Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Why don't US and UK just host their own two-country "Olympics" since there are not many countries could satisfy them?;) And they won't satisfy them anytime soon.:p

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I can't bite my tongue any more. Your comments are just so offensive. You make light of a horrific situation. I truly hope one of your loved ones comes to you tomorrow and tells you they are gay. Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if you disowned them.

3. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I agree with Ozzisk8tr. The casual, flippant, careless manner in which you speak about this matter is quite disturbing. :(

4. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Pity them. How sad it must be to so emotionally disconnected.

5. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I second this. I don't want a boycott of the upcoming Olympics but other sports organizations could rethink future events to be hosted by Russia (and others with similar laws). The only way to this kind of hateful attitude toward a part of humanity is to hurt them financially.

6. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

The debate rages everywhere. I subscribe to Glamour magazine although I've really aged out of their demographic. What can I say, I like fashion. They ran a positive article on marriage equality two months ago and got very negative mail from subscribers who disagree.

The point is, if you live in the U.S., what with the Supreme Court decisions and more and more states voting or considering marriage equality, you can get a false picture of where the issue is worldwide -- or even here, where a substantial number of people are appalled by how far equality has progressed. And it's an open question as to whether more progress would be made by NOT awarding major sporting events to homophobic countries, or award them and allow the influx of more liberal-minded foreigners to influence the homegrown attitudes.

All indications are that the more societies which repress women are exposed to more liberal attitudes, the better they get. (See, Afghanistan. That war may have been useless in the long term from a security perspective but no-one can deny that the Taliban have been pushed back in terms of social consciousness of women's rights.) I don't give a shit if I sound like a culturally imperialistic Westerner, I think some rights are immutable and have nothing to do with cultural relativism. I'm perfectly OK with proselytizing by any means necessary.

So, there's a legitimate argument about what sends the best message.

7. dardar1126

8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'm dizzy with disappointment and resentment over this. I guess Russia should ban all works by Tchaikovsky, since he was "one of those".

9. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Those on the USA team who support gay rights should wear "We Support Gay Rights" buttons. Sex goes on in the Olympic Village (remember the brouhaha the year condoms were first provided). I wonder what will happen if a gay or lesbian couple are caught in the act.

10. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

The Sochi scandal is just beginning
    http://www.salon.com/2013/08/13/the_sochi_scandal_is_just_beginning/

11. lala

lala Well-Known Member

First of all i don't like the law.

But I have some questions:
    -What is the difference between the OG and the Athletic World Championships?
    -How many people were arrested in Moscow ?
    -How many people were deported in three-four days ?
    This is what I also don't like, when the people exaggerate.

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

Russia may be 1st Olympic host to ever threaten to jail Olympians
    http://americablog.com/2013/08/russia-safety-olympic-athletes-sochi-2014-gay.html

13. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

14. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Well the world athletic championships aren't over yet!

The prestige is different. Even if nothing goes wrong in the WAC the Olympics are much bigger.

15. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

But, that would be playing into Russia's hands. The IOC has rules that the Olympics cannot be used to express political agendas. If athletes do that, they get sanctioned by the IOC. Then Russia just sits back and lets the IOC do their dirty work. I don't think the IOC wants to penalize LGBT athletes, but if they protest or make political statements, the IOC would have no choice. It's a "no win" situation. I don't think anything would happen if two athletes were "caught in the act", in a private place. If they were "caught in the act" in a public place, who knows...

I think that, while I would want to make a point myself, it would be best for the athletes to just go and compete. Try not to engage the psychos enforcing these laws and not get themselves hurt or disqualified. Let the foreign media tell the story. I would even suggest that the media who are in Sochi be very careful with their reporting. Let the editorializing and protesting take place on US, Canadian, UK, etc. soil, where they cannot be hurt. If LGBT athletes, visitors, media are arrested or beaten, that would be awful.

16. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

17. cruisin

And we have to hope that the IOC does not allow Russia to promote their anti-gay propaganda. That any athlete that expresses hate toward a gay athlete, spectator, media person, is disqualified.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  18. dardar1126

http://www.timesofisrael.com/will-o...-games/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Will Olympics in Russia be a second ‘Nazi Games’?
    Rising anti-gay violence and repressive new laws are drawing comparisons between Sochi 2014 and Berlin 1936

By MATT LEBOVIC August 13, 2013, 5:54 pm

EDIT: via Twitter...

EDIT2:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=637977672892485&id=131776893512568

Official Gregory Louganis Fan Page

Excerpt:

19. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Is anyone actually excited about the Sochi Olympics at this point? All of this mess has certainly dampened my enthusiasm. I feel like a such a black cloud is hanging over the event.

20. lala

lala Well-Known Member

No one will hurt anybody in Moscow.

If I understand well, the law is not attacking the gays, but the gay propaganda. If you are an adult, you can do whatever you want in your bedroom, they do not care.
    And certainly they are very proud of Tchaikovsky, and the gay ballet dancers, etc..

"Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs (police): "The law is in apply in Russian Federation regardless. Nevertheless we'd like to clarify that the law is against persons who encourage minors to engage into non-traditional sexual relationships. The persons carrying out such activities will be liable in accordance with the laws of the Russian Federation .If homosexual athletes do not commit such acts towards children, then law enforcement cannot have any questions."

I understand the gays, who think they have similar rights than the heteros, but if they don't want fight for their rights in a foreign country,there will be nothing.

I don't defend the law, as I said, I don't like the exaggeration.

21. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

That seems like a slightly strange thing to say, since they're only threatening to jail those who violate the laws. Presumably any Olympic host city would do so. Of course I'm totally against this law as almost everyone here seems to be and wish that it didn't exist, and would be upset to see anyone jailed or otherwise in trouble for violating it.

22. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Should we understand that people causing or inciting children to engage in sexual relations, whether traditional or non-traditional, had never been punished in Russia under their criminal law before this new law was passed last June by the Russian Parliament?
    Btw, can anyone explain why homosexual relations were defined as non-traditional? Because the way I see it, homosexual relations are as much of a tradition among gay people as heterosexual relations are among straight people. Did the legislator perhaps want to avoid the words 'minority' and 'majority'?

No one will probably hurt anyone in Sochi either but do we have any guarantees no one will hurt anyone after Sochi? But I am no gay living in Russia, so perhaps I shouldn't care, it's none of my business after all. And if I run into scenes of violence on TV or the Internet against the gay Russians in their own country that go unpunished by the local authorities, I'm assuming I can go to bed with a clean conscience by saying to myself "Well, this is the Russian culture and I am supposed to respect the values of other nations. Good night, folks!''

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Proustable

Proustable New Member

lala, what is gay propaganda? What "encourages" minors into "non-traditional sexual relationships." What is defined as a "non-traditional sexual relationship?"

24. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

Olympic Sponsors Stand By Sochi Games As Criticism Of Anti-Gay Law Mounts
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/maxseddon/olympic-sponsors-stand-by-sochi-games-as-criticism-of-anti-g
    Coca-Cola and McDonalds condemned Russia’s new law banning public LGBT advocacy Tuesday. But they aren’t calling on Vladimir Putin’s government to repeal it before February’s Games.

25. dots

dots Well-Known Member

McDonalds is the devil! If there was ever a company to boycott... :shuffle:

26. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

27. Ozzisk8tr

The bold underlined part above says a lot about you. How wonderful to have so much love in your heart...

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  28. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

This thread is so close to being locked right? Time for sugar to start part 2!

29. cruisin

I'm not sure that Lala isn't dealing with a language barrier. Benefit of the doubt? Or am I being naive?

30. Ozzisk8tr

Naive in the absolute best way. Innocence is so cute, especially in the young. (Don't shatter my illusions and tell me you're over 22 now);)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.