Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Openly gay Broadway star weighs in:

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.co...-russia-need-us-now/politics/2013/07/15/71089

Harvey Fierstein: ‘Boycott The Winter Olympics — Our Brothers And Sisters In Russia Need Us NOW!’
    by DAVID BADASH on JULY 15, 2013

Excerpt:

2. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny Weir-Voronov ‏@JohnnyGWeir 39m
    Propaganda. Pray for our friends in Russia. @ Sofitel Los Angeles http://instagram.com/p/b2UOWRBhVd/

Johnny had included a photo of him kissing his husband in Russia but he deleted the tweet and retweeted "Pray for our friends in Russia" minus the picture.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  3. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Looks like Russia is going back to the good old days of the Soviet Union sending people to the gulag who dare to speak out. Maybe someday they will enter the 20th century since they still seem to be in the 19th century. But then Putin was a KGB officer so freedom of speak was never big on his list.
  4. missing

missing Well-Known Member

5. Jammers

6. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: Regardless of how one feels about Snowden and his actions...
    If you don't want people to think you're drawing parallels to Nazi Germany, Senator Graham, then don't bring up Nazi Germany as an example. And really, of all the issues to criticize when it comes to Russian policy, that's the absolute worst?
  7. dots

dots Well-Known Member

8. MissIzzy

MissIzzy New Member

John Coughlin has taken exception to Graham's threat on Twitter. Though his opinion is the US Government shouldn't be allowed to order a boycott, because they don't give the athletes enough support! :mitchell: Mark Ladwig is backing him up on it...
  9. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Well, at least Coughlin is acknowledging his own self-interest in the matter. Did anyone really expect any athlete who has a shot at Sochi to be selfless in this regard?
  10. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Thanks Miss Cleo! :p

All I can say is this:

It is never a bad time to start caring about others. If the generation before us didn't do squat, it doesn't mean you have to give up on them as well.

Should I stop worrying about child trafficking just because it keeps happening? I'm sorry, but I can't.

Should I stop worrying about the horrible mistreatment of aquatic animals by Seaworld just because it keeps happening? I'm sorry, but I can't.

Should I stop worrying about women's rights just because of what is happening in Texas? I'm sorry, but I can't.

Should I stop worrying about the LGBT(Q) community in Russia just because they have been ignored in the past? Absolutely not! I would even marry a hot Russian ! :rofl:

Visaliakid. I just realized you and I are not that far away! #representCentralCali :p

The situation sounds deplorable. This is probably where most of the child [trafficking]victims come from {??}. I watched a few documentaries about the situation in Russia, and it was so so sad. The change has to come from within Russia. :(
  11. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

12. Eyre

Eyre New Member

What a clown!

Gossip much?;)
  13. Jammers

:lol: @ Russia not snooping on the rest of the world. Every country does it including all countries we call democratic. It's what intelligence agencies are paid to do to keep the country safe and you would have to be naive to not think this isn't being done. Big difference is countries like China or North Korea where there is no free speech to begin with including the internet.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  14. lala

lala Well-Known Member

15. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Nobody else has the financial might to actually carry out such a large scale snooping... As of now, what we know is US is only country doing it, and teh rest is an assumption. Just because you got caught in the act does not actually make others countries equally guilty of snooping (Which they may be doing, but no definite proof of this taking place).

As for human rights, I have heard americans going great length to say so much against Russia... In fact especially now, I don't see US is much different when it comes to rights of minority groups. The trial of Zimmerman raises several severe questions... especially race relation. Several US states have sadly introduced laws similar to stand your ground law.On the other subject, US politicians are criticising Muslim brotherhood for trying to impose Sharia, however very same politicians seem to be happy to support abortion bans because according to them their faith does not allow abortions (so they are trying to introduce a Christian version of sharia)... US is not doing great when it comes basic rights of its citizen...
  16. dardar1126

17. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

WOW, my :hat1: goes to Johnny! Very wise blog. I also feel that it is ok to be critical to a goverment - Russian, Finnish, Iraqian, whatever - but it does not mean that you dislike the people in that country.
  18. Jammers

:( i hate not being able to delete posts.
  19. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM New Member

Someone tell Mr. Graham that back then, Hitler was allowed to host the Olympics in Germany. Yes, it was before the start of WWII, but the Nazi machine was already going strong.

from 1936 Summer Games wiki page:

:respec:

Personally, I would prefer the games taking place somewhere else, there were already so many human rights violations when they were selling Sochi. But IOC chose them and we know they don't care about anything but money, the IOC is one profoundly corrupted organization, morally bankrupt. There's also the question that it seems it's too late now to do anything. And, of course, the athletes want to compete!

