SOI Canada

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Emdee, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Thanks, Teenes! I had already edited the title of video #7 before you posted and have now added Rochette's song title into post #101. Appreciate the 2 SOI photo links as well!

Article by Steve Milton ahead of the Hamilton show: Browning stars on ice — and off
    Excerpt:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  2. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

Oops, didn't notice the edit (or didn't reload), sorry Sylvia =).

More media: Kurt and Jeff audition a potential new cast member for Stars on Ice. I can't do a direct link to the video, but in their video player, it's the "Stars on Ice Cyril auditions for Stars on Ice cast members Kurt Browning and Jeffrey Buttle." video.
    http://ctvatlanticmorning.ca/

3. castmembersonly

castmembersonly Do What You Love

Great pix..thanks

4. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

5. puglover

puglover Active Member

I knew Sale and Pelletier weren't doing it this year - but no pairs at all?

6. A judge

A judge New Member

I just got back from the Ottawa show and there were no pairs at all. With two great dance teams it looked a bit unbalanced.

7. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

I'm just home from the Ottawa show as well. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

8. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

details, details!

9. A judge

A judge New Member

Everyone did an amazing job notably Sawyer, Abbott, Wagner, Virtue and Moir and Browning.

10. A judge

A judge New Member

Could someone clue me in why Phaneuf does SOI and not Lacoste who is the Canadian champ?

Phaneuf was doing a lot of falling today.

11. emilieh

emilieh Active Member

I believe Phaneuf is represented by IMG and Lacoste is not. Most of the SOI cast is with IMG.

12. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

This is not Cynthia's first year with CSOI either - she has toured with them before. Also - this is not a "champions" tour.

13. victorskid

I'm just home from dinner with friends after the Ottawa show. We all thoroughly enjoyed it, one friend said it was the best in 7 or 8 years and was "back to what SOI used to be".

Who skated to what is answered in the program information linked by Teenes above. If I recall correctly, there were 3 falls - 2 by Ashley and 1 by Cynthia, both in their first act numbers. There were some "near misses" along the way but no disasters.

I thoroughly enjoyed having the dancers involved and I think that gave Kurt more to work with in terms of edges, footwork, etc. I believe Scott Moir even managed a double jump in one of the group numbers :)

The men in the spotlights were, I believe, Jeff, Jeremy, Andrew and Scott as speculated above.

The show began at 4:05 and finished about 6:15. We had no guest skaters. Some of the lighting was a little hit and miss but the show was well conceived and performed. It was amazing to remember that several of those skating were performing in Tokyo just a week ago!

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  14. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Phaneuf is probably better for show skating anyway than Lacoste, IMO.

I was at the Ottawa show and while she fell once or twice, I think she skated better in this show than at the WTT. lol.

Shawn Sawyer was the highlight of the show for me, especially when he did the backflip at the end while holding the teddy bear the fan gave to him. :)

The plugs that the skaters have to do for Lindt are shameless! (Tessa, Scott, Kurt).

I also really enjoyed Weaver and Poje and Jeremy Abbott. Well, I enjoyed everyone, but them (and Sawyer) above all.

Saw Elizabeth Manley in the stands, and outside the building! I didn't ask her for an autograph because I didn't have anything for her to sign, didn't buy the overpriced program, and others were already swamping her with attention anyway.

15. shan

shan Well-Known Member

From Mervin Tran's twitter:

16. victorskid

That's too bad - hope it's nothing serious :(

17. tut88

tut88 Member

Any other news ?
    I 'm curious about the UP's number .
    Wish there was a complete video :)

18. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

A full report of the show would be wonderful for anyone who has seen it!! This thread has been surprisingly quiet on details and thoughts!

19. jeb

jeb New Member

20. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

Just back from the Toronto show where my single seat turned out to be the extra one in a short row right next to Sonia, her mom, and the two boys... :cool: I got lots of waves from Kurt :). It was interesting to see which numbers she cheered the loudest for and which got only polite applause (or none at all, though in some cases that was because she had a child on her lap ;))

Thought the group numbers were all great, and more complex than in past years. The only fall was by Jeremy on his lutz, though Meryl and Charlie almost missed the dismount on their last lift. Tessa and Scott's disco was infinitely better than at Worlds and Team Trophy. I think it was helped the most by them managing to remove the standing around that used to be in the middle. It now flows more naturally between the sections.

I really think this is the best the show has been in years, though it is helped by having such a superb cast overall. Kurt's choreography is fantastic and the skaters did an excellent job making it look like they've been doing it for a while and not just a few shows.

Two thumbs way up! :encore:

21. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Just got back from the Toronto show as well, and I thought it was incredible from start to finish. Definately the best one in a few years. :D I'll try to post a deatiled review in the morning.

22. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Just got back! Best SOI ever, I think! We've had a blast and I'm completely exhausted. I'll just do part one tonight.

We went to Meet & Greet. Got to watch the practice warm up. Meryl moves her body in the most undulating snakey way! She was in sneaks on the side, almost unrecognizable without makeup. Andrew Poje came out in long baggy shorts, rumpled hair, looking like he just crawled out of bed. Very funny. My, but he is one tasty specimen of manhood! Joannie, Cynthia and Ashley bombed around kibbitzing with Kurt, Jeremy. Jeffrey and Shawn. Very relaxed and fun. Then we went to M & G, about 20 of us. Best part? 2 little girls, about 9, in their club skating jackets and purple skating costumes, black hats with rhinestones, who proudly showed them to Joannie and Cynthia. Very cute! I'd love to show you the pix but I didn't think to get permission so just take my word for it, piles of fun! J & C were so nice, both really gorgeous.

