So You Think You Can Dance? - Season 9!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by kwanatic, May 24, 2012.

1. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

DAMN. I want to see the full version of these montages, especially that first guy. They must not have been able to get their music approved. Just those shots were so much better than Alexa. :blah:
  2. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

They really want me to hate this "poor abandoned" child. My brain keeps telling me that she must've been a spoiled entitled brat. How dare they not let her live at home and dance and get lessons without working or helping out. We have no idea, so don't tell us the story.

eta- next comment- As a Maritimer I adore watching a good step dancer, and I think that's why I loathe watching a tap dancer. For me, when the feet do that the upper body should be motionless. And he was kinda creepy.
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  3. Matryeshka

BJORK!!!! I will vote for her for that alone. And that her mommy loves her.
  4. rjblue

Megan's face danced really well. She's my second favourite. (I missed last week's episode due to a power outage.)
  5. Matryeshka

Cole's MINE. MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE. I claim him.

I'm so stoked for this season. Only two shows in and there's stalkability. This has been an incredible night of dance so far--which is probably the kiss of death--but the first hour has been so worth it.
  6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

This, and the staged questions about "does your family support you?" :rolleyes:
  7. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

The guys seem to really stand out individually this year... the women, not so much.
  8. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Watching for the first time and I'm loving this.

Wheel man was so cool. I can see him on America's Got Talent more though.

I cried over Cirque pole dancer - she was moving. And shed tears over the girl booted from her home.

Now, poor man's Ron Weasley with the "Dream Lover" stuff was bad, but is that stuff scripted?
  9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

That had to be.
  10. rjblue

That had to have been planned. Surely no trained dancer would choose to perform so badly unless they knew it was for TV scripting. I won't comment on his shirtlessness because my daughter is sitting beside me, reading my posts.
  11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Nicole Bobek weighs in:

12. Matryeshka

MAN MONTAGE! I had to go walk the dogs, so just now watching the circus dude.
  13. rjblue

Bwah- My son is heading for bed and he says "Just wait, she's going to roll on the floor, and then I'll head up to bed."
  14. rjblue

I was just about to post a complaint that they haven't shown any ballroom dancers yet, and then they cut to Robert in the choreography round...
    where was I...?
  15. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I missed this again? WTF?!?! Second week in a row!
  16. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Sad kicked out girl made it. I'm a sap for these stories.

And brother and sister car crash :fragile: I need tissues!!!
  17. Matryeshka

Johnathon was :rofl: and I'd totally vote for him and Angelique.

Johnathon, wheel guy, and pole dancer girl need to team up and do something fabulously voidy.

I don't know if I could handle Jasmine and Pole Dancer girl in the same season. :smokin:
  18. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Its only going to be on Wednesday's now. I almost missed it to. :)
  19. BaileyCatts

Who was the male ballet dancer Nigel like yelled at and told him he was awful and do some real dancing (or something along those lines) ... and then he did impromptu routine and was perfect? What was his name? Is the clip on You Tube?
  20. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Haven't seen the show yet. But I found out yesterday a young man I know from Atlanta made it to Vegas....did they show Atlanta last night?
  21. pair mom

pair mom New Member

No Holley...last night was just Los Angeles. Next week seems to be Houston (?) and Atlanta...and agree that the 'not ballet' guy must have been scripted! ;)
  22. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

"Not ballet guy", hereafter known as NBG must have been an invitee. In addition to calling back the Vegas survivors from the previous year, I know they invite some folks to audition directly for the judges without going through the cattle call/producer process.

ETA, "thrown out girl", or TOG, seemed to be a setup too. If I have a minute, I'll see if there's anything on her on the core dance boards. From what they showed, she might be a competition invitee (very pretty, decent dancer, sad story). BTW, Nigel, it's possible for a parent to support their child's dancing, and, at the same time, be upset that the child's dancing is keeping them from doing other things that the parents feel are important. Don't judge unless you've heard both sides.
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  23. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

The scripted auditions were lame, IMO. I just want to see fabulous dancing!
  24. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

I loooooved the pole dance girl who turned out to be so so beautiful as a ballerina !! And the blond chick despite the crying. NBG was funny but I wanted flipping guy to go to vegas :::
  25. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

It was weird because LA auditions were at the end of the audition process-not early. And they only showed judging form day 2 since Stacey Tookey was the 3rd judge day 1.

Some of you may also be interested in watching S2 winner Benji Schwimmer's Mormon stories.

Part 2 is where he talks about SYTYCD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZgIACujltE

All 3 parts are incredibly interesting. He talks about his sexual identity and how it was like being attracted to same sex and trying to be a true blue Mormon. Part 3 was very emotional for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6RBOvYDW4Y
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  26. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Wow -- I just listened to parts 2 and 3 this afternoon and evening. Part 2 had lots of interesting background on SYTYCD, but part 3 was a rawly emotional accounting of his coming to grips with being a gay Mormon, including desperate attempts to "get over" the attraction to men, and then his eventual decision to leave the church. Faith is clearly very, very important to him -- he's certainly culturally a Mormon -- and I don't know how anyone could listen to this lengthy interview and continue to think that being gay is simply a choice. Very, very powerful.
  27. Matryeshka

I really wonder about some of the dancers in the LA Auditions. That was BY FAR the best night of auditions (over all) I've seen in several seasons. I can't even imagine what dancers of that caliber would get out of SYTYCD. :confused:

Pole dancer girl, Ron Weasley--WTH were they doing there? They have real careers in dance (and they should). Although I will say, I would love for both, especially Weasley. to make it. Too often, I think male dancers--especially ballet--get a "pass" on some technical flaws simply because there aren't enough of them. I feel this way about the Aussie guy--had he been a girl with that same technique, at best, she would have gotten choreography. Weasley, however, can freaking dance.
  28. Cocomo

Cocomo New Member

Stephen Jacobsen http://youtu.be/SJUhnNZVgCw his brother is Joseph Jacobsen former pair team with Amanda Dobbs.
  29. BaileyCatts

^ Thanks for the link. But why in the world did he do that awful bit in the beginning? I mean, I could almost do that. :shuffle: Did he really think that was good?!? :confused: The second routine was beautiful, but that whole audition didn't make sense at all. Why not just come out and do what he did after Nigel yelled at him?
  30. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Well, I just found out that our Atlanta boy auditioned in LA and was on the show this past week...he was the one who "sang" for a Vegas ticket and got it. My dear friend and ex-artistic director has taught this young man, and she says they showed a short leap or something of his, but it wasn't flattering at all-he's much better than what they showed. His name is Michael...something. My friend says he is INCREDIBLE. Ballet/contemp.

Anybody remember him? He's light skin toned African American by way of description.