Sochi Olympic Hopeful U.S. figure skaters' media shoots/USOC portrait photos in L.A.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 24, 2013.

1. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

They do this every olympic year with people who MIGHT make the team. Then they have those pictures available for future promotion when and if they need them. Not a big deal.

2. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

EDIT:

EDIT2:

EDIT3:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  3. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

I think they realize that some of these athletes will not make the Olympic team, especially since they have done the promo shoots for more single skaters than can actually qualify for the team ;-)

4. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

and who do you think some of these skaters are that won't even make the team?!

5. misskarne

misskarne #408

Ummm...the fact that they've taken pics of at least four men when there are only two spots might suggest that....

6. dardar1126

And four ladies photographed...for three spots available.

7. shan

shan Well-Known Member

For dance and pairs we saw D/W, Shibs, and Denney/Coughlin only? I thought we might see Castelli/Shnapir.

8. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

As usual, pairs and dance gets slighted. :mad: I wanted to see Chock/Bates in dance and C/S in pairs.

9. Capella

Capella Guest

I think it's great that Evan Lysacek finally showed up for a skating event! Too bad this one didn't involve any actual skating. :shuffle:

10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I know it makes me mad too. I forgot about Chock/Bates. I guess the Shibs World bronze trumps their Nationals silver. And I guess they're not going from actual placements.

11. dardar1126

Can the USFSA named people to the Olympic team regardless of nationals placement, like they can do for worlds? :confused:

12. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

And, the fact that D/C did not compete after the GP events? USOC skipped over the US pair medalists for the photo shoot? :-( At the very least, C/S should have been invited. And Chock/Bates not there? Bad form, USOC.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

To be honest i don't see C/S making the Olympic team next year. They might be lucky to make the top 4 with teams coming back from injury like D/C and other teams passing them up like S/K.

14. figureit

figureit Member

Ya it is going to be interesting that due to the National medalists in Pairs and Dance were not invited and if the ones they have there do not make it and are passed up. Reminds me of the year that M/B where invited did this and got a coke sponsorship and never made the Olympics. I would think the USOC would be reminded of that and bring the top two or three medalist in pairs and dance..such bad form I agree.

They did that with singles but not Pairs or Dance...bummer

15. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker New Member

Some of these photos are nice, but the lighting is just horrible!

16. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

It's good for some skaters but not others... but what bugs me is Jeremy Abbott's shoot... I don't think it captures who he is as a skater or as a person(even if I'm not quite sure about this second part...). Max Aaron on the other hand is well portrayed, IMHO.

17. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

ITA, the lighting doesn't seem to work in many of the shots. I don't think all of the posing is very effective or flattering either, but photography is about taking lots of photos, not all of which will work well. I wonder if the photographers are used to taking photos of skaters, or mainly of athletes in a variety of sports. I don't recognize the photographers as being well known figure skating photographers such as Leah Adams and Jay Adeff who know more about the skaters and the sport.

I agree that Max's shoot is more successful because the posing seems to better reference his sp and the sp costume he's wearing in some of the pics. Gracie's and Ashley's shoots were pretty good and they are both photogenic, although Ashley's casual full-length shots weren't very flattering.

Jeremy seems as if he's auditioning for the role of Clark Kent. Would be cool if he's able to morph into Superman next season. ;)

I think the "Mountains" set is a very good backdrop. Probably great photos come once the subject and the photographer are relaxed and in tune with each other, which isn't always easy to accomplish within a limited scheduling timetable. Would be wonderful to see what a top-notch photographer like Annie Liebovitz could do for the skaters.

Johnny Weir has generally always tended to look good in his past photo shoots. Probably the camera loves him.

18. dardar1126

More from the photo shoot...via new Max tweet:

19. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

That is a very good picture of Max - he looks great!:)

20. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

No Nagasu? ... :shuffle:

21. misskarne

misskarne #408

Should there be?

Although if they're including Lysacek maybe there should...

22. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

A lot of hopefuls were left out. Nagasu was 7th at Nationals, Hicks who was 4th didn't go, and even though Gao was only 5th she also made the GPF and was 4th (highest of all the US ladies at 4CC) which is probably why she was sent more so than her Nationals placement. In the men's, no Farris who is JW champ and was 4th at Nationals, no Dornbush who was 5th at 4CC, no Rippon - who wasn't that great this season but was still 5th at Nats and has been considered one of the main "contender" men for a few years now. So it's not that much of a surprise. The selection might be pretty random too.

Ashley's costume pictures are gorgeous but some of those shots of her in her sweatsuit are pretty awkward/bad...at least for someone as pretty and (usually) photogenic as she is...idk if it's the smile or the camerawork but everything just looks a bit odd, and there's no reason for it, she's stunning and can take a good picture as you can see from the other shots.

23. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Jeremy and the glasses, strange. Is he going to skate with them on next year?

24. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I have to agree. Maybe it's because part of my job is art direction and working with photographers. But I'm not so enamored with these images as everyone else seems to be. Very poorly lit.

25. dardar1126

Agreed; many of the pix have an odd look about them. :wideeyes:

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

27. aftershocks

Yes, as I mentioned, I find the lighting and some of the posing very odd. Again, it seems to me that perhaps figure skating photographers or more top-notch photographers could have done a better job. These skaters are extremely good-looking people but some of the shots do seem awkward and kinda like turned around mirror-image odd-looking.

On a positive note, the good looks of the skaters salvage some of the photos. But there's no excuse for the odd unflattering casual full-length pics of Ashley. She's diva-esque good-looking and a skilled, experienced photographer should be able to deliver her best attributes in photos. Contrast Ashley's recent Jay Adeff photo shoot.

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Anyone want to guess how many winter athletes in total were photographed in the 5 days of the shoot (published on Getty Images)?

29. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

30. aftershocks

^^ Ha, ha. Wins the best shot, hands down.

Can't guess. Please tell us.

Scheduling, time limitations, and quantity of athletes are IMO no excuse for not doing a better job with the photographs, particularly the lighting. Take the time necessary.