Sochi bids for 2017 Worlds

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by clairecloutier, Apr 22, 2014.

1. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

2. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Thank you.

O-
  3. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

There aren't a lot of feral dogs in North America and I would expect the same to be true of Northern European cities - though coyotes are a problem in urban areas. Stray dogs are usually rescued or taken to the SPCA. Not all shelters are no-kill, but no-kill is becoming the trend.

And a lot of people are getting rescue dogs from the SPCA and shelters, so a lot of stray or abandoned dogs do find homes. It's a good time to be a dog in North America in general (excepting puppy mills and situations of abuse).

Cats don't have it quite so good. More are surrendered than find homes and there are plenty of feral cats - some cat rescues focus on capturing feral kittens, but the feral cat population remains a challenge.

[/QUOTE] Sochi problems with dogs will very much pale in comparison with Pyeongchang's.[/QUOTE]

How is it worse?
  4. Meoima

Meoima Member

Koreans eat dogs. Dogmeat is their special food. :mad:
  5. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

No one is gonna care about that once North Korea bombs the Olympics with their new Nuclear bomb,

Which will start a quick nuclear chain reaction in the already pretty turmoiled Eurasia ushering in the 3rd and final World war.
  6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Cows are eaten by most non-vegetarians in the West, but are sacred to Hindus.
  7. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Do they eat dogs in South Korea? I've heard about China of course, but am not familiar with the practice elsewhere.

This is turning into a weird thread. :yikes:
  8. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

We don´t east dogs in Finland, but we eat reindeer.:scream:;)
  9. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I associate reindeer with Santa Claus, so I'm not used to that either. ;)
  10. Finnice

I just had to tell that. I know it shocks some people.
    That aside, I am sure that Helsinki would organize very good championships, but the tickets will cost a lot.
  11. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

And that has started in old days as the reindeers were a natural food for those people in Lapland who owned masses of reindeer. Like cows in cattle states of USA?
  12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I may be the only one here that wants to see Sochi get a worlds, so why not in 2017? I don't want it to become another Sarajevo, meaning the Olympic facilities unused and eventually destroyed. Of course Russia won't let it happen. They will use the facilities for other sports, but I want to see the Iceberg used for figure skating.
  13. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Kind of difficult to use or protect them when there's a war going on....
  14. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

2018 then,

It gives someone else who's ready for it a shot,
    And it doesn't reek of politics ;)

Also, More time for everything to cool down over there :eek: …Or not
  15. million$momma

million$momma New Member

I agree!
  16. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

First off, let me say that I think that the selection of a host city or country for the Olympics should take human rights into consideration. Enough was known about Russia's human rights record in 2007 (when the selection of a host for 2014 was made) that, had I been on the IOC, I would have voted for Pyeongchang or Salzburg. I think a similar standard might be appropriate for the FIFA World Cup.

If,however, one goes down the road the road of saying that countries with a poor record on human rights should not be allowed to host other international sporting events, where exactly does it end? Should Russia be allowed to host Grand Prix events but not Worlds? Should Belarus, which has a worse record on human rights than Russia, not be allowed to host a Junior Grand Prix event? Was it wrong to hold Worlds in Prague in 1962?

I do think that competitions should be held in countries where athletes, coaches, judges, officials, and fans from other countries will not be harassed or persecuted merely because of their race, religion, sexuality, etc. On the other hand, I also think that it would promote greater human understanding and international friendship if, for example, ordinary people in a host city in Russia met an openly gay skating coach from the U.S. or Canada and saw that he was just a regular guy.
  17. Finnice

According to Filip Stillers Twitter, also Stockholm has decided to bid 2017 Worlds.
  18. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Bids for Worlds 2017 have been made by Stockholm, Sochi, and, according to an article I saw on MSN... GLASGOW!!!!
  19. morqet

morqet Active Member

http://www.iceskating.org.uk/node/6923

Glasgow bid confirmed by NISA. I'm changing my vote from Helsinki to this, it's not an expensive city, easy to get to and NISA did a fab job with Sheffield.

http://sochi.mk.ru/articles/2014/04...deniyu-chm-po-figurnomu-kataniyu-v-sochi.html

I also saw another article from the Russian Sports ministry a couple of days ago saying they are not supporting the Sochi bid due to finances, they are already planning for other events such as the F1 races & bobsled events.
  20. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

So Scotland is bidding for this or GBR ? :shuffle:, so what happens to NISA if Scotland becomes another country?
  21. quartz

quartz Point of Know Return

Glasgow! I would soooo be down for that! I adore Scotland!
  22. allezfred

I'm going to be singing "Super Trouper" all afternoon now.
  23. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

I do hope Scotland doesn't vote to break up the Union, would there even be a TeamGB? However there is sk8scotland http://www.sk8scotland.org.uk/ affiliated to NISA which I am sure is more than capable of running the event :)
    Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That may be the case, but the way Sheffield was run would be independent of this, unless the Scottish affiliate was heavily involved.
  25. AnnieD

AnnieD Active Member

Good grief, just another reason why we need to vote NO in the referendum then! I'm so excited to see we're making a bid for this - having Worlds in Scotland would be an absolute dream!
  26. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Can someone explain the Scotland situation?
  27. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Scotland is having a referendum to determine if they will split from the UK. They would become their own country. They will decide in September.
  28. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Holy moly! I'm so out of the loop.
  29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

From what I've been told it will shift the politics drastically if there's a split, and that lefties in England will feel like lefties in the US during Bush-the-younger years.
  30. AnnieD

AnnieD Active Member

It's all anybody's talking about here at the moment. The idea that we'd go it alone frankly scares me but I know plenty of people who are planning to vote yes in the referendum. My own family is totally split on how to vote - it's a very personal thing. The political situation in Scotland is that we have our own government which deals with most of our political matters but the UK government still deals with other matters for example foreign policy, the armed forces etc. The current political party in charge of the UK (the Conservatives) barely gets any votes from Scotland and so the argument is, why should we be governed by a party that we didn't vote for? If we were to become independent, the Conservatives would have barely any votes and it would be up to the SNP and Labour to fight it out for control.

The referendum is being held in September and after that I guess we'll see what happens!
  31. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

:fragile:
  32. Finnice

:D It is a good song to sing.
    But I still vote Helsinki, even though Glasgow would be ok, too. Sochi and Stockholm no, the latter mostly because they will have the next Europeans there.
  33. allezfred

It would be very entertaining if there could be a "Glasgow Kiss & Cry". :wall: :revenge: :D
    Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  34. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

any idea when the bid will be awarded? is it scheduled for the dublin meeting?
  35. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

http://www.aroundtherings.com/site/...Championships-to-Glasgow-in-2017/292/Articles
  36. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

I agree with Allezfred that Olympics are not a good indicator of worlds crowds. Nevertheless at times the crowds were obnoxious. Anna Sidarova, skip of the Russian curling team, complained about the Russian crowds and asked them to show some class. Big part of the issue is lack of knowledge of the sport(s) and etiquette.

I'd be surprised if Russia did NOT bid for 2017. They are no dummies. They saw how their Olympic team was decimated in London worlds and how Canada's team became stacked. Given that Korea will be a less political (ie up for grabs) Olympics I can't see Russian Federation bypassing the opportunity to maximize Olympic team size. I think if they bid they will find a way to get it.

Glasgow. Totally. Would love to see them get it.