Sochi Opening Ceremony...Who will light the flame?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by DarrellH, Jul 23, 2013.

1. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Who would they choose? A past Olympic champion? Plushy? Rodnina? Gordeeva?

2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Probably Plushenko.

3. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

As much as I'm for a skater, I think no on Plushenko. It will likely be someone of a larger significance in Russian Olympic sports. Who that would be I have no clue, but I bet zero dollars on it being Plushy. I'd bet higher odds on a hockey player. If there is some type of relay run where several people are chosen to carry the torch on a final lap type of thing, I could see Rodnina a high possibility for a skater choice.

4. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

You may be right about a hockey player. or a cross country skier

5. lala

lala Well-Known Member

The old hockey player..maybe Tretiak? or other famous players in the Soviet Red Army..They were incredible..the whole NHL was nothing compered them :lol:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  6. misskarne

misskarne #408

Would it really be a good idea to have Plushy if he's competing, though? Cathy Freeman lit the cauldron for us in Sydney and ran, but running is not a judged sport where reputation is king and accusations of fixing/corruption run rife...

If he's not competing, I think he will definitely have some part in it. He's a huge part of their Winter Olympic history and it would be fitting for someone of his stature to take part.

I think a relay around the stadium is always a bit cool because that's where you put your greats.

7. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I hope whoever lights the cauldron isn't someone who is also going to be competing. I would rather it's an older Olympic legend which Russia has many to choose from.

8. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Don't choose a Russian ice dancer. With the amount of bleach and hair product they use, standing near an open flame is just asking for trouble.

9. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Plushy will carry the Olympic torch in St. Petersburg.

10. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Can't imagine it will be an active competitor. If Plushenko will indeed be well enough to be a part of the Russian team, I think it's far more likely that he'll be the Russian flagbearer.

11. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

:rofl:

12. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Yes, Tretiak!

13. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

I assume Putin will again show his strength, and throw a burning bear to light the flame...

14. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

:lol:

15. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

In giving it some more thought, I doubt they'd choose a woman (even Rodnina). This is a very male-centric government at the moment.

16. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

double post

17. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

I would never imagine them choosing Johnny to light it. But, if the current Russian administration continues with their homophobia, I can imagine him protesting by roasting some marshmallows on it ;-)

18. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I'd bet on someone with hockey. Like a captain from one of the gold winning teams. Its too bad Larisa Lazutina had the doping allegations!

19. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Irina Rodnina?!

20. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The Protopopovs? You get one man and one woman. They're married so you get the romantic angle. And, of course, they changed the sport of figure skating.

21. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I thought about the Protopopovs, but didn't they give up their Russian citizenships?

ETA: They defected to Switzerland in 79.

22. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The Protopopovs have gone to Russia in recent years but that may not be "light the torch" worthy.

23. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

My personal choice would be the Protopopovs. If it is to be just one male from figure skating I think it should be Artur Dmetriev. My gut says it will not be someone from figure skating, but Plushy will be the flag bearer.

24. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

BBQ Bear sounds delicious. :D

25. lulu

lulu New Member

If a figure skater does light the Olympic torch, I'd love to see Irina Rodnina be given the honors. Besides Midori Ito in 1998, has any other figure skater lit the Olympic flame?

26. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

So far most posters have mentioned winter Olympians. I'm thinking it may be someone like Larisa Latynina. After all, until Michael Phelps came along, she was the most prolific medalist in Olympic history.

27. lulu

lulu New Member

I just sort of assumed that since it's the Winter Olympics they would have a winter Olympian do the honor, but if they open it up to any legendary Olympic figure, than Larisa Latynina would be a great choice as well. :)

28. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

plushenko will be flag bearer

i would think the torchlighter would be someone from skating

29. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

A figure skater lit the 1984 Olympic flame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanda_Dubravčić

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  30. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Well, obviously, it won't be anyone who is gay. Or anyone who "looks" to be gay. Or anyone who officials might suspect is gay. :rolleyes: