Sochi bids for 2017 Worlds

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by clairecloutier, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Sochi is also in Europe.;)

2. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Yes it is.

3. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

#australiaworlds2017

:saint:

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Australia would be great: it would inconvenience almost everyone equally, and it's about time.

ETA: Maybe this was the agreed-upon price for organizing 2011 Worlds.

5. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Not enthused over this news. I take it they will get it anyway.

And the crowd support/lack thereof is the least of my concerns, to be frank...

6. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

As I'm going to Boston for 2016 Worlds, it's not like I was gonna go to 2017 Worlds. So, it might as well go to Sochi.

I wonder who will get 2018 Worlds. The Olympics will be in Asia (and so will 4CC, most likely). I can't see Japan wanting a post-Olympic Worlds again. Europe will get 2017 Worlds. Canada will avoid a post-Olympic Worlds at all costs. So, maybe Australia?

7. jlai

jlai Title-less

Australia for 2018 worlds!

8. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Australia has yet to host a Four Continents. Maybe Chinese Taipei (Taiwan) will bid for 2017 or 2018 Worlds?

9. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I thought they started to dismantle the place immediately after Os?

If another city wants it, share it with someone else.

10. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

China will host Worlds in 2015. I can't see them getting it again 2-3 years later.

11. Sylvia

Taiwan is not China.

Worlds locations since 1994:

Asia (Australia): 1994, (2000 originally Brisbane), 2002, 2007, (2011 originally Tokyo), 2014, 2015 (China for 1st time)

North America: 1996, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2013, 2016

Europe: 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000 (moved from Australia to Nice, France), 2004, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2011 (moved from Japan to Moscow), 2012

12. BusyMom

BusyMom New Member

Root for Australia too.

13. misskarne

I don't know about dismantling, but they are building a racetrack around it. I hope it's ready in good time - all must be nice and organised for when Dan comes to win. ;)

14. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

:cheer: I'd love it! You know that Mr. DaveRocks and I would come!
    :lol: No, you clearly weren't there. Yes, I was. The crowd was beyond obnoxious, and yes, it included laughing at athletes. What the hell does Yuna have to do with this? Nothing. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, if it's in Helsinki, wheeeee!! If it's in Sochi, at least the crowds will be 10000% better since it'll be a world figure championship. :)

15. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

Thank you.

16. Casey2

Casey2 Member

I am bothered by the Russian takeover of the Crimea. If Russia continues to disrupt the Ukraine (and more?) should an International event be held in this venue? I ask because this is an active intervention.

euterpe and (deleted member) like this.
  17. misskarne

China was physically in Tibet, and for a very LONG time before the Olympics, when they held the Games. And they're still there.

18. Sylvia

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  19. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

And people had a big issue with it at the time and now. I'm sure people who are speaking against this for political reasons also feel the same way about the many human rights abuses (labor, environmental, privacy, etc.) that are currently occurring in China.

20. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I agree with you. Go Finland! :cheer2:

21. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

There was no practice ice during the Olympics. If that doesn't change, I think it is a good reason not to give Sochi Worlds. It was a huge inconvenience to the athletes - some of the ladies from Europe who competed in the team event went home to practice, others flew to Germany.

I am not opposed to requiring the country that hosts Worlds to uphold a standard of human rights protection, but doubt that is going to happen - especially with China to be hosting worlds.

Generally I have a bad feeling about Sochi. In part because of the anti-gay law, in part because of the damage the Olympics caused the city and the people kicked out of their homes. And I did find the audience's nationalism a bit much. I've never felt that it was so loud and 'in your face' at other Olympics, but my generally negative perception of Sochi may have heightened that feeling. The judging issues didn't help much, either.

And the stray dogs being killed broke my heart. I'm sure it has happened in other countries as well - seem to remember it happening in Greece - but I wasn't so aware of it.

