Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2013/08/...ride-amid-protests-over-russias-anti-gay-law/

Thousands march at Glasgow Pride amid protests over Russia’s anti-gay law
    DAN LITTAUER | LGBTQ Nation
    Sunday, August 11, 2013

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwa...alflow&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=buzzfeed

Someone Painted The Crosswalk Outside The Russian Embassy In Stockholm Rainbow Colors
    Two weeks after protests that included topless woman jumping the Russian embassy fence, the crosswalk outside the building have been painted rainbow colors.
    posted on August 11, 2013 at 10:48am EDT
    Hunter Schwarz - BuzzFeed Staff
  2. dots

dots Well-Known Member

3. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Yes, it does, but why did they leave off................

Johnny should skate to Somewhere over the Rainbow and wear a rainbow outfit. Does he plan on going as a spectator if he doesn't make the team? I haven't heard anything lately about how his training is going.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  4. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

It's behind a paywall but Ha'aretz covered a noisy demonstration against the Russian embassy in Tel Aviv, too. Considering that Israel has the largest Russian émigré population by percentage of overall population of any country outside the former Federation, that's going to be interesting.
  5. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

If Johnny doesn't make the team, I hope he gets to do commentary for NBC, I wouldn't be surprised if he is denied a visa to enter Russia because he is gay though.
  6. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

There seems to be an assumption here that JW is training to make the Olympic team. I have heard nothing out of Hackensack to indicate that he is in serious training right now - and if he isn't in training now, then one might draw the conclusion that he is not aiming toward another Olympic opportunity. He may indeed be in Sochi but perhaps in another capacity.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  7. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I would imagine if Johnny was planning on competing this season, he would already be entered in some competitions as he needs to qualify for nationals, correct?
  8. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

The deadline to register for regionals and sectionals is Sept. 1, and the entries wouldn't be released until sometime after that.

Summer competitions would be good practice -- and probably necessary to get an international assignment -- but not part of the qualifying process itself.
  9. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

She does not work in Moscow, but lives in Czech republic... and she is the head Radio liberty, a US government funded radio station. The Gessen left Russia after the foreign agents law was passed, whereby any NGO or broadcaster receiving foreign money will have to register as a foreign agent. After Which, The whole Radio liberty was shifted to Prague...

When you have moved whole family to Prague, who does she expect Russia to snatch her children away ?, she should have said all of them in her article. I can't understand why Guardian decided to use Gessen, when they are other cases which they could have used.
  10. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

ROFL, an article in an israeli paper demanding to boycott the Sochi Olys. Unfortunately the author didn't name the list of the Israeli athletes who were supposed to participate....
  11. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Because all these are just propaganda against Russia. It is already propaganda against Russia, it's not for gays...
    And you can notice, no one dealt with this article here. It's similar to some Russian events.. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/07/opinion/an-attack-on-equality.html
  12. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Correct. The bottom line is hatred against the Russian Orthodox Christian Church, which some minorities (gays, Jews, etc.) see as the power behind the policies. This is a quandary for the Western media, who cannot totally report all details, lest it be seen as an anti-Christianity story. I'm hoping that it all dies down before the winter or it could get really ugly, unecessarily. We (western athletes, coaches & fans) are going to another country and culture; respect their preferences (religious, social, etc.) and JUST COMPETE.
  13. Nupraptor

Nupraptor New Member

14. dardar1126

http://www.towleroad.com/2013/08/former-nba-player-john-amaechi-calls-on-sochi-olympians-to-use-podium-as-a-soap-box.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=spreadtwitter&utm_content=%3C$MTEntryPermalink$%3E

08/12/2013
    FORMER NBA PLAYER JOHN AMAECHI CALLS ON SOCHI OLYMPIANS TO 'USE PODIUM AS A SOAP BOX'
    BY SEAN MANDELL

http://prospect.org/article/stickin...sian-lgbt-activists-what-will-make-difference

Sticking It to Sochi: Russian LGBT Activists on What Works
    NANCY GOLDSTEIN AUGUST 12, 2013
    Appeasement and rainbow pins won't stop Putin's witch hunt

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/08/1...s-we-do-things-that-hurt-the-russian-economy/

Exclusive: Brian Paddick: ‘Putin can ignore us unless we do things that hurt the Russian economy’
    by Scott Roberts
    12 August 2013, 1:24pm
  15. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Indeed ^_^,

I do get it though, Tel aviv is very diverse with lots of gays and russians among others, They just wanted to make some noise .

