Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I see no reason for every skater having to respond on Twitter about this. I wouldn't even if i had Twitter because it doesn't affect me and i don't really care on way or another.

2. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

You guys don't understand. Dot didn't see it. Therefore it didn't happen. And the measure of how much someone cares about Gay Rights is whether or not they post about it on Twitter. Not how much money they give to the cause or what they say in other forums or how they treat people in real life. ;)

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  3. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

4. dots

dots Well-Known Member

It's kind of an open secret I guess.

IMO it wouldn't make any difference one way or the other, but then again we're not in their shoes.

5. Jammers

lol i love how they hint at Ryan Seacrest having a beard.

6. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Open or shut, vocal or silent, gay or straight is the right of the individual and not your right to know or not know.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  7. VIETgrlTerifa

Nobody is arguing that it isn't they're right to answer or not answer or speak or not speak or whatever. But people, like people who follow said skaters on social media, have a right to comment or pass of judgment as well since these skaters practically invite them for their own personal PR and brand benefit. You may not agree with those who are passing off said judgments and think they're being harsh or not understanding, but they're free to do so just like the skaters are free to not say a word.

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

And we have the right to comment and pass judgment on the them in their turn. The difference is that, by and large, anonymous posters on FSU don't get criticized when they don't post their thoughts, only when they do.

9. VIETgrlTerifa

Right. I mentioned that. So we should stop talking about "rights" people have or what they're "free" to do and just accept that people can comment whatever they want to. I'm not saying people's opinions are correct, but the idea that they shouldn't comment is just ridiculous.

Anyway, as for the differences between anonymous posters and public individuals...well, that's the price people pay by putting themselves out there to reap whatever benefits come with being a public persona. Once people put their lives (not professional lives but actual private life) on display, it only encourages people to want to know more about what they think or how they act.

10. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

11. Jammers

Not sure why it's a surprise considering Putin was once a KGB officer. Upholding rights was the last thing they were concerned of.

12. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

EDIT:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  13. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I can't believe....

14. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

Sochi 2014 Olympics Unsafe For LGBT Community Under Russia’s Anti-Gay Law, Activists Warn
    http://www.ibtimes.com/sochi-2014-o...-russias-anti-gay-law-activists-warn-1334223#
    Some gay rights activists like RUSA LGBT have asked corporate sponsors and partners of the Sochi Olympics -- including Coca-Cola, VISA, Omega Watches, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, Procter & Gamble, Samsung and Panasonic -- to withdraw their support and funding unless Russia can ensure the safety of all visitors to the Olympic Games. A poll conducted Tuesday by the U.K.’s Guardian newspaper, meanwhile, found that 56 percent of readers believed the U.S. should boycott the Olympics altogether because of Russia’s anti-gay law.

15. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

SkateFan66 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. dots

dots Well-Known Member

While I completely agree with everything RUSALGBT stands for, it's just not possible. Those companies have invested BILLIONS of dollars into the Olympic games. It would be too much of a loss to ever be consider. However, encouraging those companies to support gay athletes in Sochi would be a better(and more doable) option.

Obviously America is being thrown into the spotlight because American Companies (sponsors/tv rights) have poured the most money into the games. It's a noble thought, but unfair non the less. The US Olympic Committee should not be put on the spot in that way.Plus is not going to happen. It shouldn't!

17. Morry Stillwell

[QUOTEObviously America is being thrown into the spotlight because American Companies (sponsors/tv rights) have poured the most money into the games. It's a noble thought, but unfair non the less. The US Olympic Committee should not be put on the spot in that way.Plus is not going to happen. It shouldn't![/QUOTE]

I have great admiration for any athlete that is willing to risk an Olympic career, for a cause they support.

However, I have complete disdain for anyone that tries to deprive another athlete from reaching his or her Olympic goals.

It is been my privilege to work with high level figure skaters for over 40 years and I know how much of their life is invested in what may be their only on chance at Olympic glory.

18. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Sometimes there are more important things in the real world to stand up for than a "chance at Olympic glory". I'm not saying this is the case nor do I believe the Sochi Games should be boycotted. But let put things into perspective: at the end of the day, it's just an Olympic Game.

19. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

You mean, it's "just something that the athletes have worked for nearly their whole life, with many sacrifices."

20. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

^^^ It's still not life and death. If there is a boycott, the athletes will be disappointed, they will cry, some will complain .... but eventually all those will stop and they'll move on with with their lives.

21. Morry Stillwell

You have every right to make your own decisions, but downgrading an athletes feelings if they should lose the chance is a real jerk statement. :mad:

22. VIETgrlTerifa

Although in principle I do agree with you orbitz, it's easy for us to say because we're not in the athlete's shoes. We don't know what we'd do given the same situation and life experience. How many of us would give up our careers or ambitions for our principles? Sure we could find new things to do and figure something out, but it's hard when you've given your life for this one nearly impossible goal that is somehow attainable for you due to your hard work, opportunity, talent, and sheer luck. It may also be your only chance at it.

23. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I'm not downgrading any athlete's feeling. They will feel what they feel if they can't go to the Olympic but the truth is that there lives will go on and most will go on to lead productive lives. I'm just saying that there are rare occasions where something needs to take precedent over an athletic competition and arguing that "well these athletes train their whole lives for their once chance at Olympic glories" and therefore we can't cancel the competition isn't going to cut it. It's life.

You've been around for like what, 70+ years? Perhaps you can find a more mature word befitting your years than "jerk", eh?

24. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I think the athletes reserve their individual rights in making their own decisions. Everyone of us look at an issue differently, react differently and take different routes to deal with it.

25. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap New Member

The devil's in the details. I'm sure there would be a major boycott if Russia banned Jews, the handicapped, people of color, etc. Yes, the Olympics is business, but it's interesting to consider the reason utilitarianism trumps equal rights in this conversation.

26. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:confused: If Russia banned Jews, the handicapped, people of colour, etc., there will be few athletes left to compete. So it is unlikely to happen.

27. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I imagine that there are more gay athletes than athletes with disabilities in the regular Olympics (not the case with the Paralympic Games, of course). Not that it matters: the whole point is that none of these groups should be discriminated against, and yet Russia by law is discriminating against LGBT people.

I'm not in favor of a boycott, but I do hope that there will be some sort of protest at the Games.

28. Morry Stillwell

Russia has made no statements that they intend to ban anyone. They Olympic Village will be safe for everyone.

29. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Oh, great, now the athletes just have to make sure the teleporting is invented before the Olympcis, so they don't have to go to say, airport or public transportation...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  30. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

There is a major athletic event in august in Moscow. So It can be seen there if Russia uses that event as a pretext just to harass homosexuals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.