Sochi bids for 2017 Worlds

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by clairecloutier, Apr 22, 2014.

1. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

2. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I hope that Helsinki, Finland gets them.
  3. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Sochi should not be hosting anymore figure skating events.

Do we know Helsinki's in the running ?

Who else is?
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Why?
  5. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Why not?
  6. Finnice

Helsinki is in the running.
    Even though the nationalism of the Russian audience at the Olympics was quite over the top, it would be a different audience for Worlds. At least when is was in CoR 2012, GPF 2012, and Worlds 2005, the Russaon audience appreciated good skaters despite their nationality.

I am just surprised because I thought that they are going to move the Iceberg Arena from Sochi.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  7. LittleWalt

LittleWalt Member

Totally agree with you! Helsinki would be perfect. :)
  8. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Why not? They've got a top-notch facility there, I'd like to see it being used. I don't want to see another China, where the facilities stand lifeless and useless after the Games.
  9. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

If i'm being emotional:

- Some of the international crowds that weren't turned off at the time by traveling to Russia report of having a really bad time.
    - International athletes complained about being laughed at and it was clear to see there was not much crowd reaction if you're not local.

If i'm being cynical:

-They're obviously projecting onto the Koreans from their own behaviour, And are just trying to sway some (good) heat towards
    the russian athletes right before Olympics cause they believe In Korea they would be treated unfairly :lol:

The facility is great indeed
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  10. misskarne

If you're being sensible:

Everyone knows the crowd at an Olympics is not an actual figure skating crowd. And puh-lease, laughing at athletes? I never saw that crowd laugh at an athlete. That's a ridiculous accusation.

In short: people don't want Worlds to go to Sochi because they're still whinging that Yuna wasn't good enough.
    hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  11. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Where you there?
    I don't think Eladola is talking about just FS athletes.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Well, It's not MY accusation

Besides,

Since you brought up Yuna,

Go back to her FS video and tell me what is being chanted from the crowd before her marks show up,

Disgusting imo
  13. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

14. misskarne

Um, they were in Russia. You want they were to chant, "Yuna, Yuna"? Well that ain't ever going to happen. And at an American event, you'd hear "U-S-A, U-S-A". And at an Australian event, you'd hear "Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi oi oi!".

Oh I forgot. Somehow it's only disgusting because it's Russia.
  15. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

I respectfully disagree.

That crowd has a lot of growing up to do,
    I bet Savchenko and Wagner would have something to say about this ;)
  16. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Srsly?

How … :eek:
  17. morqet

morqet Active Member

But that crowd is not going to be the crowd that is at Worlds. The crowds at other figure skating events in Russia have been respectful & knowledgeable - I don't recall any complaints when Sochi hosted the GPF in 2012.

That said, Helsinki 2017 please!
  18. Finnice

That was what they said before the Olympics: some of the buildings will be moved from the Olympic park. It felt odd, though.
  19. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It would be great if sochi got it. Except for Moscow 2005 and emergency 2011 Russia's totally underrepresented.
  20. morqet

morqet Active Member

That's what has been done with some of the buildings from the London Olympics - for example the waterpolo arena was designed to use temporary components which could either be dismantled and fed back into the construction chain for use on other projects, or takendown and reconstructed in another location. I think that one of the buildings is actually being transported to Rio for use the next Olympics, but I can't remember which one. But the Iceberg Arena does look so big & permanent that I find it hard to imagine that happening to it!
  21. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I don't see why not. Figure skating seems very popular in Russia right now. Aside from the Olympic crowd, the crowds in Russia have generally been fine
  22. Finnice

I did some googling, and they really had planned to either make it to a bicycling velodrome or move it to another country. Looks like the plans will be changed now, or they will be using Boshoi Ice Dome if Sochi gets the 2017 Worlds.

The thing I did not like in Iceberg was the stupid railings at the upper section, which blocked the way quite badly. Otherwise, it was an ok arena for the audience (f.ex. enough restrooms;)). The skaters both in GPF and Olys liked their facilities very much.

