So You Think You Can Dance? - Season 9!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by kwanatic, May 24, 2012.

1. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I know-I still can't believe it. It's incredibly simple and fast to do.

2. Simka

Simka Member

Isn't anyone watching the finale tonight? Rjblue, where are you?

3. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I'm not watching but I just saw that Eliana won. For the first time ever in the history of the show, my favorite wins.

4. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

And Chehon won! :wideeyes:

I really did not see that coming!

Frankly, I'm quite happy.

5. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Happy with both winners. :):):)

6. Simka

Simka Member

Woohoo! Great news!

7. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Wow America has learned from all these dancing shows. The right result all around.

8. Holley Calmes

Can't believe it! I am so thrilled!!!!!

9. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

Fabulous results for each! Particularly surprised but thrilled by Chehon's win.

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I suspect that in a year, casual observers will say Cyrus won, just like Twitch, Dmitry, and Alex won and Nappy Tabs are authentic hip hop choreographers.

I'm thrilled that a university/sorority bloc vote didn't squelch Eliana. Now if the same could happen with Football Team Nation on DWTS.

11. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Very happy for Chehon and Eliana.........very deserving of the wins.......America got it right!!..........(even without us Canucks voting :))

12. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I just am watching now.

This best of show is reminding me how awful this season really was.

I still can't tell the difference between Audrey and Tiffany.

Witney did that hip hop routine better the first time around.

13. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

14. Holley Calmes

Two of my little teenage bunheads stuck this up on Facebook. I think it's hysterical and appropriate since the two "ballet" people won.

http://ohballet.tumblr.com/

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I just saw the Lion King group number and dare I say that Ade just absolutely killed it. Just amazing. It's so sad to me that he's such a fantastic partner that choreographers don't showcase him more because of how he can support his partner.

Witney also did really well in that routine. Again, I was surprised.

16. Simka

Simka Member

Just one question... Since they choreographed a new number around Cyrus for the finale including two all-stars and a choreographer, do we get a ballet number with Eliana, Chehon, Alex Wong, and Desmond Richardson?

17. Simka

Simka Member

Another note... They have so few actual "best" routines from the season that this show is full of filler!

18. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the dancers this season, but the choreography seemed much weaker on average than in any of the past several seasons.

I do not understand why they keep Tyce around as a choreographer at all, and I would not put Mandy Moore far ahead of him. And despite all the tongue baths, Travis' choreography is pretty boring, imo. I hope they do a refresh on the choreographers if there is a next season.

19. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

The choreography sucked most of the time.
    I can only remember Elliana & Alex. And Chehon's Paso.

20. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

It looked like the judges/choreographers went out of their way to choose each of the top 10 ten dancers as their favorites. Will have to go back and check.

I am positively thrilled with the results!

21. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

It's the minimum hours rules that kill. The general luggers and tuggers are in a different union than the set design folks so they're new people to pay. If they could just hire folks for 30 minutes or use the set folks, it wouldn't cost that much. They can either hire them to install then pay them to sit around until the removal, or they can pay minimum hours for the install and again for the removal. It does add up.

22. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'm not surprised that they spread things around. Sasha and Melanie could barely stand for the results when they were announced last time. IIRC, both of them had 5 routines on the performance finale and another 7 on the results night.

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Amen to that!

24. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I was so disappointed that my local station is still repairing their antenna and I didn't get to do pbp for probably the final time. I'm happy Eliana won!
    I can comment on the season as a whole though; and I think the last few weeks have been great, and it almost made up for the doldrums of the middle season.

I think Mia did some of her best pieces this season, and some of the new choreographers were great.

25. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I almost skipped the finale, but glad I watched. I barely remember what got shown though - am I dreaming or did Tiffany perform 3 times, while the other finalists performed only twice? I liked the new Christopher Scott dance - but was someone else supposed to perform? I saw Christopher do a couple of side checks to see where others were - he obviously did the choreo really well, but it looked like perhaps he wasn't originally slated to perform. And it doesn't seem likely that he would perform that piece on tour, so who will instead?

YAY getting to see Amelia and Will. Honestly, that and "Bang Bang" were the highlights of the finale.

SO HAPPY for Eliana and Chehon :cool:

26. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I remember thinking the exact same thing when they were dancing side by side after they made the show.

27. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Yes you can, just look at the feet. Audrey's are pointed and arched, Tiffany's are not very flexible so her feet don't point well.

Did I miss something? Apart from group numbers, did Tiffany get 3 routines, plus group numbers? Eliana got 1 plus group numbers? Chehon 2, and Cyrus 2 with one of them being new. Did I miss an Eliana routine?

They skipped most of my faves: the 2 Sonya routines from week 2 (Amelia/Will; Audrey/Matt) and anything with Allison.

So the prize this year was $100,000 and a magazine cover? Anything else? I know there are 2 of them, but in the past, winners got $250,000 and a car or Gatorade ads (which I assume paid something).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  28. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I don't think so ... last night I was wondering/worrying if Eliana only getting one routine was a bad sign about the final results, but perhaps it was to throw Tiffany a bit of a "consolation prize"?
    While I was happy to see Amelia/Will again, even if it was just in their first week's "Love Cats" routine, I would have much preferred their week 2 from Sonya. And I was hoping that Alison would appear last night -- perhaps she had a conflict?

Since I wasn't able to watch any of the shows for three weeks, I didn't even know who had made the finale until I saw promos for last night. So very happy that Eliana and Chehon won! :cheer2: Surprised that Cyrus didn't, but glad that Chehon was the men's winner.

29. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I also liked the cats number with Amelia and Will.

30. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

So happy for Eliana and Chehon!!! I did notice that during the big group hug at the end as the camera was panning around they got Alex Wong screaming 'BALLET!!!" and pointing at the winners. :lol: Well, if his achilles hadn't ruptured I have no doubt he'd have won his season, thus making three ballet winners.