Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

This is from the IOC's Olympic Charter from Wikipedia

The IOC's role is to -

and

Seems pretty clear this persecution of gays in Russia would force the IOC to act?? :confused:

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

People are saying that any statement involving a positive thing about homosexuality is illegal and can get a person thrown in jail but they would have to show proof of that.

3. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Delete

4. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I fail to see how "proof" would be a problem here. Athletes get interviewed at the Olympics, right? They get filmed doing all bunch of stuff. What would happen if two athletes of the same sex reacted to a victory the way Charles Hamelin and Marianne St-Gelais did in 2010?

5. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Two unnecessary wars? I guess after 9/11 we should have just sang Kumbaya with Osama Bin Laden and just ignored the almost 3,000 people killed on that day.

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It all depends If a prosecutor felt that was propaganda and had the police arrest them? I don't know the details of what is propaganda toward youth in the law. If two same sex athletes kissed each other would a persecutor be "that's propaganda!"? If the law is written and then the police and prosecutorial directions are all so vague than anything could be or not be propaganda than it all comes down to the prosecutor or police person? I don't know if the law was inspired by public same sex kissing?

7. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Remember what happened to Johnny Weir after he and his husband spoke openly about gay marriage in Russia last November?

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  9. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

So you can kill as many people as you want? And was that the reason given for invasion of Iraq?

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Can you take this kind of debate to the Politically Incorrect forum, please? Thanks.

11. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Ditto; don't let this veer away from the real subject of this thread...Sochi and gay rights.

12. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Exactly. Although I do think DomShabs brings up some interesting points regarding where should we draw the line in terms of human rights abuses, the fact is that it's only being used to distract from the topic at-hand.

Russia's anti-gay laws are facially and explicitly discriminatory and goes against the spirit of the games. Not allowing LGBT people to gain equal rights is horrible, IMO, but criminalizing LGBT people for just existing (or if you want to be more generous, then criminalizing for acting out on their immutable behavior) is something even beyond an equal rights issue.

If the discussion regarding human rights abuses and Host countries should continue, I believe it should be in a different thread.

13. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Whole issue was political to begin with and should have been started in the political incorrect section.

nylynnr and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

If it bothers you, can always contact the FSU admins about it. (This is meant to be a sincere, not snarky, comment.)

ETA more quotes from Skjellerup:
    Source article: http://www.washingtonblade.com/2013/06/12/dangerous-time-in-russia-lgbt-news-gay/

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  15. dardar1126

Good for him! :cool: Be your own fierce self and show the bigots and homophobes that they will NOT win...as MLK Jr. said:

:respec:

16. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed

O, Snarky Sylvia, where art thou?

17. dots

dots Well-Known Member

That's the problem!

He'll have to tone it down. :p I doubt we'll see him walking down the street holding hands with his boyfriend.

Actually, I wonder if some of these "gay" athletes understand that they might witness acts of homophobia towards other people. I'm sure most of these people will be safe, but what if they witness a gay bashing? Given the current climate in Russia I would say it is very possible. How are they mentally preparing themselves for something like that?

18. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I expect most, if not all, gay people have had first hand experience with gay bashing.

19. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I bet that there will be some sort of podium-ceremony protest during the Sochi Olys. Maybe not by hockey players but...maybe in figure skating? When that happens, I hope that there will be no repercussions and that the person(s) choosing to protest is (are) treated with respect.

Alternately, a multi-athlete protest may happen during either the Opening or Closing Cerems, most likely the latter (medals already handed out; now time to get the heck outa Dodge City).

20. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I was taunted at school and will admit to breaking a few noses here and there... :kickass:

However, I have never seen someone getting gay bashed? I don't know how I would react to something like that.

21. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I think that this legislation won't affect the Sochi Olympics. Russia is going to want Sochi to go off well and they will not enforce this law without provocation at the Olympics.