It is true that most countries do some harm in the name of the Olympics, but I've not been so affected by it in the past. The Western media may have played a part in that, as generally it seemed inclined to paint a less than rosy view of Sochi - Canadian media, anyway. In addition to covering all of the above, it highlighted empty seats at events and ridiculously long line-ups, and focused on various details such as the (hypocritical) banning of alcohol - granted, this isn't very important, but it deviated from tradition, leaving some hockey fans very disgruntled and curlers unable to maintain their tradition of having the winner buy the loser a pint.

In general, the media reported a lot of negative things about Sochi. I'm sure many believe this to reflect anti-Russian sentiment, and this sentiment could have contributed to the negativity.

Helsinki might be the wiser choice, unless the ISU prefers Sochi for political or financial reasons.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

For me if Helsinki are ready willing and able to host this in 2017 than i don't see a reason to give it to Russia,

Who had 2 worlds and olympics in the last 10 years,

Or better yet, Offer them 2018, See if they're still interested, Both Nagano and Torino hosted the post Olympic worlds 4 years

after their Olympics, And if they're still as interested as they are for 2017 that would show they're not looking to politic :hat1:

euterpe and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

So no worlds in US and Britain, thanks to their invasion of Iraq and Afganistan. No picking and choosing on this subject please.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Let's have Worlds in Israel !!!!!!

Everyone can stay with me !! XD

25. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Again, I ask this question. Should we have no standards?

Your point was addressed in this thread and in the Sochi Olympic boycott thread. The reason why discrimination and human rights concerns are a bigger concern for hosting events is due to the idea of inviting people from the outside to come in. If a country has discriminatory laws against a community/communities and fail to prosecute and even encourage those who violently assault those within said community/communities, then yeah, there's a real concern.

Also, the idea of functioning democracies and governments v. oligarchies are a real concern.

Anyway, you can disagree with everything I said. But please answer my points and not just ignore all the arguments raised above by other posters so we can have a real discussion as opposed to one-liners based on lazy analogies please.

26. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

There was no practice ice during the Olympics. If that doesn't change, I think it is a good reason not to give Sochi Worlds. It was a huge inconvenience to the athletes - some of the ladies from Europe who competed in the team event went home to practice, others flew to Germany.

I am not opposed to requiring the country that hosts Worlds to uphold a standard of human rights protection, but doubt that is going to happen - especially with China to be hosting worlds.

Generally I had a bad feeling about Sochi. In part because of the anti-gay law, in part because of the damage the Olympics caused the city and the people kicked out of their homes. And I did find the audience's nationalism a bit much. I've never felt that it was so loud and 'in your face' at other Olympics, but my generally negative perception of Sochi may have heightened that feeling. The judging issues didn't help much, either.

And the stray dogs being killed broke my heart. I'm sure it has happened in other countries as well - seem to remember it happening in Greece - but I wasn't so aware of it.

It is true that most countries do some harm in the name of the Olympics, but I've not been so affected by it in the past. The Western media may have played a part in that, as generally it seemed inclined to paint a less than rosy view of Sochi - Canadian media, anyway. In addition to covering all of the above, it highlighted empty seats at events and ridiculously long line-ups, and focused on various details such as the (hypocritical) banning of alcohol - granted, this isn't very important, but it deviated from tradition, leaving some hockey fans very disgruntled and curlers unable to maintain their tradition of having the winner buy the loser a pint.

In general, the media reported a lot of negative things about Sochi. I'm sure many believe this to reflect anti-Russian sentiment, and this sentiment certainly could have contributed to the negativity.

Helsinki might be the wiser choice, unless the ISU prefers Sochi for political or financial reasons.

OTOH, I had no negative perceptions of the Moscow worlds (2005?) and Russia did step up and host when the tsunami and nuclear crisis in Japan prevented it from doing to. That probably counts for some pay-back.

27. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

28. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

That reminds me how Gailhaguet offered to host Worlds 2013 in Nice, and shift Worlds in London to 2014. I think in this case, the answer of Russian Fed will be the same as Skate Canada's was :D

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Wasn't 2013 Worlds already assigned to Canada when Gailhaguet made the suggestion? 2017 has yet to be assigned.

30. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Hmm after all the controversy over the Olympics, I have only one word - seriously???