Sock Monkeys! (For a good cause)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Marge_Simpson, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

Craft Hope has their latest project up, they need sock monkeys. Info here:

http://crafthope.com/2011/10/project-15-sock-monkeys-for-texas/

Monkeys give me the creeps, so I am not going to make any. They mentioned on their Facebook page that they will take other stuffed animals. I have a pattern for a stuffed elephant, which I bought because it was so cute, but obviously I don't need any stuffed elephants. But now I can put it to good use, so it was not a waste of money after all.

2. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

There are patterns out there for other critters made with socks. Those monkeys are cute :)

3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I love sock monkeys -- but only the traditional grey with red "heel lips" variety.

On a related note ... I was trying desperately last year to find some sock monkey christmas tree ornaments. I spotted them on one website but they weren't shipping to Canada. I did eventually find a pattern for making them, but that's as far as I got.

4. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

First off, thanks Marge for the heads up. Will pass along to our Craft thread at the LOTR MB I belong to. :)

Second, ITA w/Artemis' views on sock monkeys needing to be the traditional coloured ones. I also had one when I was little, but he sadly ended up being a bit too loved and fell apart on me. I keep meaning to make one, but that's as far as I've gotten. I do have a Cross Stitch booklet that's full of Sock Monkey charts/projects, but sadly, *again* that's only as far as I've gotten w/it too. Oh well...:)

BTW...Bernat has put out a new line of yarn in their Jacquards series. I was given a couple of skeins as a gift for a pair of socks I'd made, a friend of ours who'd dropped in to say "Goodbye and Take Care" before her move out of the area saw and got for me in return for the socks. They also are stripe as you go yarn, but it's thicker than the other stripe as you go/pretty much strictly for socks yarn that's out there. Of course there's a sock pattern for it, which I've made w/both skeins. Well...Actually one and a half pairs of socks made w/the yarn, but that'll change come next week.

The one skein she gave me is soooo pretty. It's a selection of pinks from light, to dusty rose to a gorgeous deep cranberry. There's two kinds of varigated on this yarn too. One is white and then the dusty pink and the other one is the light pink and the deep cranberry. The socks I made w/it are just lovely and so pretty. I've since picked up two more skeins in that pattern/colour scheme and have started a pair of gloves.

The other skein are mostly made up of greens, and if they'd stuck w/that it would have been just as lovely as the pink one, but...For some odd reason, they decided this plummy purple needed to be put into the overall look of the yarn. Mind you, it's not an ugly colour. It's just not right for a skein of yarn where everything else is built on a green scheme. It certainly takes your eye away from whatever you've made from the skein and straight to that plummy purple. Which is a shame, but what can you do, right?

I've seen the all blues and purples yarns in the series/line and they're gorgeous!! I need to pick up a couple of skeins of them, as the yarn's soft, but thick and would make up gorgeous crocheted hat, gloves and scarf sets I've put together thanks to three separate patterns I've found over the years.

They'd also go over wonderfully for anyone who is crafting Winter things for Homeless Shelters in your area(s). Yes, they're warm and thick, but w/the patterns the yarns make, are also pretty. How often does a Homeless Person end up getting something pretty, but also usable/practical?

Giving someone in dire need of Dignity that very thing, just by making something that looks nice, is priceless.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that for those who haven't seen them yet for those interested. :)

5. Marge_Simpson

I was in the Dollar Store earlier, buying some odds and ends. I was looking for a pack of paper plates, unfortunately the paper goods were located next to the children's things. Something brightly colored was registering in my peripheral vision. My brain split in two. I began having a conversation with my 2 selves in the store.
    Self # 1 Look! Over there!
    Self # 2 Yes, I see some girls' knee socks. So what?
    #1 Sock monkeys, stupid!
    #2 Monkeys are creepy. Shut up and let me find my paper plates.
    #1 But look at all the nice colors. There are striped ones. And dotted ones.
    #2 I told you, I hate monkeys. Now be quiet.
    #1 But they are only a dollar!
    #2 I don't care if they are free. I'm going to pay for these plates now.
    #1 Well, ok, YOU don't like monkeys. But those homeless kids do.
    #2 Hmm, you could be right. But I can't sew monkeys.
    #1 Oh, please! Didn't you just sew a shirt? With sleeves that went in perfectly?
    #2 Well, yes, but it was an easy pattern. A monkey could have sewn it.
    #1 A monkey! Tee hee!
    #2 Shut up! Just shut up!
    #1 You could at least try it. The socks are cheap enough.
    #2 Fine, fine, fine. I will buy socks. I will make monkeys. I've lost my mind and I'm never going to find it again.

I bought 10 pairs of socks. Now I must make monkeys.

6. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Marge, I just lurrrrve you. xoxo

I hope we get a picture of your "creepy" little monkey brigade. I bet they're adorable.

7. Marge_Simpson

I don't have a digital camera, alas, so you will be spared the sight of my monkeys.
    I have gone off the deep end completely, I have enlisted my crafty coworker to knit scarves for them.