Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Basically lala is minimizing the very real issues this brings up by saying any sort of negative press is attributable to holdover animosity towards Russia from the Cold War. I mean I do think that does play a part in some way. NBC fluff pieces and whatnot are alway playing up the Soviet history and playing with old Cold War narratives. Just look at how they portrayed the Russian gymnastics team. That said, lala has chosen to ignore almost every point made regarding the anti-gay laws to the point where she's pretending they aren't a big deal.

2. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I'm wondering if she feels they aren't in fact a big deal, and if the fuss people are making is entirely attributable to said press.

3. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I just don't understand what needs to happen for some people to turn a corner? I mean are the pictures, videos, and horror stories coming out of there not enough?

What exactly needs to happen for someone to admit that it's indeed a scary situation? :confused:

4. Eyre

Eyre New Member

I could easily find equally, if not more, brutal examples from US. This is just pot calling kettle black.;)

5. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Because the US government is never criticized for their anti-gay policies on FSU.

Also, why do some posters think everyone is American?

6. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Ok, change the word. I could easily find horrible things from any countries. Your country maybe no better than theirs. Is gay issue the most important issue?

7. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

And guess what? Plenty of Canadians would've supported a boycott of 2010 if the Canadian govt enacted such extreme anti-gay laws (the fact that you seem to equate anything remotely homophobic as being equivalent to Putin's law is telling about how you truly feel about the law). Have you met overedge (love ya!)?

8. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Right now people with all the info are saying anything going on should not effect Sochi. They are condemning and criticizing and that's being done.

9. Eyre

Eyre New Member

What about overedge? Canada will never have such law. If indeed it had, or US had, I'd say the same thing. How do you know that there is no people supporting boycott Sochi game in Russia?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  10. dots

dots Well-Known Member

... because gay issues and Sochi Olympics are the topic of discussion. Why would we think this is not an important issue? This is what the thread is about.

Russia is hosting the Olympics, the biggest spectacle on the planet, and indirectly is shedding light on the poor treatment of LGBT people in Russia.

It's an important topic worth discussing.

11. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Does it have to be the most important issue to still matter?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Don't worry Eyre. The Olympics will happen and Patrick Chan can still win his gold medal.

13. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

What has the boycott of Sochi Olympics got to do with Patrick Chan or other skaters and gold medals just because Eyre doesn't seem to support the boycott?

I am sure most of our lives do not revolve around skaters although we post in skating forums?

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I think the question is a legitimate one since there is the suggestion of supporting a boycott, as there were no boycotts in other countries with serious human rights violations that escalated after the Games were awarded. It's also legitimate to ask whether the boycott will accomplish more than it hurts, and whether it is an appropriate response, because even gay athletes aren't unanimous that it's the way to go.

Perhaps it would be more effective if every athlete simultaneously ripped off his or her jacket at the opening ceremony during the Olympic oath to reveal a glittering rainbow shirt, so that Russia would have to arrest every athlete and coach who marched.

15. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

To what end Kwanfan? Foreign athletes can not change Russian laws, they'd be arrested and dealt with, and the law with still be there. Russians need to be the ones up in arms about this.

16. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

But there has been discussion of boycotts after a country commits some heinous human rights infractions. Such discussion caused a young girl in China to cry in her pillow. Not much different now. It's not like anyone truly believes there will be any large-scale boycotts in Sochi.

One example:

http://boycottvancouver2010.blogspot.ca/

17. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Would the Russian police arrest every last athlete at the opening ceremonies? That would take the oomph out of their Olympic Games. It certainly would show support for GLBT communities worldwide, like Danes of all religions wearing the yellow Star of David.

19. Eyre

Eyre New Member

This is the answer:D :

The point is that you could always find something irritating in every country. Different people will find different things that they think matter the most. Will you boycott every Olympics? What did US and China gain or accomplish the last time they boycotted Moscow game? However, I'm sure if Russia started the world war III, that will be a good reason to boycott the Olympics in Russia and most of the countries around the world will do so.

Exactly! It's only one of the hobbies for most of us, certainly for me. We do not live and breathe for it.

20. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

There were calls for a boycott of the 1968 Games and I think a small number of athletes did boycott. And then of course there were Tommie Smith and and John Carlos who went and did this. That is a powerful image, and I think if some athletes can come up with a protest that striking in Sochi, it could be no less effective. But it has to be said that the three men on the podium paid a price for their protest later on.

