Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

If the Russian people think Pedophiles and Gay people are the same....well, lots of work to be done there. Perhaps the law is also anti-science? OR anti-art?

Back to the Games. I hope gay athletes, coaches, judges, officials are chosen to go to the Olympics, and aren't kept home in their native countries due to fear. I hope all that go will be safe, and be welcome. I hope the gay athletes will be treated fairly in their competition- not disqualified (in timed events) or scored low because they are gay. (in subjective events)

I hope for non violence.

However, if a large number of athletes choose to show solidarity with their team mates by wearing rainbow scarves or hats in the Closing Ceremony- I hope that that could occur peacefully.

2. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

The following is my personal opinion only. I hope Russia is so overwhelmingly globally embarrassed by this. I know if I was a Russian I would be so very ashamed of my country for taking such huge steps backwards. In saying that I totally disagree with a boycott as the athletes who have trained their whole life for this event may miss out due to politics. In 50 years time nobody remembers about the boycott, they just remember who won the medals. For those on this thread who are trying to defend this absolutely disgraceful law, shame on you.

UMBS Go Blue, alilou, Finnice and 3 others like this.
  3. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Really? I recall the 1980 boycott, but not who won medals. I recall the 1984 boycott, but the only medal winner I remember is Retton.

But the boycott didn't resolve anything and I'm not for one in 2014.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  4. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

I'm not steeped in Russian history or culture, but I found this statistic here (and on many other sites): http://en.gazeta.ru/news/2012/04/19/a_4556649.shtml
    I find it ironic that one of Russia's greatest and most loved composers (Tchaikovsky) was well-known to be gay. Also--Russians greatly value their ballet, and in N. America, ballet guys are often perceived as gay.

I'm also a bit puzzled why many people celebrate the Pope's recent comments as "liberal" (for the Catholic church) and simultaneously condemn Russia's law. To me, they both say the same thing--being gay is not wrong; however, homosexual actions (for example, marriage, sex) are wrong.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  5. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes. And I remember to my friend, who was unable to attend the Oly Games.

I hope the Russians will soon change the law. :(

6. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

7. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

VarBar, I tried to search for journal articles to answer our queries, and found THIS journal article written by the late Russian sexologist Igor Kon - "Homophobia as a litmus test of Russian Democracy", Sociological Research, vol. 48, no. 2, March–April 2009, pp. 43–64, interesting and illuminating. Fascinating that his article was prophetic as it was written in 2009 and he died in 2011 so he did not live to the see the adoption of the current discriminatory law.

Thanks altai rose. It is interesting that 'they have not seen it but still support the ban'.

8. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

HRC slams Sochi assurances following new statement out of Russia
    http://www.metroweekly.com/news/las...sochi-assurances-following-new-statement.html

9. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

In this particular case - the new law - on the one hand you don't want to break the laws of a country that hosts you and on the other you can't act like everything's alright. It's a delicate matter and I can't claim I have the right answer. I personally am not in favour of a boycott at this point though, I don't think it would do anyone any good.

Thank you, spiky. :respec:

10. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...id=rss1&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Baird denounces Russia’s ‘hateful’ anti-gay law, says Canada has been pushing back
    MIKE BLANCHFIELD
    OTTAWA — The Canadian Press
    Published Thursday, Aug. 01 2013, 3:11 PM EDT
    Last updated Thursday, Aug. 01 2013, 3:14 PM EDT

Excerpt:

EDIT:

http://americablog.com/2013/08/us-senator-blasts-russian-threat-against-gay-olympic-athletes.html

US Senator blasts “outrageous” Russian threat against gay Olympic athletes
    8/1/2013 4:08pm by John Aravosis

Excerpt:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

12. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Harvey Fierstein tweeted "How do we stop a modern-day Adolf Hitler? lgbtqnation.com/2013/07/how-do… via @lgbtqnation - Another view. Johnny Weir's self absorption is chilling."

13. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

((sigh)) I really can't understand why no one is asking other Olympic hopefuls if they favor a boycott? Some of the comments I am reading make it sound like it's Johnny's decision if the USA boycotts or not just because he one of the few out athletes. I really would love to see someone stick a microphone under Evan's nose or any of the skiers or bobsledders and ask them if they are willing to boycott.

For the record, a pro-gay group in Russia has said it is against a boycott, instead organizing a Sochi pride to happen during the games and Johnny has been asked and agreed to participate.

14. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Funny- I mostly see Blake Skjellerup quoted in articles...but Johnny is catching up.

15. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

With Russian vodka already being targeted, it would be interesting if a movement started around previous companies that have advertised with the Olympics. And if that movement started asking all of these potential advertisers whether they will or will not advertise their products during the 2014 Olympics if the Russian anti-gay laws remain on the books.

What is wrong with protesting?

Do you think you have it in you to make a point...rather than a personal attack?

16. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

The quote from John Aravosis has him describing what is going on in Russia as an official pogrom. I have not heard that gays are being massacred in Russia. I am not minimizing the situation for gays and lesbians in Russia, but I think people should be more careful with the language they use.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  17. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

Doesn't the exposure of the Olympics also have a bigger implication for international travel to Russia?

Forget being protected in the Olympic village, will Johnny Weir be able to visit for say, COR? Or visit his friends? What if he visits with his husband during a tour and they room together? The way the law is written, he could be subject to arrest.

18. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny has said he is willing to be arrested if he goes to Russia, he was invited to a skate in a show in October and he knows the risk involved should he be granted a visa. The last paragraph from Johnny's blog:

I have been invited to perform in Saint Petersburg, Russia, birthplace of the anti-gay propaganda movement, and with luck on my side, I will be there come October. I am far too passionate about supporting the community on the ground rather than to watch from the sidelines and do nothing aside from drinking Swedish or Polish vodka instead of Russian. I will perform in a country who’s government would prefer having me in prison than entertaining her population, because I support the population and not the government. Should anything happen to me, please notify my mother and my husband.

19. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

Good questions.

I'm wondering how the press will deal with the law. Will athletes be arrested if they thank their same sex partner (or same sex parents) for their support in the same way that athletes have often thanked their families and support networks? Will the interviewers or media companies be prosecuted for allowing the topics to come up? Will they be restricted from any acknowledgement that gays exist in their reporting? The law is awfully vague.

I'd like to see NBC and others covering the Olympics pledge not to censor their reporting. Maybe even that pledge to the audience would fall afoul of the law. And when does the law apply? Does it apply only to broadcasts inside Russia? Only while the people involved are physically in Russia? I don't see how interviews conducted before and after the games outside of Russia could be restricted. I assume NBC's contract is with the IOC, and not subject to the law (at least outside of Russia).

20. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I can't link to it because I'm on my phone, but ABC national news covered this tonight and interviewed Johnny. This is actually an international human rights issue, it's going to attract more attention and I expect skating to be the media bullseye.

21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

No need to target past advertisers. Here's a list of all the corporate sponsors/partners for Sochi. Thanks, Sochi organizing committee! :p

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/team/partners/

22. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Damn! Coke is my guilty pleasure! :fragile:

Actually it wouldn't be such a bad idea to start boycotting McDonald's and Coca-Cola products. Plus both are extremely unhealthy foods. It's a win win!

23. dardar1126

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  24. misskarne

misskarne #408

Good luck getting the NBC to do anything pro-gay rights. They absolutely freaked when Matthew Mitcham ran up into the crowd to kiss his partner in Beijing and cut his partner out of all the shots of every interview afterwards, too.

25. mossop

mossop New Member

Poor Johnny.

26. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

Make Russia feel the shame
    http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/08/02/john-moore-make-russia-feel-the-shame/

27. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

Why we should boycott the Sochi Games
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/opinion/Opinion should boycott Sochi Games/8739144/story.html

28. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

There are many avenues to oppose and protest the anti-gay laws in Russia. I don't see the reason to focus on the Olympics. A boycott would create a situation where the focus was no longer on the anti-gay laws but geopolitics as a whole. We've seen that Olympic boycotts don't have the intended effect. The goal becomes lost in the international politics.

I think the idea of asking the IOC to set up a Pride house is a good one. In this way the circumstances are not ignored and gay athletes and visitors can feel they are supported and have a safe space.

SkateFan66 and (deleted member) like this.
  29. misskarne

misskarne #408

There is some talk of a boycott of sponsors for the Formula One race to be held in Sochi in October, as well. Not that Bernie Ecclestone gives two hoots about human rights, so the race will go ahead, but some of the sponsors are less than happy about it.

30. dardar1126

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/08/0...etes-attending-the-winter-olympics-in-russia/

US Senator Edward Markey: I am very concerned for LGBT athletes attending the Winter Olympics in Russia
    by Scott Roberts
    2 August 2013, 12:22pm

Excerpt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.