Soccer player becomes figure skater aka Bestandigova news. (Threads Merged)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Hedwig, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Ok, should we do a poll, betting on who will be more successful - Ilhan in pairs or Andreev in ice-dance? :lol:

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:lol:

3. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

:rofl:

For the moment Ilhan is winning 3-0.
    He is already dating his partner, he has won Skating with the Stars and he has appeared in a shampoo commercial on his skates.
    And all this, without the help of his mother.

4. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

It is very easy to answer this one:
    PURPLE!:HA!:

5. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

This is already quite an old thread - are these two still skating?

6. lulu

lulu New Member

Now we can add a new poll question, who will be more successful in pairs, KVP or Ilhan? :p

7. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Am pretty sure we would have heard about it if they still planned to compete. It's very possible they could still do shows and the like, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmw8xVLX1Yg (no idea what she said, or if any of it is relevant, but it's the latest video of her I could find)

ETA: Strike the above. Apparently, Sochi is something they'd still like to try for according to this. The article mentioned trainining in the US in May 2012, but don't know if that actually happened.

http://sport.cas.sk/clanok/218706/o...line-trenovat-so-slovakom-asi-s-vittekom.html

Mean-spirited theory: article came out March 7th, so before new minimum TS were announced. That might explain scraping plans to travel to the US and train....

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  8. schiele_

schiele_ New Member

https://twitter.com/mansiz26
    This is Ilhan's twitter account and according to recent tweets, plan Sochi is still on.
    On 10th september, he twitted he completed 2 training sessions and has 2 more to go. So seems they are training every day.

9. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

^Thanks! If they can afford it & don't mind daily training, more power to them.

10. icetiff

icetiff New Member

Ilhan and his partner just started training in Scottsdale, AZ and are taking from Doug Ladret.

11. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

If you ever happen to see them training, please let us know how they look.

ETA: thanks for the update!

12. icetiff

icetiff New Member

They are on the ice when we train. They are looking good. His basic skating skills are amazing. You would never know that he didn't grow up skating. He's very strong and off ice they can do many of the pair lifts. On ice the lifts are coming and his feet on the turns are impressive, not scary. Oli is a very good partner for him. She's a strong pair girl.

sbanet and (deleted member) like this.
  13. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Sounds like they made some good progress since they first teamed up over 2 years ago. Thanks again for the reports & good luck in SLC ;)!

14. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I'm really curious about this pair. I hope to see them next year! :kickass:

15. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

16. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks for the update. I haven't even heard of him until I read this thread, but I think I have my new favorite pairs team. :p His skating sounds very impressive, and I can't wait to see them skate in competition. :cheer2:

17. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

18. schiele_

schiele_ New Member

Well, when I watched him on the Dancing on Ice show, his progress was mind boggling. I know he's an athlete, so he has a natural advantage over others but still.. The others really couldnt compete with him in any way. Even then a lot of ppl said he was a natural talent and he was insisting on being shown new and more difficult moves in training although he didnt need them to win. I think he immediately has gotten fond of skating and his pleasure from skating came across.
    I know its almost an impossible dream but all the more power to him for following it through..

19. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

If nothing else, making this much progress in 2 years as an adult skater would make an excellent inspirational story for anyone who starts skating later on in life. I really don't know how realistic Sochi is, but it's always better to try and have no regrets later on :respec:

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And there are other competitions besides Sochi.

Turkey has never had a pair team and it would be great to see them compete at some international competitions at least.

21. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I thought his career-ending injury was to the left knee. :confused:

Thıs is too much information about football for me, but you just can't escape it! :scream:

22. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Thanks icetiff!

Does anyone know how his solo jumps progressed? Excerpts from October 2011 Absolute Skating interview:

Updates are greatly appreciated. Mind boggling progress indeed, how much can an adult skater achieve with athletic talent + limitless resources + strong dedication in 4 years?

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

New article in The Guardian: Ilhan Mansiz: from World Cup hero to Olympic pairs figure skater?
    ("Death star spirals" :lol:)

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, Sylvia.

It will be quite heartbreaking to watch them finish dead last at Nebelhorn Trophy. :/

25. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Any training reports from Arizona? ;D

26. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'm adopting "death star spirals" -- what a great concept.

27. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

They might finish last but by participating they get their chance to qualify maybe as substitutes eventually. Not all countries qualified might use their spots (as we know from the past) and not so many countries have pairs anyway.

For the 2010 Olympic Winter Games, there was even one spot in Ice Dance left vacant as not everybody qualified wanted or could use their spot. The Greek-Canadian dance team had citizenship issues I think and the Swiss couple (or their Federation) were stupid enough not to go to Oberstdorf and try to qualify.

28. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Performing death star spirals needs to be a new rep level.

I saw that he's up to training double jumps, which, considering the depth of the pairs field, means that they might not finish last in NT. I wish them well, either way. It's pretty cool for a footballer to try to do this, and at such a late age.

29. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

wish them all the very best!!

it would be soooooooo cool to see them in Sochi ....

30. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

That is true, if you are already a world-class athlete with phenomenal physical strength and stamina, have more money than you can spend in a lifetime, you are a national hero and heart-throb with sponsors forming a queue and therefore take no risk by spending some of your best years having fun in the rink with your girlfriend.

In such a case, you can dream along at any age, no matter what. ;)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013