SOI Canada

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Emdee, Jan 10, 2012.

1. oakl0008

oakl0008 New Member

Thanks everyone for posting the details of SOI. Love that Sawyer is particulary well-recieved this year as is the whole show. Kudos to Mr. Browning for taking on coreography! I am really thankful for the youtube vids of Sawyer's two numbers since I am unable to see the show this year. Alegria is wonderful and I actually thought about that guy skating to it. That headstand is amazing. And according to the recent pictures, looks like he took eye makeup to a whole new level in his second number. Love it! Thanks again and keep the reviews comming! :)

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  2. tut88

tut88 Member

Thank you for the review !!!
    :)

3. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I was at the London stop yesterday, and LOVED the show. Loved the cast and especially loved the choreography. Kurt is genius. I have been so busy that I hadn't really read too much about what to expect, so it was really cool to be constantly surprised. I thought I had read that Meryl & Charlie were going to be there, but then I didn't see them listed in the program. However, they came out in the second half as guests and I jumped out of my chair I was so excited, LOL. So cool. I was also thrilled to have Jeremy Abbott in the cast this year, and I got to tell him so at the end when he was shaking hands.

Of course, London ate Scott & Tessa up. They were being applauded in the dark before their names were announced. I think they, Kurt and Shawn probably got the best reception from the audience in general. Shawn for his entertainment factor alone! He's just so awesome (and BENDY as my casual buddy seatmate commented). I personally loved seeing Jeff's Both Sides Now and Jeremy's short program the most, I think. And the group numbers were fantastic, especially the guys. I have to say that Cynthia skated very well, and I was happy for her. Really, everyone did quite well. I am looking forward to rewatching it all when they air it on TV eventually. :)

4. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

5. pani

pani Well-Known Member

6. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your detailed review! As I was reading along I felt as if I was sitting in the audience enjoying the show too.

7. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Dang it! I didn't get tickets this year because I thought I was going to be out of town that day ... but now I'm not. I could still get tickets but they'll be crappy seats.

8. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

i didn't have :eek: seats, but i still enjoyed it.

9. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

10. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Give it a shot Artemis. I've gotten tickets the day of the show in the past and have always gotten great seats. You won't know until you try, but, but, but, but go to the ticket place and speak to a human. That way you've have a better chance than if you go the computer or phone route.

I was at the Toronto show too, but was so tired afterwards, I literally crashed Saturday and Sunday. The stress in our house is pretty high right now w/my Dad's health and I haven't had a fun trip in close to over two years and I think the whirlwind of getting me down here and all of that took it's toll on me over the weekend.

Oh well...At least now w/the laptop I can stay in touch online and there was the Stanley Cup Playoffs and the Kentucky Derby, so it's not like i was bored. I did do something pretty stupid though.

Did I think to charge the battery of the blasted camera? Nope!! What really hurt is I got moved closer to the ice, second row, and could have gotten some insanely awesome pictures, but... :( I did get a few. A very few at that, but one really good one of Kurt from the look on it. Can't wait to get it off the camera at home to see if my hunch is right or not.

It was an awesome show this year and Kurt did great!! It really did have that old timey CSOI feeling to it. :)

11. figuristka

figuristka Member

Once i went to a show in Hamilton, then had several friends going to a Kitchener show( i think it was). My friend and i didn't have tickets but just showed up perhaps about 3 hrs before? Spoke to the lady at the box office arena and they had just released on ice tickets. We were so excited. Great memory it turned out to be. Turned out to be well worth the effort. Good luck.

12. tut88

tut88 Member

THank you !!!!!!!!:):):):)
    Great review !
    I think you portrayed perfectly the qualities of the 3 ice-dance couples

13. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

just catching up on all the great reviews here. Thank you so much, everyone!
    I am just pasting my reports on V&M and D&W from their threads (with a couple of additional details), but I have to say that I thought the entire cast did a great job. I hope everyone who attends the remaining shows has a wonderful time!

Scott was in this little transition segments called "The Four Stops," with Kurt, Jeff, and Jeremy (You can see these in the photos pani or Shayii had posted in the V&M thread http://photos.skatetoday.com/thumbnails.php?album=143). They were dressed in red jackets and did some motown moves but in a comical way. They were a lot of fun, and Scott had a great rapport with the other guys.