Lots of my friends went, Sadly i had to work,

I do try and encourage them to protest as opposed to boycott, Seeing they know how it feels when people try to boycott you ...
  16. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

Actually, when I originally posted the article I did point out that a difference is that in the U.S. there will actually be a criminal investigation and if the perpetrators are found, they will be charged with hate crimes. It wasn't always so in this country, but significant strides have been made over the past 50 years to provide a better foundation for justice. In contrast, Russia has just implemented laws that go in the opposite direction, and clearly make the LGBT community less than full citizens.

This is not propaganda against Russia, it's an outcry against a Russian law and the atmosphere for the LGBT community in Russia. Russia is in many ways a magnificent country, but unfortunately not for the LGBT community (or for justice as a whole, either).
  17. dardar1126

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/w...d-no-haven-despite-support-from-the-west.html

Gays in Russia Find No Haven, Despite Support From the West
    By DAVID M. HERSZENHORN
    Published: August 11, 2013

Excerpt:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/08/1...ill-be-enforced-during-sochi-winter-olympics/

Russia confirms that anti-gay laws will be enforced during Sochi Winter Olympics

by Joseph Patrick McCormick
    12 August 2013, 4:34pm

Excerpt:

EDIT:

Nobody seems to be on the same page...too many contradicting messages...via Twitter...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  18. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Both of those come from the same source! They are saying there will be no discrimination because the law doesn't discriminate.
  19. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

BittyBug already addressed this issue and I agree that the two situations are hardly comparable. Also, Russia is hosting the Olympics, which means that they are in the spotlight more so than other countries, even ones where things are very bad for LGBT people, such as Jamaica and many African and Middle Eastern countries.

But since you are very concerned about the USA being just the same, let me tell you about my own, limited experience with homophobic legislation. In 1992, I was a teenager living in Oregon when Measure 9 went on the ballot during that year's election. Measure 9 was hateful, and was similar in many ways to the law that was passed in Russia more recently. I was certainly in no position to vote on it, being neither American nor old enough, but I can tell you that I was very happy when it was defeated, as were quite a few of my friends. We may not have had gay friends yet, or at least, none that we knew of, but we knew that gay people deserved fairness and equal rights.

This was over twenty years ago. Oregon survived unscathed. No straight kids were tempted to become gay. I'd like to think that today this measure would have been defeated far more resoundingly, and I hope that Oregon will soon join the states that have legalized marriage equality.

Russia's law is worse than the ballot measure that was defeated easily more than two decades ago. People need to stop defending this legislation and to stop making excuses for it, and to realize that if you love Russia, you should want it to be better, not more bigoted and oppressive. And yes, the US has its own issues with gay rights, and there is still anti-gay violence and bullying. The difference is that in the US, these are seen as things to eradicate, not encourage. The murderers of Brandon Teena and Matthew Shepard, to name two famous cases, were brought to justice. Politicians, sports stars and celebrities make videos against bullying. Does Russia care about the victims of anti-gay violence? Does it care about the well-being of LGBT kids? It doesn't look like it does.

20. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Thank-you. Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln, the amount of playing down, straw men and other digressive attacks in this debate is ridiculous.
  21. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Word.
  22. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Oh dear!