And while gay rights are of particular concern to a lot of us here, as long as there is no harassment of gay athletes and visitors, this is a political issue like any other that comes up in regards to the country hosting the Olympics. There is no more or less reason for this one to be protested at the Olympics by athletes than the issues that concerned people regarding Beijing or SLC, for that matter.

22. dardar1126

I've never seem someone actually gay bashed...although my late gay roommate and a friend of his were once hit while they were waiting at a bus stop in San Francisco.

And a bus stop was where I (who am not gay), that same roommate and some other gay friends were involved in a homophobic verbal attack...also in San Francisco. We were waiting for the bus and just talking and being silly when this young Hispanic man began verbally abusing us and getting all up in my roomie's face. Now my friend Greg was short and slight of build, but he was a little bulldog, so he gave it right back to this much bigger guy. And, of course, I was madder than a wet hen! The Hispanic man's gf tried to rein him in before it went too far. Luckily the bus came and we were able to avoid a physical altercation. But I can tell you we were all shaken by the incident.

My friend had been verbally and physically assaulted all through his school years.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  23. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I don't know know how we're defining "bashing" but even if most gay people have experienced bashing either in the "mildest" or harshest sense, I don't think it would make it any less traumatic if they see it first-hand at the Olympics.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  24. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

Have read just a few last pages...While I agree with most of the statements, I believe Sochi will actually be the safest place for gays in Russia during Olympics. Because it will be seen and watched by the whole world. Try being gay, living with the partner 3000 km away from Sochi at that time. Anyone is welcome to Surgut.

And guys, are you serious about buying Russian made products? I don't but them, why would you :p

Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  25. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Wow.. that must be hell of a rough school!

Looks like the parliament is clearly dominated by ultra conservatives and the Orthodox Church. Sad to see a minority further disadvantaged by such law. Hopefully, as Russia progresses with a big middle class and her people more exposed internationally, they will be more accepting and respectful of differences, and the anti-gay law may be repealed some day. Meanwhile, it is certainly not safe to openly gay in Russia with these laws in place.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  26. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

Not quite. The Russian parliament is dominated by a bunch of sore losers that vote as they are told. If Putin tells them to vote pro-gay, they'll vote pro-gay. Even though there are several different "parties" represented there, they do not seem to have their own opinion on a single issue and all vote according to Putin's orders. It would have been funny if it wasn't so sad.

27. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

I know it's sad, but I am afraid I have to kill your hopes: most part of this so called "middle class", aged 30-40 are the core of the homophobic movement. They seriously believe there is a gay propaganda machine working on full power and that it should be stopped. While in reality there is no any kind of propaganda, there are mass media paying extra attention to the gay movement all over the world.

These people really believe that, for examples, scenes, like the one in Cloud Atlas, should be cut out of the movies, because they are insulting and not very pleasant to see. In this light, it is really surprising that the same people watch Game of Thrones and find Renly Baratheon and Loras Tyrell very pleasing characters.:rofl:

I remember one episode from the news broadcast here a couple of months ago when France was about to pass the law on same sex marriage: the broadcasters were very serious in calling Netherlands a country where homosexualism has won and they cited some horrible statistics saying that children from same sex couples have sexually transmitted diseases more often (!), such children more often commit suicide (!!), and, finally, such children are more often suffering from depressions (!!!).

I don't know about you, guys, but I don't have any illusions about the future now.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  28. dots

dots Well-Known Member

You gotta keep the faith alive man!

To be honest the truth is that none of us will probably get to experience "true" equality & acceptance. One hopes that the generations that will come after us will have it better. Social issues do evolve.

29. dardar1126

It didn't help that his adoptive parents were RW Christian homophobes! :rolleyes: They sent him to a therapist. They transferred him to a Christian school...where the abuse was even WORSE than in public school. :eek: His childhood was kind of hell-on-wheels. :(

30. dots

dots Well-Known Member

In San Francisco of all places.

Unfortunately it is all too common for gay kids to get taunted. Private & Christian schools are worse than public schools in that regard.

I'm kind of disappointed in Dave (especially him!!) and Jenny tbh. They should be all over this topic with the Olympic season approaching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.