"Hallelujah"
    There was something almost ethereal and otherworldly about this performance...I don't even know how to describe it. It is a side to their skating that I hadn't yet seen...a deep intimacy conveyed through the smallest of gestures. The way they respond to each other's touch; the way they connect without even having to look at each other. Scott's body not only complements Tessa's: it completes it (and vice versa). Stunning. And the way the audience reacted (at least my section)...it was like they didn't want to clap too much during the performance because they didn't want to break the spell that Tessa and Scott had cast. And at the end, they erupted in super-huge applause. Very special moment.

Something else that stood out to me was the intensity with which Tessa and Scott skated "Rolling in the Deep." They did this move where they make fists and Tessa crosses her forearm with Scott's (making an 'x' shape)--they did this for two or three beats, then Tessa jumped and put one foot down and then the other, I believe (the whole cast did this part, but I was focused on Tessa and Scott). It was such a small part, but they were both 100% committed to the choreo and they were like thunder. They perfectly captured the mood of the music. I love how they make those moments so memorable, even though they have so many spectacular tricks. Speaking of which, the high lifts that W&P and V&M performed looked great last night--fast and smooth.

Tessa and Scott also did the Lindt "Dream moment" promos when they present a couple of audience members with a big basket of chocolate. They didn't just skate out there; they did a turn in waltz hold, and then Tessa did a single twizzle while still holding Scott's one hand (underarm turn). I just love how these two always dance. They were dressed in their outfits from “Rolling In the Deep,” and each had on red jackets from one of the “The Four Stops” transitional segments, I think. When they were talking about chocolate, Scott pointed to Tessa in a way that indicated that she was a chocomaniac! Scott started off by asking everyone how they were doing and saying that they loved performing at the ACC for such an enthusiastic crowd (and the crowd didn't know they were supposed to cheer, so he said that the crowd could be more enthusiastic than that and they cheered loudly). He said that he and Tessa had had many 'dream moments,' including winning the two world titles and winning the Olympics at home (huge applause). Tessa then said that chocolate was very important in her life and told the crowd that she liked to treat herself to chocolate after a good day of training, and that she liked to comfort herself with chocolate when she didn’t have a great day. She also said that she ate a Lindt truffle before taking the ice in Vancouver and followed that with "it must have helped." (loud applause). Then, when Jeff did his promo for World Vision and said that those who sponsored a child would be entered to win more Lindt chocolate, he referenced Tessa's speech, and said that after that a bunch of little girl skaters would be stuffing their faces with chocolate before they skate!

In the “Up” ensemble number, Tessa’s eyes widen when Scott picks her up and the way she protests is so cute. And Scott’s surprise and delight at the news came through clearly. I had a really good view of their faces, and was so impressed at how they acted out this scene. And they captured the lilt of the music beautifully. Also, when they were making their exit, they softened their steps to capture the fade out of the music. Their steps were so perfectly timed to the music—they seemed to finish stepping down at the exact time the note concluded.

“Die Fledermaus”
    Meryl and Charlie were awesome! Meryl wore the blue dress from the FD practices at GPF 2011. The crystals at the bust of the dress played beautifully with the light (crystals lined the shoulders and were concentrated at the centre of the bust). And she wore her hair back in a bun. She looked gorgeous! Charlie was very handsome with his shorter hair. He was in tails and looked very dapper. They had so much energy and the crowd was clapping along with them. And they just flew across the ice. Unfortunately they had to shorten their FD for the show, so they cut out most of the first section including the circular step sequence and went almost immediately into the second (Viennese waltz). They also omitted the spin and the twizzles. But they still were able to present the program beautifully, in a way that felt cohesive. They included all four lifts and the diagonal step sequence. The split lift was on the opposite end of where I was sitting, but it really is spectacular from any angle! Charlie's rotations are so quick and Meryl's position is just exquisite. And he sets her down so gently. huge applause for that. The curve lift also drew a lot of applause and was just lovely. I love when she extends her arms out. The last rotational lift came down a bit early but Meryl got really low in her knee and saved it--impressive! and it really didn't detract from their beautiful performance, at least in my eyes it didn't. I am so glad they kept the diagonal in this version of the program--it actually came towards me, so it was very exciting! It is such a joyous piece of footwork, and the smiles on their faces...priceless. They manage to skate with great energy and excitement yet still respond to the music. They looked like they were having a ball, and truly were a pleasure to watch. and huge applause at the end of the program! lots of loud screams from my section of the arena (I know they were very loud because I could hear them over my own screams!) I just loved their performance, and feel very fortunate to have seen DF live, even though it was an abbreviated version. I really, really hope they join the full CSOI cast next season so that they can do second program and the group numbers.

