malade" from the beginning of the season and Kaitlyn and Andrew did a beautiful job of it. I wish Davis and White had been there - I would have loved to see DF live.

I loved Jeff's "Both Sides Now" - sometimes I find jumps kind of jarring and an interruption of the flow of the program and I have always loved genius artistic programs and for me that is what it was. Just pure skating.

I thought the ladies were all very good this year. Ashley was terrific and was very well received. Cynthia is beautiful to watch and her jumps were lovely. Joannie looks like she is in top shape - she has wonderful flow from her jumps - no snow at all.

A few misses but handled with good humour - and I think falls are an integral part of skating.

A few people were complaining around me about the pimping for sponsors but I'm all for any company that will promote these wonderful young people getting recognition. I also have a daughter who has competed in equestrian and now that is a sport that endlessly plays to the sponsors - putting them in the middle of the field and having each rider salute them as they come in, etc. Anyway, I had a great Mother's Day!

Last edited: May 14, 2012
    maggylyn and (deleted member) like this.
  8. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

9. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Is anyone going to the Vancouver show?

11. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

I'm going to the Vancouver show!! :) Really excited, I'll make sure to post a review :)

12. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

My photos from the Toronto Stars on Ice show are now up. The lighting was way better (for photography) in Toronto, so I got a lot more good shots.

Toronto Stars on Ice Photos

Also, I don't know if people realize that you can search for skaters on my site and get all the photos they're tagged in - group numbers and all. It's not a super intelligent search, and I only really started tagging group shots in the last year or two, but it's one way to look for your favorite skater. For instance:
    Tessa Virtue: http://www.kurtfiles.com/pics/index.php?search=Tessa Virtue

Just FYI.

13. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

Thank you! :)

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Weaver/Poje tweeted:

15. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

and then from Cynthia Phaneuf

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Jeremy Abbott tweeted this scenic harbor view photo of Victoria yesterday:
    Happy 21st Birthday today to Ashley Wagner!
    http://twitter.com/#!/jeremyabbottpcf/status/202814836470579200/photo/1

By her latest tweets, Ashley seems to be enjoying Victoria, B.C.:
    Re-posting this reply from the US Ladies thread in the Trash Can:

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  17. figuristka

figuristka Member

Looking forward to the Victoria show. Perfect weather for days now. Glad the skaters like it.

18. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Just home from the Victoria show. Well worth the $15 I invested in tickets. In fact, I was able to move down 10 rows so I could see the skater's faces during the second half.

A few brief comments, not an in depth review at all....

Kurt is a genius. His choreography is simple yet engaging. Of course he is a funny guy and he can still skate pretty well:D
    Highlights for me were
    Shawn Sawyer...he has found his niche. Wonderful to see him doing so well in the arena where he had the skate of his life.
    Jeff Buttle. What a choreographer. "Clouds" was breathtaking. I got all misty hearing him talk about winning the world championships, because I was there!
    Joannie Rochette. She is in competitive shape. AFAIK the only skater to do a combo jump. Come back, Joannie. We need you, and you can do it.
    Weaver and Poje.. Je Suis Malade one last time this year. I've seen it 3 times live loved every minute.
    Ashley Wagner. She was really good.
    The men's group with the lights. Brilliant.

OK, gotta get some sleep. It's a big day tomorrow.

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

20. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Oops. I knew I forgot something. The TC review reminded me of V&M's lovely Hallelujah.

21. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks for the articles and reviews.
    The next best thing to being there!

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Fan cam video from Stars On Ice 2012 Victoria - "Waiting For My Real Life to Begin" (Colin Hay), performed by Jeremy Abbott, Jeffrey Buttle, Scott Moir, Andrew Poje:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV0MVnUXpoY

Fan cam video from Stars On Ice 2012 Winnipeg - "Good Feeling" (Flo Rida) performed by Cynthia Phaneuf, Joanne Rochette, Tessa Virtue, Ashley Wagner, Kaitlyn Weaver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9DkCk6Uq7c

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  24. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

25. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

Thank you, skatingfan04, kwanfan1818, Teenes, sap5, centerpt1, JasperBoy, flowerpower, and Sylvia for the tweets, reports, pics, and articles!

26. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

I'll be sure to post my review sometime tomorrow! :) (Or Saturday if I get too tired!)

27. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Same here! Some day I would just love to see CSOI! We should do a road trip up to Ontario in April/May in order to do that.

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thanks to everyone who has shared their first-hand impressions/reports and photos!

Thanks for taking the time to add so many photos and videos to your blog! :)

CTV news video (interview with Kurt Browning at the practice before the Victoria show): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBTNjv3UsLM

29. spiral9509

spiral9509 Skating is Language

Thank you Sylvia for links and I updated two programs at my posting.
    Especially "Waiting for My Real Life to Begin" in Hamilton was amazing and I have searched for the videos.
    I am so glad to see the program again.

No problem, It's my pleasure.
    It takes long to load the page because it includes many pictures and video links.
    Wait a little bit after clicking and enjoy the show...

--------
    Thank you for all reviews and fancams.
    I can not wait to see SOI 2013 Canada.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

General impressions from Vancouver, with the caveat that I don't know much of the music by name, and I need to make this quick:

This is the best I've seen Kurt Browning skate in a long time; I think his first 2A in the second half of the program was the strongest jump of the night, just explosive. He was clearly jazzed about the show, and he and Buttle should be very proud of it.

The first few pieces in the first half were remarkable not only for the integrated edge work -- as opposed to "And now here is my footwork pass after several minutes of cross-overs" -- but for the emphasis on changes of speed and balance. Wagner's first program also had some counter-intuitive use of the arms and direction changes. Sawyer's slow sections in particular were exquisitely skated with impeccable timing and musicality.

If you like Phaneuf, what she did tonight between iffy jumps would be appealing, but, to me, I find it borders on shtick. The dress for her first number was a perfect cut for her, and she should steal it for her competitive costumes. She also did a lovely layback spin, which reminded me that I wish the ISU would add in a choreo spin to the FS.

Weaver was wearing a gold dress with fringe, and her hair moved like the fringe. The first program looked open and empty after watching Browning, Wagner, and Sawyer -- I'm used to dance being the place where there are lots of steps integrated into the program -- but while the singles skaters can do their easiest jumps (or leave them out), the dancers have to do their tricks, mostly lifts, and if I were on a small rink in exhibition lighting with not much time to adjust to each new venue, I would want to be sure there were the best conditions to get the timing and placement correct. The number was a bit on the hair-tearing side.

Abbott was introduced as a "true artist", and he lived up to this. His slow sections were at figures speed, and he, too, emphasized balance. How he can accelerate so quickly to full, sweeping speed without any tells is amazing.

Rochette did a saucy sex-kitten number in a wet dream black shiny cat suit, but she looked tight to me, and her jumps were off and tentative. If I hadn't seen her second program, I would never think she's close to being competition-ready.

Virtue and Moir's "Hallelujah" was gorgeous, and like almost all of their lifts in both programs, they were simplified enough that they had breadth, lilt, and rhythm that gets lost in the Level-4-six-second-rule lifts. You could see the arc in and out of each position which was held at the top with a breath, and it was really beautiful to see. I don't understand the ISU lift time limitation rules: every second they're in a lift is a second they can't do something else.

Buttle had a rough first number. Usually I don't worry about jumps, but he landed a 2A with a fall into a near split that looked like it hurt. I don't think the program held together.

I loved the tappy, drumming opening into the finale and how it built. Watching dancers (and pairs skaters, when they perform) on their own during the group numbers is fascinating. Andrew Poje was a knockout in the first act finale. When the women did back attitude spirals down the ice, Tessa Virtue's posture was a thing of beauty.

The old-guy-reminiscing piece was beautifully done. I usually don't like sentimental things, but their touch on this was spot on: nothing was overdone. Weaver/Poje were charming as the young couple, and Weaver in a short dark wig, as one of the three women in the last section, really stood out. W/P were lovely in a period piece, but I doubt Krylova/Camerlengo would give them something that light and lyrical for a competitive program, now that they're in the fight for a podium spot.

Pfaneuf came out and did the obligatory lyrical, and it dawned on me how generally limited these programs are for women, especially when compared to Browning, Abbott, Buttle, and Sawyer. I realize that's not necessarily an average sample of male skating creativity, but there's got to be a better way.

W/P did their simplified "Je Suis Malade", bringing a chunk of the audience to its feet for the first time.

Shawn Sawyers Allegrias (?) was a thing of beauty, and his jumps and back flips came out of nowhere. He was a hard act to follow, but kudos to Ashley Wagner, skating to "Your Song". Yes, it was a GFB rendition, and yes, it was a lyrical program, but her interpretation was anything but the same-old, and she was the only skater whose movement quality was unrecognizable from one program to her next: she floated around the ice, and she was sublime.

In the Men's number with the spotlights, Poje was a standout when he, Buttle, Abbott, and Moir skated together, and Buttle's solo was gorgeous.

Rochette took it up a notch in her second number, another sassy number, but more sophisticated than the first. She could do a competitive SP in this style. She attacked her jumps, landing the first one perfectly, the next two not-so-perfectly, but she didn't back down.

Buttle's second program was a discourse on spirals and edges, more gorgeousness, although there were some back-flinging parts that were a little too :drama: for me.

Tessa Virtue owned the girls' number. In V/M's second, the cut of the dress flattered her, and the skirt moved very well, but it was blinding. The style was similar to the girls' number, but -- I'm not sure why -- it looked contrived when she skated with Moir. Back to the same style in the finale, she looked great again.

The finale was fun and kudos to the singles skaters doing those lifts. At the end of the finale when they were hugging and goofing around, Jeremy Abbott picked up Ashley Wagner and spun her around a couple of times, and then she sought out Kaitlyn Weaver to give her a big hug.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.