So You Think You Can Dance? - Season 9!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by kwanatic, May 24, 2012.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Many of those sent directly to Vegas aren't really shown on the auditions.
    I don't recall seeing him, Holley; but, will see if I can find him anywhere.

2. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I think they showed a very quick clip of a guy singing, but we didn't get to see his actual audition - one of those deals where they showed a quick montage of people getting told they're going to Vegas (while they spend all this time showing not as good dancers who don't get to go to Vegas, but have a "story" ).

3. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies! No, Lisa said they showed a few seconds of him doing some type of leap, but it wasn't representative of what he truly does. Maybe it was separated from the "singing" part. But since Lisa taught him, I figure she recognized him. Hope he makes it!

4. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

As of June 1, my cable company no longer carries Fox. No more SYTYCD for moi. :(

5. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

wow -- I thought there was an FCC requirement that cable companies must carry broadcast stations as long as the broadcast station wants that, and I'd be surprised if Fox didn't want it. But, perhaps the rules have changed.

(Let me guess...they added another shopping channel. That's what Comcast does every time they decrease my basic service.)

6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I wonder if they staged that? I can't imagine he thought it was good. I could barely tell that he had any technique at all, yet Nigel knew he did. It was so weird.

http://www.cballet.org/thecompany/jacobsen

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

From the clips I've seen of the choreography sessions, it's like most dance; taught by example, so language shouldn't be much of an issue.

I agree. Nearly all of the back-stories and the "too-old-or young-to-compete" people who are there only for Nigel to get that faux sensitive look on his face and encourage them to follow their dance dreams are the reason I love my PVR and fast-forward button.

8. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

^^^This.^^^

Thank god for the fast-forward function: the ability to :scream: and escape from smarmy setups, etc. is a requirement in order to enjoy the show.

9. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Debbie Allen, ugh. I sense some crying. And pretty girl does gross out. Well, she's on the show. :blah:

10. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Nigel called blue hair guy mesmerising one minute after I typed that on Facebook. That was so lovely and original. I hope Boris can do other types of dance.

11. Matryeshka

I wouldn't want to see a lot of hip hop to piano, but that was extraordinary. Much better than Fart Girl, who looked more like a competition cheerleader and had no connection to the music--no relation to the beat, the melody, or lyrics. She has a pretty toe point, I'll give her that, but I'll bet she's all kicks and teeth.

12. Matryeshka

The Atlanta auditions must have just sucked if they're wasting our time with this. And if the "Wolfman" got a ticket to Vegas, they must have really been in dire need of dancers.

13. rjblue

Karate guy was fun, but his ballet was painful to watch. I can't imagine he'll make it out of vegas unless he can learn to create an appealing line.

14. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

Just popping in to say how much i love this show.. unlike so many of the other reality shows this one to me is just so amazing given us the opportunity to see such talented kids.. loved the karate guy.. what a great sense of balance he has.. too bad his parents hadn't put him in dance too when he was little as has such great athletic skills but I have a feeling in might be a quick learner :) So nice for them to re-cap Melanie.. she is an incredible dancer.. wander what she is doing now? Would loved to see her dance..

15. 4rkidz

well Jenelle (sp) is just gorgeous.. what beautiful costumes..

16. rjblue

Is she that good a belly dancer? It seems to me that I've seen a lot better. I think I'd like her better in other genres. I'm glad they sent her to choreo and not directly to Vegas.

17. 4rkidz

I agree.. actually I wish they would send more to choreo and show a bit more of that section as they learn the dances - i miss that part.. don't mind missing the results show (except for introducing and showcasing other dancers).. i'm just glad it's still on as they have cancelled it in Canada :(

18. Matryeshka

I'm surprised we don't see more belly dancing. Am shocked that the belly dancer has to go to choreography and karate went to Vegas. It just seems so :confused: For the record, I'd have sent Karate and Fart home, and Belly to Vegas. With those moves, you know she could do some :smokin: ballroom. Though that was not the best example of belly dancing I've ever seen, I think she showed enough variety to get the chance.

I also have to confess, it was a belly dancer that got me into SYTYCD. I was flipping channels, it was Season 2, and she was the last person and it was just nothing I'd ever seen before. Never saw her again, but it got me involved in the show.

And I've always wanted to learn to belly dance (I certainly have the belly for it).

19. rjblue

I looked at some youtubes and I've raised my rating of her belly dancing. The women I've seen before have been much curvier (which I think makes the dance look a lot more appealing) but she compared quite well with the champion videos I've just looked at.

20. rjblue

I thought Karate went to choreo too. He should have.

21. Matryeshka

No, Kevin inexplicably went to Vegas after his "ballet"

Despite the bacon, I like this girl. I really like her zipper on the back of her swimsuit.

22. rjblue

Yeah, I liked her in spite of them trying their best to turn me off. Her dancing had a nice quality to it, and her oddness didn't seem forced.

23. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

It's now ESPNN.

Dunno about the FCC requirement, but apparently the local FOX affiliate pulled the signal when they could not come to an agreement with Time Warner, parent of Insight, over fees.
    http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012306060085&nclick_check=1

24. 4rkidz

i was never a fan of this kind of 'dancing' before this show.. and now I am really starting to appreciate the art aspect of it.. the isolations of their muscles and movement is really incredible.. I think it must look even better live.. not sure how they will getting out of Vegas but I certainly appreciate the opportunity to see this..

25. rjblue

I loved all three of them. This kind of dancing is now becoming very refined and technical and I was very happy that they let his dance go on and on. It's not like break dancing with one trick after another, it's something amazingly precise.

26. 4rkidz

I loved George.. such a passion for dance.. even though he has to watch his sickle foot... but great athleticism and passion.. and great lines (with more focus on turn out from the hip).. but they can work on that..

27. rjblue

Was George the purple shirt guy? I missed his dance and only saw the judges saying he was the best yet.

28. Matryeshka

After Los Angeles, I'm finding Atlanta a little underwhelming. I feel like some of the ones sent to choreography (and didn't make it) would sail right through here.

Still a step up from last year's auditions though, especially since they've clearly decided that viewers DO NOT want to see a zillion horrid auditions--one montage per show is enough, thankyouverymuch.

29. 4rkidz

yes he was.. huge grand jetes, fast pirouettes but his turnout wasn't great.. athletic modern ballet style.. I agree LA auditions were stronger..

30. Glide2

Glide2 Member

The change in format to one show a week was a blessing in disguise. It forced them to focus the edit of the show on better dancers.