The guys’ number performed by Scott, Andrew, Jeremy and Jeff to "Waiting For My Real Life to Begin" was beautiful. I love the way the guys interacted in this more introspective number (I know that sounds like a strange way to describe a group number, but that is how it felt to me). They had these spotlights on tripods, like something you would see in a photography studio, I think. They placed the lights so that they formed a small square almost (each light was a corner). And each guy stood at his light, worked his way around it and moved on to the next one, then they brought the lights together in the centre. There were some solos, some moments with concerted movement in a circle, and other moments when they paired off with them holding hands or arms and each guy pulling outward...and the guys sort of alternated between moving in a circle (without holding hands) and weaving around each other...like, the guys from opposite corners passed each other in the centre and interacted...and they used their arms, bringing them over their heads, tracing an arc pattern with one arm and then the other...sorry, I am having a hard time describing this. but the patterns were very interesting and the edgework beautiful. This piece really showcases Scott's ability to move (though they all performed this number very well).

Tessa was just awesome in the women’s number, “Good Feeling.” I love this song, and found the choreography really interesting. She had great energy and her timing was awesome. She seemed to be so comfortable with the choreography that she could just let go and dance. I especially love how she showed the contrast between the short quick steps that correspond to the quicker tempo and the longer and slower movements that accompany the breaks and longer notes in the music. Tessa has little things she does with her neck and shoulders that accentuate what she is doing with the rest of her body. I could even make her out in the dark because of the shapes she created with her body--the way she moved her hip away from the rest of her body, the way she used her arms, the fluidity of her upper body. As pani said, she is a real star!

“Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”
    Yes, as others said, the disco dress is spectacular in person. And Tessa was really workin it! Her arms were wonderful (well, her whole body was, but I noticed her arms were even better than they were in previous outings). They seemed to be sinking into the movement even more and they really carried the energy of this piece til the end. They looked like they were enjoying themselves so much! so great to see! I noticed changes since the first CSOI show, I believe, in the part "no wind, no rain,"--Tessa has her arms sort of extended away from her body in front of her and parallel and she shakes them to the beat--but I am not entirely sure. They skated/danced this program really, really well. The disco moves really popped! This program was so much fun!

In "The Dog Days Are Over," Tessa, Scott, and Kurt did single axels right in front of me! (I wasn't on-ice, but I was in the second row from the ice). They were right in front of me, and Kurt was on the left, Tessa in the middle, and Scott on the right. They just flew down the length of the ice (doing footwork to the beat, of course) and did these beautiful axels. very cool! Also, the whole cast performed this number really well, and I mean everyone. But Tessa and Scott stood out because of how they worked the rhythm. Tessa looked soooo free and happy--it was so great to see! In one part of this number, some of the skaters stopped in front of the end of the rink I was facing (right in front of the people with on-ice seats) and Tessa was just beaming. She was smiling so much she was almost laughing--you could tell she was really enjoying herself.

D&W did come out at the end for final bows, but this was after the ensemble number to "Dog Days are Over." Charlie was wearing black, IIRC, and Meryl had on a dress that looked kind of like her tango romantica dress without the gloves and without the front panel of chiffon. It was a black dress with a v-neck and sparkles. She stood out because she was really into it, bopping along to the music. She looked very relaxed and very happy.

Tessa and Scott were so perfect for this show because they not only performed really well in their own numbers but also in the ensemble numbers. They work so well in groups, as they never get lost in them but they also do not call all the attention to themselves (although my attention is often drawn to them). They really connect with the other skaters, and they direct their energy towards the group and the audience.
    I also think this show really highlighted their versatility, as they were in so many numbers that had different styles of music and choreography and they rocked them all. They just know how to move, and everything they did looked so natural. These two feel the music in their bones.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  14. Bournekraatzfan

I'm glad you enjoyed the show, AragornElessar. I hope your health and that of your father improve. and I hope the show perked you up:)

15. Bournekraatzfan

a few more (brief) notes:

Cynthia was wonderful in the Toronto show--her jumps looked very strong, and she seemed to really enjoy performing. Her programs were well-received, and when she was exiting the ice, some fans yelled, "we love you, Cynthia." It was so great to see her receive such support.

I am so happy she included footwork sequences in both programs, as she is so great at them. In her first program, "Let Me Think About It," she included many of the steps from her flamenco sp, but made them work with the music. And in her second program, "Je l'aime A Mourir," she used some of the steps from her "Nocturne" SP, I believe, but again, she really made the steps fit the program. I have to say, she is just a natural performer. She is so expressive, and she conveys the emotions of the program through every part of her body...every gesture of the hand, every tilt of her head. I am so glad she is part of this show:)

16. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Thanks Bournekraatzfan!!

