Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I don't understand why there's a picture of Gracie Gold in this article. She isn't gay (She's got a little thing going on with one of the US men) and AFIAK hasn't done anything major to benefit the LGBT community (not that I would expect her to, just stating it). I hope this newspaper has rights to use her photograph in such an article??

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

In Russia.

You seemed to have missed Tahbka's post on a recent demonstration against the new anti-gay laws.

The pictures are generic skating pictures. Stop acting like it's some kind shame to be featured next to an article on gay rights. :rolleyes:

Maximillian and (deleted member) like this.
  3. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

^^ It's not a shame or anything, but what if she doesn't support gay rights. Obviously, I would assume she does. But, many people in the country don't and it'd be silly to assume that someone does. You can't really put someone in an article based on something that many oppose, without first getting permission.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

If that logic was to be followed, you wouldn't be able to put a picture next to any article because the person in the picture might oppose what is written there.

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Gold's photo was included among several in a feature about athletes that had done well that week. It happened to be imbedded in the middle of the article on Sochi. She wasn't even the featured photo: it was another athlete in another sport who was in the full-sized photo that looked like it was illustrating the article, not a separate feature, and you had to scroll through the small photos at the bottom to even find Gold, at least when the article was published. The captions made it clear that they were reporting on recent sports results.

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Within the article it has links to "you might also be interested in this" type stuff. It just so happens that these photos come off as a gallery of gay Olympians

7. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I am very interested in this topic. I have noticed 15 or so posts about Olympic villages and legacies, deficits, etc. so I have started a thread for this different topic for those who are interested. It seems there's a lot of you. Here's the thread title, just click on it to go to this separate topic: Olympic Cities - Legacies, Deficits...Do The Olympics Help Or Hurt Cities Which Host

To help this "Sochi Olympics will test gay rights" thread get back on topic, I'd like to address the comment about how gay rights deserves to be in a figure skating thread.

Russia has been in the news lately for many varying anti-gay actions. There have been too many stories to mention about how gay people and gay pride parades have been attacked and abused. Now imagine that you are an openly gay athlete...or a closeted athelete...or even an open, vocal ally. You will be competing in a country whose track record is certainly less than stellar, if not horrific, in how people who share your sexuality are treated. Might that make you concerned...nervous...agitated? If so, would that not make the competition unfair? To have to perform when you might have concern for your safety or well-being?

I believe all athletes should have the right to compete on an equal level. Until we get there, we should be discussing any and all topics that relate to this topic or any other when there is a possibility of an outside source having a negative affect on any of the athletes who have dreamed all their lives of competing at an Olympics.

alilou, skateboy, Maximillian and 3 others like this.
  8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Also, Johnny Weir's statement was linked in the first posting by this thread. That's why it's in the Great Skate Debate.

9. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I think this is perfectly suitable thread in the GSD. Human rights are a very important part of everything we do. They are basic values we have to respect and defend.

10. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Yes, you can. It's news. You can put any picture you want. That's the law in most places.

Exactly.

11. caseyedwards

A lot of these skaters competed in Moscow in 2011! There probably not going to be a big shift in who competed. And they weren't staying In a village but hotels in Moscow which means anyone who was gay there they was more in contact with people than they would Be in 2014. The new law proposals are just proposals but the ideology that would leas to the new laws would have existed in 2011.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

You can trust a Scandinavian person to say that. :)

13. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Well, techically, Finland is not part of Scandinavia:) But we share the same values.

14. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

From a thread in Trash Can:

I posted about this today on Twitter and Facebook. And I sent tweets of concern to @USFigureSkating, @USOlympic, @NBCOlympics, @Sochi2014 and Phil Hersh @olyphil.

Terrible law...terrible step back to the bad old days! How are gay athletes, coaches, staff, fans, tourists and those who love them supposed to feel safe there for the Winter Olympics in Sochi2014? :eek:

Even if one is not gay, it is conceivably possible that you could be fined, arrested and deported just for expressing support of gay people! :mad:

EDIT: Phil later tweeted about this...

EDIT2: Just received a message on Facebook that the Russian authorities have already banned Pride House at the Olympics. :angryfire

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Disgraceful. The days when gay men were jailed may be back--I recall my elementary school English teacher was arrested. I really thought this kind of backwards mentality died with the Soviet Union.

17. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

Sometimes I can't believe we're living in 2013. :mad:

So what happens if an athlete exhibits behavior that authorities consider "gay" during the games? Will they get arrested? Kicked out of the country?

18. dardar1126

From the article Phil Hersh tweeted about:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...h-antigay-law--by-436-votes-to-0-8654582.html

EDIT: And in case you think this sort of thing only happens in places like Russia or Uganda (where there's wide-spread support of a "Kill the Gays" bill which would mandate imprisonment for just being gay and in certain cases would call for the death penalty!)...

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/27/tennessee_dont_say_gay_bill_dies_again/

WEDNESDAY, MAR 27, 2013 10:33 AM CDT
    Tennessee &#8220;Don&#8217;t Say Gay&#8221; bill dies, again
    Lawmakers resurrected the failed anti-gay legislation, only to make it more extreme. It wasn't the best strategy

BY KATIE MCDONOUGH

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  19. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Well, what about no more skating or other international sports events taking place in Russia? The IOC should be weighing in on this and warning Russian authorities that they may lose out on hosting the Olympics if the safety and human rights of any athletes or spectators is endangered or even in threat of being endangered. Attention and exposure regarding this needs to happen right away.

20. dardar1126

I think all the sports federations, organizations, etc., have been tippy-toeing around this issue, waiting to see if the law would pass (although there's already been plenty of anti-gay violence in Russia recently). Now that it's on the verge of passing and being signed into law by Putin, it'll be interesting to see if any of the sports authorities have the guts to actually speak out again it and take a strong stand.

I'm not too hopeful that they will....

EDIT: Many of the countries with strong participation in winter Olympics (US, Canada, the Scandinavia countries, much of western Europe) also have strong policies regarding human rights, discrimination, etc. I would hope that all the federations and organizations would band together and speak with one voice against Russia's repressive law.

But of course this is about much more than sports....

21. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I doubt they will, after all, :bribe: talks. Look at FIFA; they awarded the World Cup to Qatar, a country of only 250,000 people, and whose human rights record makes Russia look downright liberal.

22. dardar1126

Too true...which is why I have such low expectations of any kind of strong push-back against Russia or the IOC.

23. aftershocks

^^ Yeah, I know, but strong stands should be taken both publicly and privately. If the Olympics does go ahead in Russia, hopefully the athletes will come together in a positive way to send a message symbolically. I don't know how or in what way, but something.

24. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Reading the articles about what is happening in Russia, one has to wonder, if an athlete who is known to be gay makes the Sochi Olympics, will the Russian government refuse to grant them a visa or detain them from entering the country?

25. dardar1126

I hope so, too. But they'd have to do it outside of Russia, because once this law passes (and it will pass because Putin wants it to pass) they would be subject to fines, arrests and deportations if they tried to take a stand or make a statement while in Russia.

I don't know if they could get away with banning a foreign athlete preemptively, but you can bet they'll be watching that athlete night and day while they are in Russia. :sekret:

26. aftershocks

I'm thinking more along the lines of wearing something or doing something symbolically during presentation ceremonies. If everyone or the majority came together in harmony for a subtle, symbolic but very meaningful gesture in support, I can't see how Putin and his thugs could round everyone up and jail them (i.e., for wearing something or for making a symbolic show of support during the medal ceremonies).

Has USFS made any statements about this issue?

27. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Is Brian Burke going to be part of the US Men's Hockey Team like he was in 2010? His late son was gay and he started a gay-acceptance initiative. A lot of NHL players are part of that organization. Maybe he can get the US players to do something (and hopefully, Canada would take part too). Of course, they might suck and not medal. So, go get the women to take part because we pretty much know who's gonna be gold or silver.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Qatar's population is 1.87 million not 0.25 million...

29. caseyedwards

Madonna spoke against the st petersberg law and nothing happened. Obviously the athletes are no madonnas but will be visitors and probably nothing will happen. They still have to define what propaganda is. From the articles it's not clear what counts as "corrupting" anyone. So it seems it's all still up in the air what violation of the law would be and what has gone on in st petersberg which has the law already.

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Gay New Zealand Winter Olympian Blake Skjellerup is confident security will be tight when he heads to an increasingly anti-gay Russia to compete next year. Article: http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publish/2/article_13476.php
    Excerpt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.