Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Two Lenin busts and one Hammer and Sickle do not make that fluff piece full of Communist/Soviet images. Truthfully it had more Tsarist images, I know I saw the Hermitage/Winter Palace, and possibly the Church on Spilt Blood also.

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Like czarist imagery is loaded like communist imagery

In addition to the video You still had all the comments during the broadcasts that would lead writer after writer to declare NBC was trying to create an Ivan Drago figure. The issue is not even plushenko I mentioned coverage of "nasty brat" mustafina which echoed coverage of " uber diva " khorkina and also the talk about b/s in 2002.

3. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

4. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

Oh, please. :rolleyes: So any criticism of actions taken by the Russian government is part of an anti-Russian ideology on the part of USA? They can do no wrong worth criticizing? :wall: You are truly a tool. And possibly a homophobic tool at that.

5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Well, if there were that many writers "declaring" that, maybe you could link to a few of those too.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I think caseyedwards is making two claims: one is that US coverage of Russian athletes and Olympians often paints them in a very unflattering way and relies too much on recycled cold-war framing. This is true in some cases - certainly it has been at times in Plushenko's case, though he seemed to enjoy playing along - and there was a lot of anti-Plushenko sentiment in the weeks leading up to the Vancouver Olympics, including, BTW, from Speedy.

Her second argument seems to be that any on-air criticism of Russia's current anti-gay policies would be motivated by hatred for the Russian people, and with this, I very strongly disagree. The current treatment of LGBT people in Russia is disgusting and would deserve condemnation if it were happening elsewhere, too. Things are actually worse in some countries, but not in any that are hosting the Olympics or will do so in the foreseeable future.

7. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

The Nazi Olympics and the Putin Olympics
    http://www.seattlepi.com/local/connelly/article/The-Nazi-Olympics-and-the-Putin-Olympics-4704294.php

8. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

The world, or most of it, has regretted its collaboration with Hitler's Olympics for 80 years. Despite Jesse Owens the participation in that propaganda fest legitimized the Nazi regime and its vehement anti-Semitism.

I think a boycott by the athletes should be considered. Its a human right issue, and treating it that way might also aid the democratic opposition on Russia.

9. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Then China should have been boycotted as well in 2008. The human rights violations in that country make Russia pale in comparison.

10. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Except that China in anticipation of Olys actually improved its treatment of dissidents. So that might have been cynical and short lived but it sent the message that the Olys represent the best of international humane values.

When Russia does this six months prior to its Olympics it is basically thumbing its nose at the West and liberal values. Fine. Consider thumbing back.

11. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Thank you PRlady.

12. dardar1126

http://www.towleroad.com/2013/08/travel-icon-arthur-frommer-condemns-russias-anti-gay-law-tells-tourism-travelers-to-take-action.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=spreadtwitter&utm_content=%3C$MTEntryPermalink$%3E

08/03/2013

TRAVEL ICON ARTHUR FROMMER CONDEMNS RUSSIA'S ANTI-GAY LAW, TELLS TOURISM INDUSTRY TO TAKE ACTION

BY ANDY TOWLE

Excerpt:

13. jtpc

jtpc Active Member

Today is the International Day of Protest against Russia's anti-gay laws. There is a rally in Toronto tonight at 7:30 pm, starting at Church & Wellesley and ending at the Russian consulate at Church & Bloor. Join us if you're in Toronto or the Greater Toronto Area!

https://www.facebook.com/events/577129392337409/

14. dardar1126

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162...lans-to-defy-anti-gay-russian-laws/?tag=socsh

By BRIAN MONTOPOLI / CBS NEWS/ August 1, 2013, 11:27 AM

Gay Olympic hopeful plans to defy anti-gay Russian laws

HTTP://WWW.BLAKESKJELLERUP.COM

Excerpt:

15. dardar1126

And this from Vancouver...via Twitter:

Excerpt:

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

A call for journalists to cover the issue vigorously and something for the athletes to wear in support of equality, although not specifically defined:

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/connelly/article/The-Nazi-Olympics-and-the-Putin-Olympics-4704294.php

17. caseyedwards

The law is wrong and because of NBCs coverage of Russia and Russians before in the Olympics they will likely be very aggressive in covering it during the olympics. Maybe they would do it If it was another country but people are saying NBC will whitewash and never mention anything human rights oriented during the coverage but the coverage of Russia and Russian athletes has always been pretty brutal! Russia and russian athletes have been treated differently by NBC than other countries. I don't see how its homophobic to point this out? It's not like the law is right and NBC will unjustifiably say it is bad because of hatred of Russians it will point out it's bad because it's coverage of Russians and Russia during the Olympics has always been sharp and antagonistic but you could argue rightfully antagonistic too.

Another example
    http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2010/02/the_madness_and_pain_of_the_me.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elise-crane/nbc-olympics-coverage-dra_b_467839.html

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  18. caseyedwards

The point is that NBC never in any way is flattering about Russia or Russian athletes and there's no reason to think it won't be aggressive in covering the gay propaganda law and seeks to be an infomercial for Russia and whitewash and be propaganda for Russia. It never is! Whatever the reason. I said before it could be to create more drama. Here is drama they don even have to create and they will use it that's just the way they cover the county and it's athletes.

19. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

Well, I appreciate your specifying that you think the law is bad and I take back the homophobia language, which was obviously unwarranted. That said, I think your tendency to dismiss criticism of Russia as routine Russia-bashing is somewhat over the top.

20. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

What is happening in Russia has been all over CNN and ABC, both have done stories and spoke to gay athletes hoping to compete in Sochi about their opinions on boycotting the games. It would be nice though if an athlete who is straight or not "out" would comment as well.

http://newsroom.blogs.cnn.com/2013/08/03/olympians-jeer-russias-anti-gay-law/

Olympians jeer Russia's anti-gay law
    newsroom.blogs.cnn.com
    CNN's Victor Blackwell and Brianna Keilar talk with Olympic athletes Johnny Weir and Blake Skjellerup about Russia's anti-gay law....

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/russia-warns-gay-athletes-competing-2014-winter-games-19846277

Video: Russia Warns Gay Athletes at Olympics Could Be Arrested
    Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko says athletes will be arrested if they violate anti-gay laws.

21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what to think about all this. Russia wants to regain the position of authority in the world the old USSR had but it has a long way to go. At the same time the government is doing what authoritarian governments all over the world do in order to solidify their hold on to power, and that is to implement popularous policies in order to play up to the lowest common denominator in society. However these policies do not necessarily play well internationally and damage their reputation internationally. The worse thing for Russia is for an athlete to actually get arrested. The resulting uproar will be a PR nightmare for them.

22. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/02/sports/olympics/new-russian-law-stirs-olympic-controversy.html?src=recg

What does it mean to "advocate" I wonder?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  23. overedge

It's not homophobic. But it's wrong. Pretty much any sports broadcaster going outside its own country relies on stereotypes of the host country, or of the competitors.

And as for your links - there are all the "writers" that called NBC anti-Russian? - the first one is a sarcastic commentary, and the second link doesn't work.

24. dardar1126

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/08/0...-russias-treatment-of-gay-people-is-horrific/

Olympic Gold medalist Matthew Mitcham: Russia&#8217;s treatment of gay people is horrific
    by James Park
    3 August 2013, 7:16pm

Excerpt:

25. caseyedwards

Lol you ask I give a link a you say no. Whatever. Two more writers who characterize NBC one way is not enough? There are no articles like this for any other countries athletes at all. I am now up to three writers how many do you want 20?

The point is still NBC will not whitewash Russia as it doesn't even treat the athletes like it does other countries.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I completely disagree. Jesse Owens winning four gold medals and raining on Hitler's parade is what the Berlin Olympics is remembered for. That wouldn't have happened if there had been a boycott and it sent a much stronger message.

A boycott of the Berlin Olympics would not have stopped the holocaust or World War 2. The US boycott of the Moscow Olympics did not stop the war in Afghanistan and the Soviet boycott of the 1984 Olympics didn't achieve whatever it was supposed to do either.

Unfortunately, change in Russia's laws and attitudes on homosexuality is not going to come from external pressure. It's going to have to come from within.

euterpe and (deleted member) like this.
  27. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

And, frankly, it's easy to protest in Toronto or Vancouver or the US. Makes you feel good. Yet, what will be the impact on gays living in Russia? While you (generic you) are making yourself feel good, what are your actions doing to those who will be impacted? I've noticed Farfaraway hasn't posted recently. I'm much more concerned about him than Johnny Weir's feelings. I don't think there is any chance the US will not send its athletes to Sochi. If an individual athlete opts to stay home for a personal protest, that's their business, but it's totally wrong for a few people to make a decision for others who've trained years for this opportunity. If it means they can't go looking for a gay bar in Sochi, I suspect it is something most would be willing to forego. It won't impact their event or performance. Personally, if I had to wait until I got back home to kiss my SO in public, I think I could make the sacrifice. I agree with Allezfred. This is up to the Russian people to make changes. Outside government intervention will only cause anger and protest. Nobody likes outsiders telling them what to do. It could make the situation much more dangerous for the people who live in Russia; not those who'd be there for 4-5 days and then go home. Support the Russian people yes, but they have to make the cultural paradigm shift required. It seems many are worried about athlete's being able to party more than them being able to compete. The party is bonus, but it's not the reason they are there. They can party at home.

28. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Whatever your sexuality, attend at your own peril. There is going to be trouble.

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  29. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

30. overedge

No. You were the one who said there were "many" writers. Two or three does not prove that there was a definite trend in the coverage of Russian athletes.

Why don't you look at some of the coverage of some of the Middle Eastern countries in the context of the women athletes on (or not on) their Olympic teams. Or American track&field writers writing about African runners. It's not that hard to find other examples, unless of course you are bent on proving a case of the US being meeeeannnn to a specific country :rolleyes:

And you have still not shown anything to prove that NBC is better or worse at this in its coverage of Russia compared to any other country it covers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.