But I still vote Helsinki.:cheer:
  23. Meoima

Meoima Active Member

Please! Please let this happen!
  24. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

I know that following a very successful and packed Euros 2012 held in Sheffield, UK, the intention at the time was to aim for Worlds 2017 (earliest date) or 2018. I don't know whether NISA is submitting a bid for 2017 but I do hope they try for a Worlds Championship in the not too distant future :)
  25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

At the 2006 Olympics ice dance event (in Italy), the many Russians in attendance were loudly chanting Ross-i-yaa regardless of the nationality of the skaters on the ice. So what if they support their athletes (loudly) -- at least they attend. Perhaps annoying to some, but they were mostly just rooting for their athletes and minding their own business. Only one made a rude gesture about the USA, and my husband turned him around by buying him a drink. A couple more drinks, and by the end, my husband had him holding the US flag and chanting USA as well as Rossiya. Of course you get more Russians in Russia, but I have no reason to believe that most were just rooting for their skaters and you have the normal number of annoying people you'd have in any crowd anywhere.

I believe I heard a lot of USA chanting at the London team gymnastics event. The Olympics are just a different thing. Doesn't matter who, what, where.

The only laughing I heard in Sochi on TV was the laughing at the beginning of Bobrova/Soloviev's FD.
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Xela M

Xela M New Member

I love this :D The Russian crowds are always knowledgeable in figure skating and I think they were quite fair in Sochi. They did support Jeremy during his meltdown after all.
  27. coraczek

coraczek Member

As far I know, the prices of tickets in Sochi were horrendous. And that was the reason that the audience were not necessarily figure skating fans.
  28. Nours

Nours Active Member

Was it disgusting then when it happened in Vancouver for Virtue Moir ?
    It wasn't a big scandal.
  29. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind Worlds 2017 being in Sochi or in Helsinki. It is important that Olympic venues continue to be used and the facilities in Sochi were really nice. The Russian audience, as others pointed out, in general is supportive, knowledgeable and appreciates skaters from all countries. At Olympic Games, most of the audience does not consist of regular figure skating fans, so you don't have to expect this kind of over-patriotic behaviour at other events.

As for the Iceberg, even back in Sochi at the end of the Games Russian Figure Skating Federation officials told me that they will try to keep the venue as an ice rink. And if not, as Finnice pointed out, the ice hockey venue will be there. It is also convenient that the practice rink is right there.
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. coraczek

coraczek Member

I think in Olympics in Nagano had also problems with the audience. Maybe it wasn't "over-patriotic behaviour", but the audience was quiet and enthusiastic. And skaters complained about it.
  31. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

From 2005 Worlds, I'm sure Cohen and Petukhov would have something to say about this.
  32. 96horseluvr

96horseluvr New Member

Does anyone know when the location will be announced? Sometime this summer?
  33. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I don't see why not. You have not given an explanation for your judgmental call.
  34. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Is the idea that countries should not host international athletic events when they have no regard for human rights limited to selecting the host for Olys? IIRC, there was criticism of China (and later, Russia) being awarded the Olys because of their human rights abuses. Since that criticism, Russia still has the anti-gay law -- and Olys was followed by what is essentially an invasion of Ukraine. I hope that Worlds goes to Helsinki.
    alilou, kwanette, snoopy and 9 others like this.
  35. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

That was the SP in the main event, where Abbott fell on the attempted quad and hit the wall. The hugely pro-Russian crowd was absent for the Men's event after Plushenko withdrew. What remained was a NORMAL audience.
  36. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

THIS.
  37. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

My first thought was Russia is threatening to invade the Ukraine & who knows but by 2017 they will be attacking & trying to control other countries they formerly held & they actually want us to believe they are a friendly nation who believe in peace & harmony? Time for a reality check.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  38. care bear

care bear Active Member

Exactly my thoughts. So I am rooting for Finland!
  39. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

Everyone keeps saying the partisan, unpleasant audience in Sochi doesn't represent Russian audiences as a whole. Maybe they are right; I would like to think so. However, the fact is, the political situation has changed significantly since 2005/2011 Worlds and even 2012 GPF. Tensions have risen greatly between Russia and the West. Is that why the crowds in the Iceberg were so unfriendly to all except Russians and Ukrainians? I don't know. But I do know it was unpleasant for the rest of the skaters. And I'm sorry, I don't agree it would have been the same anywhere else. It wasn't like that in Vancouver, it wasn't like that in Torino. Would the audience at a Sochi Worlds be better? Maybe, but I'd prefer not to chance it, especially at the important pre-Olympic Worlds.
  40. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

Well but then sorry but Japan and US allows capital punishment and for me it's on the same level as not treating women equally to men, allowing racims and anti gay laws.

So which country can host Worlds?