Sochi Winter Olympic Construction Hit by Resignation

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Iceman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Nothing new. There have been accusatiosn of corruption for a long time. Residents had their property confiscated to build the projects. The budget for the games have already surpassed that of the Vancouver 2010 games.

3. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Perhaps we should begin to place bets on whether or not the 2014 Olympics will truly be held in Sochi? It wouldn't be the first time that a selected locale gets the Olympics yanked away from them a year or two before the games.

4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I can't believe that Russia would let that happen, any more than China did -- far too big a black eye internationally.

5. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

Confiscation of private property took place in Russia in 1917. Nowdays it's possible only in accordance with the court ruling as a sanction for committing a crime or another violation of law. What is taking place in Sochi is called redemption of the land for the state needs, shall be admitted only with the consent of the owner or, if he doesn't agree, by the court decision. The redemption price, or a new land plot instead of the withdrawn one, or any other term and conditions of the redemption are the subjecst of the agreement between the owner and the state, if the agreement didn't take place- court ruling.

6. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

oh ... so now it's LEGAL confiscation ;)

7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Sounds like the Russian version of eminent domain.

8. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

Confiscation is a seizure without compensation. Redemption means the owner gets paid or gets a new land plot.

9. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I have a friend who was in Sochi last year. He said it looked like nothing was going on at all in terms of the venues. And although I haven't been in Sochi specifically, I've been a bit farther down the coast. It's "pretty," but there's not much of an infrastructure: questionable sewage treatment, dodgy hotels, looks like you need an army in there with weed whackers to clean it up.

10. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I'm one of those who will be surprised if the games are ever held there.

11. sequins

sequins Active Member

How many times has that been done? I always heard them threaten to have Sydney host again when Athens couldn't get their act together in 2004, but I never knew they actually yanked them away from anyone. Just curious.

12. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

And Australia breathed a sigh of relief, because while our venues are still world-class, the athlete's villiage had been sold off as boutique apartments and the athletes would have nowhere to stay.

Sydney = still "best Olympics ever", officially ;)

I don't understand why people are so skeptical about Sochi having their act together. None of you were following India's recent hosting of the Commonwealth Games, were you? They didn't start building half the venues until NINE MONTHS before the competition. It was unfinished, dodgy, and they had no crowds. I would like to think Sochi is capable of more than that.

13. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It's not in that article but some ski events take place near Sochi starting the 15th. There are a lot of minor test events scheduled.

14. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

The Olympics have never been "yanked away" for lack of preparation, but they have been moved twice. The 1908 Olympics were supposed to be in Rome, but they were moved to London after Mt. Vesuvius erupted in 1906. The 1976 Winter Olympics were awarded to Denver, but Colorado voters refused to allow any tax dollars to be used for the Games, so they had to be moved to Innsbruck.

I doubt Sochi will lose the Games--if they were in jeopardy, the IOC would be saying that in the media. The IOC started talking about moving the Athens Olympics in 1999, and 2001 was the latest that the decision could have been made to move the Games. If the Sochi Games were going to be moved, the decision would have to be made very soon.

I'll be very surprised if the IOC makes it through both Sochi and Rio without a major incident. Both locations are disasters waiting to happen.

15. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

IOC does routine checks of the venus and evaluates the progress that is happening. Till now IOC has been happy with the progress, maybe they are over spending the budget which is very likely. However, if you look at London budget they too have overspent by a lot and the estimates have been revised few times. London has changed half stadium plans, decided not to construct some venues like canoeing/Kayaking and moved it to other cities in UK. But we never heard any fuss made of it. When they beat Paris in a very tight race to host the games they promised certain venues and then they decided not to don't build these venues.

Unlike Vancouver, Sochi is upgrading entire city building high speed railway to new hotels.So there spending will be a lot higher. So the comment that nothing is happening Sochi seems bit lame, this is DW TV's criticism of construction work (environmental) in Sochi few months ago. and official progress video, there are other videos available check suggestions. Western countries needs to stop fear mongering when it comes to Russia.

Only concern IOC have raced is that of the new Formula 1 track that will host russia's first formula 1 race. They have wondered whether it could slow the progress of construction in future.

16. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Domshabfan, I've heard that the IOC are pleased with the progress too. Hence why this thread confuses me so much.

As I happen to have quite an interest in Formula 1, I can tell you there's a lot of talk going around to have the Russian Grand Prix moved later in the year, so that Sochi has enough time to sort themselves out after the Olympics before the race. I'm a little disappointed as I had my heart set on a Moscow Grand Prix or St Petersburg Grand Prix (zooming past the Kremlin or through the Red Square! Hell yes!) but I'm hoping the Russians will do a spectacular job all the same.