I'm aware that they were not protesting issues related to the organizers of those Olympics, but rather racism in sports and in various countries.

21. Angelskates

So it would be a "I came to this country but I don't intend to obey the laws I don't like?" Where does that end?

I have no idea if they would arrest every last athlete at the opening ceremony. I don't agree with the law here, but Russia has the right to make their own laws. Every athlete could not only be arrested, but also disciplined by their own Olympics committee, which makes athletes sign an agreement stating they will obey the laws of the country etc. Athletes on sponsorship deals could also lose them. If someone isn't willing to obey the law, I would rather them boycott, but I don't think a boycott would make any difference to the law. If they choose to go and break the law, then they won't get my sympathy.

22. fscric

fscric Active Member

Why is Patrick Chan mentioned? Just because Eyre is a fan of Patrick and she takes a different stand from others, it automatically means she wants the Olympics to go ahead just to allow Patrick to get the gold? By that token, do lala and misskarne both want Patrick to get the gold? I know this is a touchy subject, but please leave the posters' favourite skaters out of the discussion.

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It would be "I came to this country and am breaking a law in protest of a human rights violation" like a protest against Nazi discrimination or slavery or human trafficking, etc.

I don't think it would happen, even among the athletes of the Winter Olympics countries, which skew Nordic and more socially liberal than the much wider range of countries in the Summer Olympics.

24. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Yeah, say a female athlete wins a gold medal and kisses her partner, how dare she break the law. No sympathy.

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Angelskates

It's a human right to be able to kiss in public? What is the human right being violated? I disagree with the law, but don't agree with people going to a country knowing they will deliberately break the law there.

Many countries have laws against the public showing of affection; others also have laws against homosexuality. The “propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations” law is not saying people will be arrested for being gay. It's not illegal to be gay in Russia. Though it is in many other places, and public kissing can get you a jail term in several countries. When China was given the Olympics, it still had homosexuality on the official list of mental illnesses (it was only removed in 2001, even though homosexuality was legalised in 1997).

People who plan to make their statements against this law by using the Olympics as their platform will be doing more harm than good, IMO. They won't change the law, they will overshadow others' sporting accomplishments, and they may jeopardise not only their own careers, but also their team. Athletes should go, be respectful of the laws (just like travellers to the ME who may need to wear head coverings or not show affection in public, or covering your shoulders in a church in Italy), or not go at all, IMO.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Angelskates

Plenty of countries have laws where it means restraining from public affection. If you can't do that, you shouldn't go there.

27. lala

lala Well-Known Member

1. I hate the Russian law!!!!!
    2. I want to that every people in the world live in peace and freedom.
    3. I want to the sport and the Olympic spirit beats everything..
    4. But I can't believe every news, article, what you show me..the situation is a little bit histeric...We have to wait , without exaggeration and histeria to be seen how works the law. Maybe this was a geste for the orthodox church, but there will be no strict. (I don't believe the construction worker's story from Sochi.. )
    5. The US media use this situation against Russia and Putin politically. (You don't forget Putin could win clearly, the Russian wanted him..that was not cheating)
    6. The guests adapt to the laws of a country.
    7. The Americans act that they would be the responsible for world peace and for freedom, but they also have a lot of sins..( you don't say me that I hate the US, because that isn't true!!!! )

28. Angelskates

I don't think any on this thread like the law, lala. What is the Russian reaction though? 400+ voted "yes" and none "no" so it would seem, politically, there isn't much chance of getting it changed any time soon. Is that true? Obviously the Russian LGBT community doesn't like it, but what about the general population? Does it have the majority support? Is it getting press in Russia, and is that positive or negative press?

29. Eyre

Eyre New Member

You should not deliberately do something that would offend the host country's custom. If same sex kissing in public is offensive there, I don't know why you shouldn't respect their wishes and restrain yourself a little and save it till when you are alone? How affection should be displayed in public varies greatly from culture to culture. It's like if you go to muslim countries, you obey their muslim laws and respect their wishes. Disregard that will only show that you are selfish and full of yourselves.

30. vodkashot

vodkashot Active Member

Custom and culture are never self-justifying in and of themselves. Racism, sexism and ableism were all once considered "customs" in many countries around the world. Why don't you try replacing where you said things like "same sex kissing" in your post with something like "treating all races equally"? Would you still find wanting to see racial equality in public "selfish"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.