Soccer player becomes figure skater aka Bestandigova news. (Threads Merged)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Hedwig, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Oh ye of little faith! My money's on them to kick the Indian pair's a$$es! :kickass:
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

3. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I think we see quite enough. :shuffle:
  4. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

"The negative things is that Ilhan has to learn figure skating." :rofl:
  5. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Nah, he's not much worse than Bestandig :p
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I loved that part too. :biggrinbo
  7. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Yes, the coach is doing very well in interviews, but I hope he's also giving Ilhan a dose of reality. In another video I saw them practicing an overhead lift off-ice - they didn't show the entry but it could only have been a lasso lift. With one hand and a one-hand dismount. :eek: Why on earth do you think they were practicing this lift? They wouldn't attempt it on ice, would they? Shouldn't he learn his back crossovers first?

Olga Bestandigova is too sweet and way too young. Just saying.
  8. Artifice

Artifice Guest

It's interesting to see what a total beginner in FS, though a talented sportman, can do under great coaching conditions and with an experimented partner.
    This will show how far it is possible to go when starting late and with more than perfect training conditions.

Wait and see.
  9. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I think he will. Alex K├Ânig is a very good coach and one based in reality as well.
    When I asked him about the pair he was laughing a bit and said that it is good that he is training other couples as well because they won't be winning World medals. ;)
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well athletes always do more things off-ice than on-ice.

He might as well get ready with the bigger elements, so they are there as his basics progress.

This is a very fascinating experiment and I hope they last.

I wonder if the Turkish federation is funding them?
  11. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I hope not. Ilhan Mansiz is not a skater and he has the means to fund the Turkish federation rather than vice versa. I know for a fact that the fee he earned for "skating" in the one shampoo clip I have linked above equals the funding Tugba Karademir received during her last two seasons, corresponding to her coaching, choreography, off-ice, equipment, travel and health expenses during these two seasons. Furthermore Ilhan received approximately the same amount as prize money for having won the Turkish "Dancing on Ice" and he donated that entire sum to charity. He is very much is demand for advertising and he just has to pick up the phone to find sponsors.

Plus if the federaton had a say in the matter, they would team up Olga with any Turkish skater and it would work better.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

He must be loaded then (although that's not exactly surprising given he played for top level football clubs for years).

Let's hope that he really gets involved in skating and doesn't quit a few months down the line, because if he does maybe he will fund some Turkish skaters.

Thanks again for all the info. :)
  13. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Even if he doesn't fund them himself he could really bring in the sponsors if he tried and that would be a terrific contribution. I hope he realizes the need and tries. He looks like a really nice guy.

Tugba was not able to find a Turkish sponsor even for Olympic year. Except for her club from which she received a modest stipend.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes, if he acted as the "face" of the Turkish Figure Skating federation he could do a lot of good.

I guess it's a slim hope, I would imagine he doesn't know anything about figure skating. But maybe somebody will educate him. ;P
  15. grandma

grandma New Member

DSL German Sports Television will be having Mansiz as a special guest on tomorows football show at round about 7pm GMT+2.
  16. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I'm guessing he thought this was better than getting her name tattooed on his chest! :lol:

How do you say "Toe Pick" in Turkish?
  17. wustfan

wustfan Member

18. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Turkish soccer star eyes Olympic ice-skating glory
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE69R16620101028
  19. Ninchen

Ninchen Active Member

I think they'll report about this pair on German Tv RIGHT NOW:
    on Sat1: Kerner
    I just saw a short preview about a football player who becomes pairs skater, so...

ETA:
    I enjoyed watching it :) Perhaps there will be a rerun and someone is able to record.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  20. grandma

grandma New Member

http://www.faz.net/s/Rub987B0DA694D7435 ... ntent.html

new article, pretty much the same as before except that they are saying that they are getting more coverage by the media than for example Hausch /Wende who also train during the same times on the ice in Oberstdorf
  21. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Ok, should we do a poll, betting on who will be more successful - Ilhan in pairs or Andreev in ice-dance? :lol:
  22. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:lol:
  23. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

:rofl:

For the moment Ilhan is winning 3-0.
    He is already dating his partner, he has won Skating with the Stars and he has appeared in a shampoo commercial on his skates.
    And all this, without the help of his mother.
  24. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

It is very easy to answer this one:
    PURPLE!:HA!:
  25. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

This is already quite an old thread - are these two still skating?
  26. lulu

lulu New Member

Now we can add a new poll question, who will be more successful in pairs, KVP or Ilhan? :p
  27. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Am pretty sure we would have heard about it if they still planned to compete. It's very possible they could still do shows and the like, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmw8xVLX1Yg (no idea what she said, or if any of it is relevant, but it's the latest video of her I could find)

ETA: Strike the above. Apparently, Sochi is something they'd still like to try for according to this. The article mentioned trainining in the US in May 2012, but don't know if that actually happened.

http://sport.cas.sk/clanok/218706/o...line-trenovat-so-slovakom-asi-s-vittekom.html

Mean-spirited theory: article came out March 7th, so before new minimum TS were announced. That might explain scraping plans to travel to the US and train....
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  28. schiele_

schiele_ New Member

https://twitter.com/mansiz26
    This is Ilhan's twitter account and according to recent tweets, plan Sochi is still on.
    On 10th september, he twitted he completed 2 training sessions and has 2 more to go. So seems they are training every day.
  29. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

^Thanks! If they can afford it & don't mind daily training, more power to them.
  30. icetiff

icetiff New Member

Ilhan and his partner just started training in Scottsdale, AZ and are taking from Doug Ladret.
  31. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

If you ever happen to see them training, please let us know how they look.

ETA: thanks for the update!
  32. icetiff

icetiff New Member

They are on the ice when we train. They are looking good. His basic skating skills are amazing. You would never know that he didn't grow up skating. He's very strong and off ice they can do many of the pair lifts. On ice the lifts are coming and his feet on the turns are impressive, not scary. Oli is a very good partner for him. She's a strong pair girl.
    sbanet and (deleted member) like this.
  33. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Sounds like they made some good progress since they first teamed up over 2 years ago. Thanks again for the reports & good luck in SLC ;)!
  34. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I'm really curious about this pair. I hope to see them next year! :kickass:
  35. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

36. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks for the update. I haven't even heard of him until I read this thread, but I think I have my new favorite pairs team. :p His skating sounds very impressive, and I can't wait to see them skate in competition. :cheer2:
  37. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

38. schiele_

schiele_ New Member

Well, when I watched him on the Dancing on Ice show, his progress was mind boggling. I know he's an athlete, so he has a natural advantage over others but still.. The others really couldnt compete with him in any way. Even then a lot of ppl said he was a natural talent and he was insisting on being shown new and more difficult moves in training although he didnt need them to win. I think he immediately has gotten fond of skating and his pleasure from skating came across.
    I know its almost an impossible dream but all the more power to him for following it through..
  39. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

If nothing else, making this much progress in 2 years as an adult skater would make an excellent inspirational story for anyone who starts skating later on in life. I really don't know how realistic Sochi is, but it's always better to try and have no regrets later on :respec:
  40. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And there are other competitions besides Sochi.

Turkey has never had a pair team and it would be great to see them compete at some international competitions at least.