Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

What?

2. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

This following article is not about skating, but I think it gives some insight in how people in Moscow right now are dealing with the new strictness. It is a report about this year's Moscow Film Festival where 3 gay themed films where shown. The journalist who wrote that piece 8she is austrian and a film critic) talked to the artistic director who was under pressure for that programming and to the festival director who is a friend of Putin and has some views that I find quite shocking:
    http://www.fipresci.org/festivals/archive/2013/moscow/azawia.htm

3. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

In short: Johnny and his family were supposed to feature in a Russian tv programme where he was to talk freely about his marriage and being gay but it was cancelled and their hotels and flights were cancelled too (which the tv station wanted to provide for), so it was difficult to fly out of Moscow. This happened directly after Cup Of Russia.

4. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

They filmed the show and were invited to film a follow up a few days later which is why the tv station was picking up the tabs for the extended hotel stay and change of airline tickets. Johnny's mom had gone to Russia so she was to be on the program as well. The producers invited Victor's parents and had left tickets for them to fly to Russia but when they got to the airport they were told their visas were cancelled, it was shortly after that, that Johnny learned not only was the follow up show cancelled but their hotel and airline tickets were no longer being paid for. The show Johnny and Victor did film never aired on television.

5. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

This thread has nothing to do with skating. It should be moved to its own thread. :confused:

6. overedge

overedge where's the remote?

Well, Johnny is a skater, a gay rights activist, and a fan of Russian culture. And he has (apparently) had run-ins with the powers that be in Russia because of his activism. And there will be skating at the Olympics in Sochi. This discussion seems a lot more relevant to the thread topic than a lot of discussions here....

7. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Agreed. This affects gay skaters, coaches, staff, family members and friends, plus tourists; seems highly relevant to me.

8. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

What could potentially happen to a figure skater at his third Olympics (he hopes) has nothing to do with skating? :huh:

9. Kasey

Kasey Loving on twinnies and trees! :)

Hmmm, it seems that the thread started out as talking about how the Sochi Olympics would be on par with gay rights, not so much about skating in itself; so why the hell would a thread NOT specifically about skating need to be moved to it's own thread...NOT about skating?? Someone needs to put on his big boy pants and step out of the thread if he finds it so offensive.

10. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Bless his heart...

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Look at Granddad in the corner with his 18th century views complaining and being annoying. Everyone just smile and nod at him and he'll soon fall asleep again and we can go back to what we were talking about...

12. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

Russia’s anti-gay law is incompatible with Olympic values. Should we boycott Sochi?
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/comm...lues-should-we-boycott-sochi/article13318097/
    "....for Canada it stands in direct contrast to the values for which we are internationally lauded. And while another country’s laws are rarely within the sphere of Canadian action, in this case we must give serious consideration to our participation at the Sochi Olympics in 2014."

13. overedge

Slightly OT, but I didn't notice the Globe and Mail making that same argument about protesting unfair rules when the 2010 Olympics refused to have a women's ski jumping event. Even though discrimination on the basis of gender is illegal under Canadian human rights law.

14. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I think the issues are different in that there are factors other than animus against women going into play regarding why the IOC did not include women's ski jumping in the Vancouver Olympics. The reasons noted (lack of competition, lack of nation participation, highly disparate skill-levels among the contenders) are similar reasons they give for rejecting other sports. I'm not saying the IOC was right to do it as I don't know too much about the ski jumping situation, but pointing out why the cases may be perceived differently.

15. overedge

My cynical suspicion was that it also might have had something to do with the G&M being part of the official Canadian media consortium providing coverage of the 2010 Games :p

16. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, that too. :lol:

17. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

delete

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  18. dardar1126

RUSSIA: Gay Dutch Tourists Arrested For Violating Homosexual Propaganda Ban

The Russian LGBT Network reports on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/LGBT.Russia/posts/10151483357397644

URGENT NEWS! In Murmansk city (North Russia) 3 Dutch citizens detained by the police on charges of gay-propaganda. At the moment they were released from the police station. Police compiled reports on the violation of rules of stay in the territory of Russia and the violation of the law of the "propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations among minors." Court hearing will be at 9 a.m. (Moscow time) 22 July 2013. The Russian LGBT Network provides legal assistance. We will keep you updated.
    I'll have more on this after the hearing.

UPDATE: "URGENT NEWS from Murmansk city: we have just been informed that the case with the Dutch activists will NOT be held today. We'll keep you informed about the situation."

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  19. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

While they're up there, maybe the police should also try to arrest the aurora borealis itself for waving a rainbow flag. With incidents like this one, it certainly becomes harder to dismiss concerns about Sochi as misinterpretations of the law or cultural misunderstandings.

20. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

21. dardar1126

22. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

me too but the link wouldn't copy so I deleted my post

23. dardar1126

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  24. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Netherlands is of course a major speed skating power where the Olympics are the pinnacle of careers but now a few of their citizens are In jail so will they oppose it and announce a boycott for human rights or endorse the law and Russia and send their speedskaters to Sochi?

25. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

While I would be shocked if the US boycotted Sochi because of anti-gay laws, I've been wondering if any other, more liberal, countries might do so. Has anyone heard anything?

26. Ozzisk8tr

One of the Dutch Speed team coaches is a friend of mine and an openly gay woman (Australian ex World Champion speed skater). I'll try and get her take in if anything is being mentioned. News at 11...

27. Ozzisk8tr

My friend (Dutch speed coach) wrote me back.
    Hi ******, I read an article yesterday, they said no one will be bothered in Sochi. A few gay participants have said they are going and will wear rainbow pins too sad that the Russians president is like that. It is a weird place but I think it will be ok it just one fake village, you don't even go into the city you are just stuck at the venue so not like Vancouver at all.

28. dardar1126

Yes, I expect that the Olympic Village will be a kind of "Fantasy Island"...a separate unreality to the actual, real lives of LGBT Russians, and the danger and threats that they live with every single freaking day. :(

But what about the LGBT tourists? They can't hide out in the village, they can't avoid interacting with the real Russia. So, if LGBT tourists go to Sochi, they'd better watch their backs! :scream:

It's becoming pretty clear that no government, no sports organization/federation is going to want to seriously rock this leaky boat...that everyone involved will make weak pronouncements of objection to the new law...and do nothing. :wall:

P.S. Remember that the Nazis also passed laws. They started out incrementally. Their master plan was not obvious to the outside world for years. And people like Neville Chamberlain and other world leaders tried a policy of appeasement with Hitler. It didn't work out so well.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  29. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Very lucky to get a connection to a leader of Dutch speed skating! Its what I thought was likely. Sochi or more the village will be an island and it's just all IOC and Olympics and the athletes will not be disturbed! Netherlands you have the huge overwhelming passion for speed skating vs the total commitment to human rights for all. So they will vocalize that in Sochi and not stay away!

30. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.