Sochi bids for 2017 Worlds

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by clairecloutier, Apr 22, 2014.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

From 2005 Worlds, I'm sure Cohen and Petukhov would have something to say about this.

2. 96horseluvr

96horseluvr New Member

Does anyone know when the location will be announced? Sometime this summer?

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I don't see why not. You have not given an explanation for your judgmental call.

4. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Is the idea that countries should not host international athletic events when they have no regard for human rights limited to selecting the host for Olys? IIRC, there was criticism of China (and later, Russia) being awarded the Olys because of their human rights abuses. Since that criticism, Russia still has the anti-gay law -- and Olys was followed by what is essentially an invasion of Ukraine. I hope that Worlds goes to Helsinki.

alilou, kwanette, snoopy and 9 others like this.
  5. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

That was the SP in the main event, where Abbott fell on the attempted quad and hit the wall. The hugely pro-Russian crowd was absent for the Men's event after Plushenko withdrew. What remained was a NORMAL audience.

6. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

THIS.

7. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

My first thought was Russia is threatening to invade the Ukraine & who knows but by 2017 they will be attacking & trying to control other countries they formerly held & they actually want us to believe they are a friendly nation who believe in peace & harmony? Time for a reality check.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  8. care bear

care bear Active Member

Exactly my thoughts. So I am rooting for Finland!

9. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

Everyone keeps saying the partisan, unpleasant audience in Sochi doesn't represent Russian audiences as a whole. Maybe they are right; I would like to think so. However, the fact is, the political situation has changed significantly since 2005/2011 Worlds and even 2012 GPF. Tensions have risen greatly between Russia and the West. Is that why the crowds in the Iceberg were so unfriendly to all except Russians and Ukrainians? I don't know. But I do know it was unpleasant for the rest of the skaters. And I'm sorry, I don't agree it would have been the same anywhere else. It wasn't like that in Vancouver, it wasn't like that in Torino. Would the audience at a Sochi Worlds be better? Maybe, but I'd prefer not to chance it, especially at the important pre-Olympic Worlds.

10. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

Well but then sorry but Japan and US allows capital punishment and for me it's on the same level as not treating women equally to men, allowing racims and anti gay laws.

So which country can host Worlds?

11. VIETgrlTerifa

The country that has a working, functioning democracy and not an oligarchy perhaps? Even if there are policies I don't agree with (like capital punishment&#8230;in fact I hate the whole prison industrial complex), at least there is a political system that theoretically can make changes that people call for (even though my most cynical self thinks the system is skewed against most people).

This is going to turn into that Sochi Olympic boycott thread and it will be a headache. But if it does turn into that, then I'm glad people are still paying attention.

12. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

In the US, capital punishment is largely decided on a state-by-state basis. So, you could support Worlds being hosted in a state that has banned capital punishment (I think Illinois is one, I'm not sure) while fighting an attempt to have Worlds hosted in states that allow it.

13. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

If they started boycotting sports events in a country for its political views/actions, there will not be many choices left. Should the USA be banned from hosting any sporting events because it invaded Iraq? Or someone mentioned capital punishment? Because of racism?

14. VIETgrlTerifa

So we should have no standards at all?

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Standards could start with countries that don't segregate, discriminate, and potentially criminalize athletes and officials because of race, religion, gender, and sexual orientation.

16. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

The ISU congress in Ireland decides it in July.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well, they have to justify the reckless overspending somehow. :shuffle:

ETA: I see Eislauffan confirming that Iceberg Palace is supposed to remain as a skating venue. I wonder. Will the Russian Figure Skating federation try to turn it into a training centre? Or will it be used for other sports?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  18. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

:cheer:Finland:cheer:
    and most of the other EU countries, plus Norway, Iceland... There is plenty of them.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  19. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

BTW, I'm not advocating that countries must pass a political litmus test before getting Worlds.

I'm just saying that Worlds should be held in a place where we can expect a reasonably polite audience that is not too overtly partisan at the expense of most foreign skaters. Based on the Olympic experience, I don't feel Sochi meets this.

20. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

That is what officials originally said would happen. It was supposed to be moved to Rostov-on-Don.

Apparently, however, that hasn't been the plan for some time now.

Here's a news report from February 2013:

http://en.rsport.ru/olympics/20130207/643911935.html

I suppose they can always use it as a white elephant. ;)

21. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I thought they said during the broadcast that the Iceberg wuld be disassembed and had already been sold to Britian. Although I am sure the hockey arena in Sochi would serve as a fine venue as well.

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's not really, though. I am not saying that's not an important issue. To me, at least, it is. But as kwanfan1818 pointed out:

Discriminatory laws (and/or a lack of equality legislation) affect both athletes and spectators more directly than the issue of capital punishment.

If Worlds are held in Russia then, as an openly gay man, I can't go there and feel comfortable or even safe.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

These concerns seem to have gone by the wayside when awarding sporting events, but I think this is a far better reason to avoid a particular location than partisan crowds.

24. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

I have, The reluctance of International crowds and the lack of sportsmanship by the local crowd both displayed at olympics,
    And referred to by skaters, fans and veterans.

I also mentioned a cynical speculations that they're trying to politic at worlds before Olympics cause they don't trust S. Korea.

And that's even without touching the Human rights issues which i tried to avoid here, But i see others have brought up.

I think it would be a good choice to avoid Russia at the moment if there are other countries in Europe interested,
    But no one's gonna ask me, just another opinion.

May i ask what exactly happened? Because i think i know and i'm not sure that's really the same.

25. fan

fan Well-Known Member

Who are the other cities bidding? Other than Helsinki?

26. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

That's a good question, And i hope whoever they are they're all in Europe :)

27. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

While Domnina/Shabalin waited for their marks, the crowd chanted Ca-na-da. Isn't that what happened with Yuna - the crowd chanted Ross-i-ya while she waited for her marks?

28. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

:sekret:

Worlds in Europe forever bitches! :EVILLE: :cheer2:

The cheering in Sochi was obnoxious, but it's obnoxious at the Olympics. I was in Torino for the men's event and believe you me that it was a good thing we were on neutral ground because the fans from each of the six countries represented in that final group were all plenty obnoxious on their own account.

The Olympics is not a good indicator of how a figure skating crowd will be in any country.

29. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Politics aside, I would not like to see Russia get Worlds again for awhile longer; other European countries have not had Worlds in quite some time. Finland certainly is one of these. England, the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Spain would all seem fair to be favored over Russia for at least the next couple of Worlds that will be awarded to Europe.

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Seriously. While there are disinterested spouses/partners "dragged" to championships and sometimes hoards of unruly school children during otherwise sparsely attended daytime events, the skating fans aren't outnumbered by the sponsors -- hard to say if it's better if they don't show or if they do -- and the general sports fans who care little about skating and are most interested in beer and flag-waiving.

You can have overwhelming crowd favorites, like in Japan, or in Vancouver at any (long-track) speed-skating event, where there was so much orange, you'd think the Olympics were taking place in Amsterdam, but the crowds were fair, supportive, and knowledgeable, which makes all the difference.