Soccer player becomes figure skater aka Bestandigova news. (Threads Merged)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Hedwig, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Who is coaching them?

Given how no teknik Bestandigova used to be, it wouldn't be surprising if he landed his jumps but she didn't. :p

2. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Won't there be a minimum score for the Olympics then, Eislauffan?

3. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

haha:D

4. Jeschke

German Alexander Koenig used to coach them in Oberstdorf, don't know if he is still the man behind them

5. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Isn't Doug Ladret the main pairs coach in Arizona? I would think they're working with him if they're still there.

6. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That is a very decent, clean double twist with good height. :)

8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Once the element is homologated :)

I hadn't seen this thread before. It is very interesting to read their process.

9. kapriza

kapriza Member

they're now officially listed to Nebelhorn Trophy.
    http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028005.htm

according to their facebook page they are training with Doug Ladret but also trained jumps with Patrick Brault. also a lot of videos there.
    I love their story and I'm totally cheering them on :respec:

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Tiffany Vise and Don Baldwin are assisting Doug Ladret in the coaching.

Olga BESTANDIGOVA / Ilhan MANSIZ (TUR) are scheduled to compete/test out their programs in a club competition exhibition in Los Angeles (Golden West) on August 30-31. The competition is supposed to be live streamed - a link will be posted eventually in the TV Alerts forum and a competition thread started in Kiss and Cry for Golden West.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  11. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia. Wow that sounds exciting! :kickass:

12. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a minimum score, but it is not too high.

Alexander König who coached them in Oberstdorf, told me that they are coming back to Oberstdorf to prepare for the Nebelhorn Trophy.

13. Jeschke

yeah, voidy pair will be seen before nht! thanks so much. can't wait to see the results of this experience.

14. Meteorlight

Meteorlight Active Member

Holy crap I've JUST put two-and-two together and realized who he is, thanks to a Chinese sports news piece and its 1000+ comments from soccer fans (didn't remember him by name before)! Now please excuse me while I unleash my 2002 World Cup-obsessed fangirl self for a moment ... this dude was a total baller (lame pun intented) and sooo cute back then :swoon: Awesome rainbow trick ftw!

Major props to he and his girlfriend for making this multi-year committment and really following through on their dream. Chances of them making the Olys must be slim, but I've got my fingers crossed for them and wish them the best of luck :)

15. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I saw on their FB that they're up to double Sals and triple throws. No idea if they can make that work in an actual program, but if they can, they might have an outside shot at qualifying. I hope they'll skate well, regardless of the outcome.

16. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

^This. And, I hope they try to get to Worlds and at least skate at Europeans regardless of whether or not they make it to Sochi. He could draw a lot of positive attention to the sport in Turkey and attract sponsors that might be able to help promising skaters in the future. Lots of upsides to competing this season.

17. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I doubt they can manage the minimum score for Worlds at their current technical level - remember, it's higher than for the Olympics. Euros might be doable, however.

Does she have Turkish citizenship?

18. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

That's why I said try to get there ;). She said she was cleared by ISU to represent Turkey on heir FB page and based on the comments it sounded like that was the last missing piece. Maybe she was already granted Turkish citizenship? Or it's contingent on qualifying? Either way, all other competitions should be fair game now -provided they meet the min TS requirements.

19. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

I predict: Narumi Takahashi & Ryuichi Kihara (JPN), Tatiana Novik & Andrei Novoselov (ROU if Russia release them), Stacey Kemp & David King (GBR), So Hyang Pak & Nam I Song (PRK did they ever got out of the country?), Miriam Ziegler & Severin Kiefer (AUT) to make the olympic cut.

Very curious to see what they can do though.

20. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Julia Lavrentieva/Yuri Rudyk skated really well at 2013 Euros and if they can replicate that, I'd pick them for an Olympic spot (128 combined total). Not sure how close to that form they are, though.

21. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

That's five teams. There are only four spots for pairs.

22. Jeschke

with ziegler totally new to pairs? same for the japanese man :D

we will see

23. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

That would be surprising to see Russia release a pair team before Sochi. Novik/Novoselov are very good and would take one of the spots if released.

24. Skittl1321

Cleared by the ISU isn't the same thing as being eligible for the Olympics though.

25. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

If only citizenship were the only thing standing in the way of the Olympics :shuffle:.

26. Skittl1321

But as many teams from the past will tell you- it doesn't matter how good you are if you don't have the citizenship.

27. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

That's very true. Takahasi/Tran were the latest casualty in that war of attrition. The point I was trying to make is that for B/M, the Olympics are a good good way to attract attention, but I think they would do more good for the sport in Turkey by competing at more events, like Europeans and trying to get the min TS for Worlds. Think increased visibility for pairs skating and all the sponsorship he could attract is more of a win-win than a long-shot Olympic appearance.

28. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

Martini & Kiefer split??? I wasn't aware of that

29. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Oh, I wasn't aware that Miriam Ziegler turned to pairs! I was so sorry not to see her compete in singles after her great Junior days - it is good to see that she is not lost for the sport!

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!