Anti-Russian propaganda?? So now we are the bad guys for speaking out against bigotry. :lol:

Make noise people! Make more noise!
  23. dots

dots Well-Known Member

24. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

So, are they admitting that gay athletes, spectators, and media who do something that calls attention to the fact that they are gay will be at risk? Can the nations/teams send their own security people? I don't think that Russia will do anything to anyone having to do with the Olympics. I think there will be way too much attention. But, what about visitors?
  25. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

How does Dont ask, Dont tell work when some of the athletes are already publically out? They can't exactly go back years and stay in the closet. And honestly I think many straight men's skaters are at risk. I mean most Americans, even those who are tolerant and supportive of gays, assume all figure skaters are gay. The men are all going to have to skate in blue jeans and loose fitting crew neck t shirts ("look straight" as if that is a thing...) to prevent assumptions from bigots.
  26. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Will the judging of Men's skating be influenced by how gay or un-gay they are perceived to skate or be? Will the judging be even more political than ever?

I'm concerned about the safety of the skaters, officials, and spectators. I'm also concerned about the influence this will have on the judging.
  27. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I'm concerned with the one or two (actually three) people on this thread who think every other person on this thread is wrong and we are just picking on Russia.
  28. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I don't think it will have any effect on the judging, unless all of the judges are Russians who feel compelled to uphold the law. Which is not likely to happen.

(but I'm sure there will be other :bribe: :sekret: non-skating related factors that will influence the judging)
  29. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

So, business as usual. I don't think it will effect judging either. However, it may effect performance.
  30. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Although it appears that calls for a boycott of the Olympics aren't going anywhere, it is not too late for FIFA to re-think its decision to let Russia host the 2018 World Cup or Qatar, which makes homosexual acts punishable by up to five years in prison, host the 2022 World Cup.
  31. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Why don't US and UK just host their own two-country "Olympics" since there are not many countries could satisfy them?;) And they won't satisfy them anytime soon.:p
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  32. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I can't bite my tongue any more. Your comments are just so offensive. You make light of a horrific situation. I truly hope one of your loved ones comes to you tomorrow and tells you they are gay. Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if you disowned them.
  33. dardar1126

I agree with Ozzisk8tr. The casual, flippant, careless manner in which you speak about this matter is quite disturbing. :(
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  34. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Pity them. How sad it must be to so emotionally disconnected.
  35. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I second this. I don't want a boycott of the upcoming Olympics but other sports organizations could rethink future events to be hosted by Russia (and others with similar laws). The only way to this kind of hateful attitude toward a part of humanity is to hurt them financially.
  36. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

The debate rages everywhere. I subscribe to Glamour magazine although I've really aged out of their demographic. What can I say, I like fashion. They ran a positive article on marriage equality two months ago and got very negative mail from subscribers who disagree.

The point is, if you live in the U.S., what with the Supreme Court decisions and more and more states voting or considering marriage equality, you can get a false picture of where the issue is worldwide -- or even here, where a substantial number of people are appalled by how far equality has progressed. And it's an open question as to whether more progress would be made by NOT awarding major sporting events to homophobic countries, or award them and allow the influx of more liberal-minded foreigners to influence the homegrown attitudes.

All indications are that the more societies which repress women are exposed to more liberal attitudes, the better they get. (See, Afghanistan. That war may have been useless in the long term from a security perspective but no-one can deny that the Taliban have been pushed back in terms of social consciousness of women's rights.) I don't give a shit if I sound like a culturally imperialistic Westerner, I think some rights are immutable and have nothing to do with cultural relativism. I'm perfectly OK with proselytizing by any means necessary.

So, there's a legitimate argument about what sends the best message.
  37. dardar1126

38. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'm dizzy with disappointment and resentment over this. I guess Russia should ban all works by Tchaikovsky, since he was "one of those".
  39. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Those on the USA team who support gay rights should wear "We Support Gay Rights" buttons. Sex goes on in the Olympic Village (remember the brouhaha the year condoms were first provided). I wonder what will happen if a gay or lesbian couple are caught in the act.
  40. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

The Sochi scandal is just beginning
    http://www.salon.com/2013/08/13/the_sochi_scandal_is_just_beginning/
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.