Maybe petitioning to the big corporations who sponsor the games is the most practical idea?
  20. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Your own posts? You can (kind of).
  21. Jammers

The IOC is a bit like the United Nations. It is full of self importance but is clueless.
  22. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM New Member

23. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

He is taking the most extreme beliefs about the bill as total fact! But there's a problem because he thinks plushenko will be skating but he publicly opposed the s petersberg bill! So whose to say he will have shows? If his belief about the law is true possibly no more plushenko shows!
  24. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Well, I don't understand the law. I talked about it with a Russian, who wrote:

-Johnny is again playing drama-queen. Kissing with Voronov in Red Square or performing to Lady Gaga is not a crime in Russia.

-Propaganda same-sex relationships among minors is administrative offence, punishable by fine $123-154 or 15 days of administrative arrest.

-source: http://www.consultant.ru/popular/koap/13_7.html#p1495 And it's not a crime. It's an administrative offence.

-It's an administrative arrest, i.e. they are not in prison with criminals. They are in a special police facility.

-I can get administrative arrest for walking topless in Red Square, for example.

I don't understand the law with google translater...but maybe that is not so serious as we thought...
  25. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Keep these words close to your heart and remember them when the day comes (probably sooner than you imagine) that the next generation complains that yours didn't do squat.

:shuffle:
  26. dots

dots Well-Known Member

No you keep them Vagabond, since that was your point to begin with.

Also keep that part where you implied that the LGBT community was selfish. :rolleyes:

It tells more about you than it tells about us.
  27. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

According to the law, public displays of affection regarded as countered to the law could result in fines, arrests or deportation. Johnny kissing Victor in public would certainly fit that description. Don't forget what happened to Johnny and Victor the last time they went to Russia.
  28. mossop

mossop New Member

EXCEPT Mr Johnny Weir!
  29. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I'm sure won't be deportation.....
  30. yaya124

yaya124 New Member

Google translation of that particular law:
    I guess it will depend on how to interpret certain degree of intimacy shown in public. If only read from the text of the law itself, it sounds not unreasonable.
  31. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

What?
  32. sus2850

sus2850 Member

This following article is not about skating, but I think it gives some insight in how people in Moscow right now are dealing with the new strictness. It is a report about this year's Moscow Film Festival where 3 gay themed films where shown. The journalist who wrote that piece 8she is austrian and a film critic) talked to the artistic director who was under pressure for that programming and to the festival director who is a friend of Putin and has some views that I find quite shocking:
    http://www.fipresci.org/festivals/archive/2013/moscow/azawia.htm
  33. sus2850

sus2850 Member

In short: Johnny and his family were supposed to feature in a Russian tv programme where he was to talk freely about his marriage and being gay but it was cancelled and their hotels and flights were cancelled too (which the tv station wanted to provide for), so it was difficult to fly out of Moscow. This happened directly after Cup Of Russia.
  34. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

They filmed the show and were invited to film a follow up a few days later which is why the tv station was picking up the tabs for the extended hotel stay and change of airline tickets. Johnny's mom had gone to Russia so she was to be on the program as well. The producers invited Victor's parents and had left tickets for them to fly to Russia but when they got to the airport they were told their visas were cancelled, it was shortly after that, that Johnny learned not only was the follow up show cancelled but their hotel and airline tickets were no longer being paid for. The show Johnny and Victor did film never aired on television.
  35. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

This thread has nothing to do with skating. It should be moved to its own thread. :confused:
  36. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Well, Johnny is a skater, a gay rights activist, and a fan of Russian culture. And he has (apparently) had run-ins with the powers that be in Russia because of his activism. And there will be skating at the Olympics in Sochi. This discussion seems a lot more relevant to the thread topic than a lot of discussions here....
  37. dardar1126

Agreed. This affects gay skaters, coaches, staff, family members and friends, plus tourists; seems highly relevant to me.
  38. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

What could potentially happen to a figure skater at his third Olympics (he hopes) has nothing to do with skating? :huh:
  39. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Hmmm, it seems that the thread started out as talking about how the Sochi Olympics would be on par with gay rights, not so much about skating in itself; so why the hell would a thread NOT specifically about skating need to be moved to it's own thread...NOT about skating?? Someone needs to put on his big boy pants and step out of the thread if he finds it so offensive.
  40. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Bless his heart...
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.