Sochi bids for 2017 Worlds

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by clairecloutier, Apr 22, 2014.

1. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

:fragile:

2. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

:D It is a good song to sing.
    But I still vote Helsinki, even though Glasgow would be ok, too. Sochi and Stockholm no, the latter mostly because they will have the next Europeans there.

3. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

It would be very entertaining if there could be a "Glasgow Kiss & Cry". :wall: :revenge: :D

Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  4. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

any idea when the bid will be awarded? is it scheduled for the dublin meeting?

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

http://www.aroundtherings.com/site/...Championships-to-Glasgow-in-2017/292/Articles

6. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I agree with Allezfred that Olympics are not a good indicator of worlds crowds. Nevertheless at times the crowds were obnoxious. Anna Sidarova, skip of the Russian curling team, complained about the Russian crowds and asked them to show some class. Big part of the issue is lack of knowledge of the sport(s) and etiquette.

I'd be surprised if Russia did NOT bid for 2017. They are no dummies. They saw how their Olympic team was decimated in London worlds and how Canada's team became stacked. Given that Korea will be a less political (ie up for grabs) Olympics I can't see Russian Federation bypassing the opportunity to maximize Olympic team size. I think if they bid they will find a way to get it.

Glasgow. Totally. Would love to see them get it.