It certainly did perk me up and it and the following days in Toronto were wonderful. I knew I needed a break, but didn't realize *how* badly until Saturday when I just literally felt like I'd been hit by a steamroller over and over and over again. Sunday was a bit better, but not by a lot. Hate I had to let two days in Toronto go by like that, but I also listen to my body and it said stay at the hotel and rest. So I did.

Sigh...Even w/that happening, it was still a great time. I promise I will do a review of my thoughts sometime over the next few days while I'm at my sister's. I was right about one thing though. I did get a great picture of Kurt. :D

Talk about transitions, how about this one? I'm going from seeing CSOI in Toronto last weekend to having to prep for a Colonoscopy on Monday. Now *that* to me is one heck of a transition.

17. Bournekraatzfan

Aw, I am so glad that at least you were able to get a break. I can't imagine how difficult things must be right now. I hope you have fun at your sister's! I look forward to reading your thoughts on the show! And good luck with the procedure. FSU hug)))

18. spiral9509

spiral9509 Skating is Language

Thank you for detailed reports.
    I totally agree with you. Entire cast did a great job and I had a great time.

Especially three ice dance teams, V&M, D&W and W&P were so gorgeous and amazing. They delivered every programs.

Kurt showed why an Ice show is Ice (dance) show, with V&M, W&P and Joannie in 2 act Opening, "Up" OST.
    "Up" program was so touching like a well-directed short film.
    Also, it was theatrical, as if separate time and space coexist in the ice.

The audience burst out laughing at "the 4 stops"s interlude gag.
    (When clicking the link and watching it, you cannot but burst out laughing also.)
    Thank you again for the link of excellent photos.

Here are some video links of the programs which Bournekraatzfan mentioned.

V & M
    Halleluah
    Ain't no mountain high enough

D & W
    Die Fledermaus excerpt...sorry.

W & P
    Shake It Out
    Je Suis Malade

2nd Act Opening (Kurt, W&P, T&V and Joannie)
    "Up" OST (1) , (2) in Halifax
    "Up" OST in Hamilton

"The 4 Stops" (Kurt, Jeffrey, Scott, Jeremy)
    A comic interlude

Act 2 Finale
    Dog Days are Over in Toronto

PS1. I linked other programs at my blog with my brief impression and photos.
    http://spiral9509.tistory.com/95

PS2.
    I was so glad to see Jeremy and Cynthia with better confidence in jumps.
    I saw Jeremy's performance in person for the first time and his skating and rink coverage was amazing as I have heard.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  19. Bournekraatzfan

great blog, spiral9509! I love the descriptions you gave, and how you included pics and vids. I have bookmarked your site:)

and thanks for providing your thoughts and the video links here. btw, I love what you said about time and space with respect to the "Up" number.

20. Bournekraatzfan

I agree with others, there is still hope that you might get a great seat. I booked tickets April 23rd, I believe, for the show on May 4th. I was very, very happy with my seat. I attended alone, so that was one of the reasons I was able to get such a great seat, but I remember seeing some other good ones (a few in a row) still available at that time.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  21. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Boo Hoo. I didn't win tickets to CSOI Victoria. Now I might have to buy one.
    Groupon has a deal, might go with that.

22. tut88

tut88 Member

I wouldn't care for tickets position, it's just the transoceanic flight the problem :(
    Have fan to all !!

23. Bournekraatzfan

Those groupon packages are great, and I wish they'd had them available for the Toronto show. They range from $15 (upper bowl) to $75 (lower bowl+poster signed by Tessa and Scott+access to practices), so any one of them is a great deal. Just be sure to book soon--this groupon is only available for one more day (plus about 8 hours). I hope you have a wonderful time!

:lol:

24. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

I bought the $15 upper bowl groupon. Have to pick up ticket on the day of the show.

25. tut88

tut88 Member

Have fun !!
    And come home with a full report !
    :D

26. tut88

tut88 Member

I would like sooooooo much to see a video of this" Waiting For My Real Life to Begin"
    just saw a fuzzy picture of Poje :D

27. Bournekraatzfan

yay! remember to bring photo ID when you go to the show.

Also, just a reminder to those who would like to attend SOI in Victoria: less than 4 hours left on the SOI groupon (tickets for as little as $15).

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-star...ce-3?c=all&p=3

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It's so worth it, since there aren't really bad seats at the arena.

29. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

not one for vancouver? =(

30. Teenes

Teenes Active Member