Our seats were great, best ever. Centre, on ice opposite the skater entry. Kurt is an absolutely amazing genius! I'll tell you more tomorrow; I'm just so tired now and have to crash. And I took pani's suggetion to heart. I represented the thread well! I'll tell you what I did tomorrow. But for now, Shawn Sawyer was brilliant! Manana!

23. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

Wow, I just watched the video of the group finale, and the choreography is so awesome! Really effective to the music. I hate to compare, but I just watched the group numbers for All That Skate, and SOI Canada wins hands down. :lol:

24. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

I was at the Toronto show last night, and it was the best SOI I've seen for quite a while. Kurt did a really good job with the choreo. There were some excellent group numbers - I particularly liked the men's number with Scott, Andrew, Jeff and Jeremy - a modern, abstract piece lit with portable spotlights. Scott and Jeff, in particular, showed great finesse and musicality. Also loved the first act group finale to "Rolling in the Deep" and the women's number.

Cynthia Phaneuf started her program looking straight at Brian Orser in the front row - no pressure! :D She skated really well; landed a good 3loop as well as 3toes. She has great presence and command of the ice in exhibition settings. Joannie very polished and convincing, nice 3toe and 3sal. Ashley Wagner is developing well with her presentation, the SOI experience will be great for her I bet. Think she did 3flip - sorry, can't remember. Wish I'd taken notes.

Cheezy promos for Lindt chocolate, but hey, you need sponsors. Jennifer Robinson was at the show - she's looking great!

25. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

My mom and I enjoyed the Hamilton show the other night and thought it was one of the most enjoyable CSOI shows in years. We loved all the group numbers (Kurt's choreography was WONDERFUL), the solo numbers were all fantastic, and we got Meryl & Charlie as special guests which made my day since I love their skating (they did a modified version of their FD which was wonderful :swoon: ). I thought Ashley and Jeremy blended in beautifully with the Canadian cast members and everyone looked like they were having a blast overall. Loved Weaver/Poje's numbers, Ashley's programs were great, Joannie was wonderful as always, and Jeremy's 1st number to "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz melted me into a puddle (I LOVE that song :D). I personally thought the transition number with Barry, Larry, Harry, and Les was HILARIOUS. The guys played it all off SO well and we were all cracking up, LOL :lol:

BTW-Sorry I'm just now posting my thoughts about the show....we got home late last night and I'm feeling rather lazy today. ;)

26. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

Writing my ridiculously long review now for my website so I won't waste my breath here. I had the opportunity to interview Kurt for an upcoming article on Absolute Skating and asked him all about choreographing Stars on Ice.

And then I got online today and discovered that he basically told us everything in great detail about the choreography and development of the show in his recent blog post on the Stars on Ice site! It's a wonderfully detailed and interesting post (in my opinion) - probably more insight than we've gotten so far into the development of a show like Stars on Ice. Check it out!

http://www.starsonice.com/?content=blog&id=4700

27. spiral9509

spiral9509 Skating is Language

At my blog, "Skating is Language" -- http://spiral9509.tistory.com

I link the videos and photos of "Stars on Ice 2012 Canada" with my brief impression.

http://spiral9509.tistory.com/95

All photos and some videos are shot by me in Hamilton show.

Most of videos I link were shot in Halifax show,
    which I found at youtube.

Thanks so much for the fancams.

Enjoy the show!!!

-------------

Here is my brief impression about the show.

On May 4th, I watched SOI Canada in Hamilton.

Kurt's talent as a choreographer and show director is amazing.
    Especially the bridge programs by so called "the 4 Stops" (Kurt Browning, Jeffrey Buttle, Scott Moir, Jeremy Abbott) were so funny and witty.
    At another men's performance dancing to "Waiting for my Real Life to Begin," Jeremy, Jeffrey, Scott and Andrew used the lighting and it became skaters' choreography itself.

Act 2 opening program inspired by Pixar's animation "Up" was so touching and well-directed short story.
    Also, it was so theatrical, as if separate time and space coexist in the ice.

I enjoyed Rochette's smile and her rhythmical choreography.

Of course, three Ice dancing teams were so precious in this show...
    What a great speed and steps!!!
    Needless to say Virtue/Moir and Davis/White, and especially Weaver/Poje's passionate FS made audiences in Hamilton applause on their feet.

The audiences in Hamilton were impressive and warm-hearted.

They remained, even after the show was done.
    Whenever a few skaters repeated their programs for TV editing, audiences gave applause to encourage skaters to succeed in jumps.

Even though I missed first 15 minutes due to traffic jam at the Canadian/US border and I had heavy rain storm in returning,
    it deserved it.

I have watched competitions in North America such as Skate Canada International, US Regionals and Sectionals (In case of Skate Canada, I watched Gala too),
    but this show was my first experiences of Ice Show in North America.

Totally nice and sophisticated show...
    I can not wait to see SOI Canada (or US) 2013.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  28. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I was at the Toronto show Fri night and by far my favourite number was Jeff Buttle's second number to "Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell. It was an incredible piece of choreography and brilliantly skated by Buttle. It was such a departure from his first number to Fleetwood Mac and really showed off his versatility.

I also loved the mens number and the 'Rolling in the Deep' group number. The worst number in terms of how it was skated was the girls number. One of the girls (I think it was either Phaneuf or Wagner) always seemed to be off the music and missing steps.

Wagner was on fire, jumps-wise (IIRC she did lots of 3flips) and Abbott was solid though he fell on a 3lutz in his SP. Davis & White were great (really liked her dress) though Charlie almost dropped her in the final lift. His hair is short now and it looks so much better IMO.

I thought Shawn Sawyer had the biggest applause of the night for his Alegria number. The crowd went crazy for him and his backflips.

29. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

And headstands.

30. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

and eye makeup