Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

The Olympic Village in Sochi will be like all the others, segregated from the people so the press and tourists don't see what is really happening. The organizers always find a nice area to build the village and hotels, knowing that is where the press, families and tourists will stay and they will avoid seeing the poverty of the countries or what is really happening.

2. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

3. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It's starting to get a lot of traction on social media. Whether or not you like the timing or the fact that t doesn't put any attention on other abuses or that it's slightly hypocritical, I think it's good people are paying attention. Nothing will come of it, but I don't think people should ignore it or think it's not important because the Olympic village is supposedly safe.

4. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

I have followed this issue somewhat closely for quite some time, trying to be aware of human and gay rights issues in Russia as much as I am able, as it relates to the Sochi Games.

Based on what I have read about these issues, I have had to make an unfortunate, but what I hope is a principled decision.

That decision is to boycott this Olympics.

I will not watch. I will not support the US television stations that will broadcast. I will check results through ESPN, but I won't be able to support the ISU enough to use their website. They support the Russian Federation, which is controlled by this homophobic government with policies from the Dark Ages.

I will miss the figure skating, the hockey tournament and everything else, but my sensibilities as a gay man can not tolerate exposure to a culture so anti-gay and accept the place as the world's playground for two weeks. I can not enjoy while others are oppressed and suffering in the same region as the Olympics at the same time as the Olympics. I can't watch a Games where if I were to visit as a spectator, I would be at risk of losing my freedom.

Screw Russia, and screw the IOC. They will not get my support, even if it was to be only viewing on television.

5. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Did you feel that way during the summer Olympics in China in 2008?

6. VIETgrlTerifa

Well, nobody's perfect. People have their own limits of what they can tolerate/ignore. I don't get why people are being so aggressive about what other people care about. Yes, people have a point when they point out the dirty laundry of a particular country and how people didn't make as big fuss over it. However, does it make this particular situation any better? Different things resonate with different people.

7. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Incredibly sad what's happening to the LGBT community in Russia!! Look at all those racist homophobes?? :eek: :eek: A bunch of hyenas that's what they are.

I wonder what some of these gay skaters think about this whole situation. I mean at some point, if they are aspiring to make the Olympics, they have to be aware of it. Does it sting on a personal or moral level? or maybe they just don't care because it's not happening to them?

The silence is resounding :shuffle:

8. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

This. I still haven't decided if I'm going to sell my tickets... :( The one coach I know fairly well who is affected by this situation said he feels pretty safe since he'll be pretty isolated the whole time. I'm not so sure my husband and I will feel the same way.

9. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

10. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I just have a bad feeling about what may happen. Can't base it on anything...it's just there.

11. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Sigh. Another attempt by a stranger to try and make another person appear to be hypocritcal. Sigh. I find it unnecessarily provocative. However Jammers, I will respond.

I have mentioned before that I am aware of China's record and made efforts to change my personal life by checking labels and reducing the "Made In China" content of my own home and life over the years.

In regard to the Beijing Olympics, I did not watch any of it. Only the local news clips of Michael Phelps, which I could not avoid. The reason I did not watch? The reports of the entire work population being treated like slaves, poisoned with pollution and then kicked out of the city for the big party. Not to mention prior incidents such as students being murdered in T. Square, etc.

I will not watch this time either.

12. dardar1126

LGBT citizens are faring poorly in most of the old Soviet bloc:

http://www.hrc.org/blog/entry/moldova-secretly-passed-anti-lgbt-propaganda-law

Moldova Secretly Passed Anti-LGBT Propaganda Law
    July 24, 2013 by Maureen McCarty, Online Content and Marketing Manager

Excerpt:

Ukraine is currently debating a similar law. :(

And just the other day there were violent clashes at the gay pride event in Montenegro. Sad and dangerous times! :eek:

EDIT: via Twitter...

EDIT2:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  13. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

14. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Another take on the situation.

Not sure what Javi will think about having his picture accompany the article...

15. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

What will Javi do when his gay coach Orser is jailed in Sochi for having a "rainbow" trading pin or for having an effeminite voice while coaching or talking? What if they also jail Javi because they "suspect" that he "loves" Brian Orser?

The numerous scenarios that can be imagined are horrible.

I think only a protest in Sochi of such huge numbers as to make jailing them all impossible would be the only way to protest effectively. Otherwise, the protests can be ignored, pushed into the media background and ineffective.

Best to make a huge protest, or nothing.

16. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I quite agree with the writer. When it is a shame that anyone, athelets or spectactors, should be worried about violence against them in Sochi, boycotting or keeping away would be giving in to the idotical laws. Whatever the GLBT and pro GLTB figure skating fans will do, is up to them. I totally understand not taking risks.
    But the GLTB and pro GLTB people are not wrong. Most of the Russians I know, via my job and figure skating, think similarily.

17. dardar1126

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2013/07/24/2348921/russia-deportations-anti-gay-law-olympics/

A Preview Of What Awaits LGBT Fans And Athletes At Russia’s 2014 Olympics
    By Travis Waldron on Jul 24, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Excerpt:

18. dardar1126

A vote against a boycott:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/patrickburk...alflow&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=buzzfeed

Don’t Boycott Sochi: Use The Olympics To Change The World
    You Can Play Project co-founder Patrick Burke writes that out LGBT and “publicly pro-gay” people should not boycott the Sochi games despite Russia’s anti-LGBT environment and laws. “Show the world that there are elite LGBT athletes who are not afraid to be themselves, on and off the playing field,” he writes in this BuzzFeed op-ed.

posted on July 24, 2013 at 2:44pm EDT

Patrick Burke
    BuzzFeed Contributor

19. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  20. VIETgrlTerifa

I doubt any big named athletes or TPTB would use the Olympics as a platform. They're more worried about their prospective events and any future earning potential. It'd be nice if they did, but the cynic in me thinks they'll only do it if it proves positive for their image. Of course I would love to be wrong.

21. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I guess I missed what the Dutch visitors were detained for or what the charges are. Can someone point me to the link that explains it.

22. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Can I just point out that BOYCOTTS DON'T WORK. We've established this already. The only thing a boycott does is punish the athletes who've worked so hard all their lives for this Olympic dream.

23. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

24. dardar1126

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

Dutch Tourists Jailed Under Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law
    The Huffington Post | By Cavan Sieczkowski
    Posted: 07/22/2013 3:58 pm EDT | Updated: 07/24/2013 11:47 am EDT

Excerpt:

25. VIETgrlTerifa

Well, I'm sure the IOC and Russia have a lot to lose if there was a boycott. Don't worry abut a possible boycott. The Olympics have gotten so commercial and corporate that participating nations can't really have a point of view anymore.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  26. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

27. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Montgomery Bus Boycott

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  28. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I am on my cellphone and cannot link articles so if someone could post Johnny's latest blog for FCNP, he expressed his opinion what a boycott of the Olympics would mean to the athletes and their families.

29. jtpc

jtpc Active Member

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The Montgomery Bus Boycott was not a boycott imposed by the governement. It was a local boycott, and it lasted over a year.

The only boycotts along the same lines would be if the athletes decided not to show up or if spectators sold (or ate) their tickets and didn't travel to Russia or spend a dime there. Also if people refused to watch, and the ratings went into the toilet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.